The One-Hit Wonder Thread!

Anderton

• Members

Roxy Music is one of my favorites. They never did do well in America. I think "Avalon" and maybe "Angel Eyes", but that was it. Roxy was of course huge in Europe, but most of the people I've talked to state side have never even heard of them.

I covered "Love is a Drug" in three different bands. That is the hit from them I hear most on the Radio.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
The Hollies, "Air That I Breathe"; that's all I can remember, correct me if I'm wrong.

The Hollies had a TON of hits before Graham Nash left for Crosby, Stills and Nash. Bus Stop, Carrie Anne, Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress, He Ain't Heavy, and the list goes on. Good stuff for the most part.

• Members

I don't think anyone has mentioned "A Little Bit of Soul" by the Music Explosion.

"Mule Skinner Blues" by The Fendermen, a band out of Wisconsin.

The Fendermen kind of leads back to the Minneapolis label SOMA which was founded by an early giant of record rack jobbing, Amos Heilicher. SOMA also had 1HW with Surfin' Bird by the Trashmen and Liar Liar by the Castaways.

• Members

Frankie is technically a Two-Hit Wonder. Remember the video to "Two Tribes" with Ronald Regan wrestling Soviet Premier Konstantin Chernenko?

He should get credit for another hit just for those huge font white t-shirts everybody wore in the 80's... "Frankie Say..."

• Members

Anyone remember "Timothy" by the Buoys? A nice little song about cannibalism.
It was written by Rupert Holmes in an attempt to generate controversy and get publicity for the group. If you were around in the seventies and don't know it, it may be because it was banned in several markets.

"Trapped in a mine that had caved in
And everyone knows the only ones left
Were Joe and me and Tim
When they broke through to pull us free
The only ones left to tell the tale
Were Joe and me"

• Members

Anyone remember "Timothy" by the Buoys? A nice little song about cannibalism.

It was written by Rupert Holmes in an attempt to generate controversy and get publicity for the group. If you were around in the seventies and don't know it, it may be because it was banned in several markets.

"Trapped in a mine that had caved in

And everyone knows the only ones left

Were Joe and me and Tim

When they broke through to pull us free

The only ones left to tell the tale

Were Joe and me"

LOLOLOLOLOL. :lol: I don't remember it from when I was a kid; it was probably banned on KTSA, the San Antonio Top-40 AM radio I listened to as a little kid... I had to wait to be 33 years old to hear it on a RHINO recomp.

• Members

Not strictly a 1HW--- they had a lesser follow-up with "Get Up And Boogie"-- but they did have a brief moment of visibility.

This curious video is a lot of fun... Were they German? I think I'm in love with these three disco honeys :love::love::love: Just watch 'em git down!

(1976)

• Members
The Fendermen
kind of leads back to the Minneapolis label
SOMA
which was founded by an early giant of record rack jobbing, Amos Heilicher. SOMA also had 1HW with Surfin' Bird by the Trashmen and Liar Liar by the Castaways.

Soma was part of Heilicher Brothers (Amos and Sam IIRC), the distributor that eventually evolved into Pickwick International. Pickwick International also owned the Musicland chain and bought the Sam Goodys chain. The Heilicher guys eventually sold the business to American Can (of all things). The name Soma was derived from Amos spelled backwards. I worked for a while as remastering engineer for Pickwick records, their label that would re-release old albums by a variety of artists. If you have any of those sitting around from about 1976-78 or so you will find my name on the back of many of them. I don't know if that is good or bad. :eek:

• Members
Soma was part of Heilicher Brothers (Amos and Sam IIRC), the distributor that eventually evolved into Pickwick International. Pickwick International also owned the Musicland chain and bought the Sam Goodys chain. The Heilicher guys eventually sold the business to American Can (of all things). The name Soma was derived from Amos spelled backwards. I worked for a while as remastering engineer for Pickwick records, their label that would re-release old albums by a variety of artists. If you have any of those sitting around from about 1976-78 or so you will find my name on the back of many of them. I don't know if that is good or bad.
:eek:

Well it was the Twin Town sound. :thu: Everybody refers to them as Garage Band records. But my recollection is that MPLS garages are way too cold.

It was Amos and Danny and IIRC they sold Pickwick to Hartz Mountain (that would be birdseed) and then it went to American Can. Then through about 3 more iterations to history.

• Members
Everybody refers to them as Garage Band records. But my recollection is that MPLS garages are way too cold.

You got that right. A bit before, and during, the time that I worked at Pickwick I was doing some freelance engineering doing demos, etc. in a few studios around Minneapolis. Some of the equipment that I used was the same type used for some of the Soma hits and can be seen in the first two pix here: http://www.pbase.com/rking401/studio_stuff

• Members

You qualify as a true 1HW connoisseur if you remember this little oddity (From Germany? The Netherlands?) which charted ever-so-briefly in the USA in 1971:

It may have been a Eurovision number, I'm not sure... They were famous at one time for always having nonsense syllables as hooks and titles (Remember the Python's satire called "Bing Tiddle Tiddle Boing" ?)

• Members
You qualify as a true 1HW connoisseur if you remember this little oddity (From Germany? The Netherlands?) which charted ever-so-briefly in the USA in 1971:

"Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep" by Mac & Katie Kisson

It may have been a Eurovision number, I'm not sure... They were famous at one time for always having nonsense syllables as hooks and titles (Remember the Python's satire called "Bing Tiddle Tiddle Boing" ?)

I don't remember it, but somehow I kinda picture Scooby and Shaggy being chased by a ghost or something with that song in the background. :)

Archived