The One-Hit Wonder Thread!

Anderton

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Givin' It Up for Your Love - Delbert McClinton

One of my favorite performers, not much Top 40 success.

Delbert probably was under your radar, several Grammy's and Grammy nominations.

"If there is one artist who embodies the true merger of blues, rock, and country, it's Delbert McClinton. Starting out his career as a blues musician in his native Texas, McClinton played harmonica for such notables as Howlin' Wolf, Jimmie Reed, and Bobby "Blue" Bland. In 1960, he became the first white artist played on Fort Worth station KNOX with his cover of "Wake Up Baby." On a tour of England with Bruce Channel, he gave harp lessons to a young John Lennon. He recorded behind several artists and formed a duet, Delbert & Glen, with friend Glen Clark, but did not release his first solo album until 1975, Victim of Life's Circumstances. He wrote "Two More Bottles of Wine" for Emmylou Harris, and "B Movie Boxcar Blues" for the Blues Brothers.

Through the 80's, Delbert eschewed recording for live performances, and did not release another album until 1988, with Live From Austin, which earned him a Grammy nomination. He didn't get his first win, however, until the 1991 duet with Bonnie Raitt, "Good Man, Good Woman." He has released a fairly steady stream of excellent music since. He's been nominated for "Midnight Communion," off his 2005 release, Cost of Living."

:wave:Delbert is an acquaintance - and Hero of mine ;)

But good call on Norman Greenbaum, beat me to it.

• Members

Fire - The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Truly an amazing record.... could only have come from England, I think. He gave Jim Morrison a run for his money.

My uncles, teenagers at the time, had this 45.... I was about 6 years old and played it over-and-over, circa 1969.

Gotta love the way this song builds to a climax.... I for one didn't foresee the big horn section coming in at the end (on such a weird, left-y record)... and dig the flanged white noise thing.

This is kind of like an Alice Cooper or Marilyn Manson song before its time.

• Members

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I just spotted a 1-Hit Wonder station on AOL radio. AOL radio is free as long as you have a Free AIM screen name. It has a good quality stream and decent selection on channels. Some of the XM starions are included. I usually listen to the Rock Intrumental, Progressive and Jazz Fusion channels.

AOL Radio

Ah Hah's Take on me just came on while typing this.

Archived