The One-Hit Wonder Thread!

Anderton

• Members

When the alarm clock went off yesterday morning they played "... the people out there turn the music into gold", was the song called "Gold"? Had Stevie Nicks on background vox, was it Jon Stewart?

Maybe as an artist it was John Stewart's only hit, but as a writer, start with Daydream Believer for the Monkees and Runaway Train for Rosanne Cash, and on...

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Pick Up The Pieces - Average White Band

Jackie Blue - The Ozark Mountain Dardevils

Greeneyed Lady - Sugarloaf

True - Spandau Ballet

Just to be nitpicky, other hits:
AWB: Cut the Cake
OMD: Unk Elijah
Sugarloaf: I have their GH, and I know there's some other tunes from the radio...
Spandau: I've always like that song! :thu:

• Members

Maybe as an artist it was John Stewart's only hit, but as a writer, start with Daydream Believer for the Monkees and Runaway Train for Rosanne Cash, and on...

Didn't he also have some kind of connection with the Kingston Trio, like one of their sons or something?

• Members

"Liar Liar" by The Castaways.

I bought this record while it was in the top 10 when I lived in the D.C. burbs in 1965. In December of that same year we moved to Minneapolis (brrr). Being the new kid in high school at the time I was VERY impressed when I saw posters all over the school promoting the homecoming dance featuring "The Castaways". I thought to myself, "This is great, they bring national acts in from California for a high school homecoming dance". Little did I know that "The Castaways" was a Minneapolis based band that was made up of "kids" just a couple of years older than I was at the time.

I love the original, but first heard the Deborah Harry version which is great too.

• Members

Alley-Oop - The Hollywood Argyles

He got a chauffeur that's a genuwine dinosawruh

(Alley-Oop, oop, oop, oop-oop)

And he can knuckle your head before you count to fawruh

(Alley-Oop, oop, oop, oop-oop)

:D

great, great record, Jeff.

Now here's a real test of your 1HW memory:

"Dr. Jon (He's My Medicine Man)" by Jon & Robin and The In Crowd (1968) All I can surmise is this record was an attempt to sound like Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood?

. Basically a very funny parody of a stoned "Dylan" type song...

• Members

Am I too late for the party? I have a thing for one hit wonders. I think these qualify.

Electric Avenue - Eddy Grant

Toy Soldiers - Martika

Promises, Promises - Naked Eyes

Love My Way - The Psychedelic Furs

Tainted Love - Soft Cell

True - Spandau Ballet

Don't Disturb This Groove - The System

Eddy Grant also had a hit with the theme song from the movie "Romancing The Stone."

Martika also had a few singles, including, "More Than You Know," her first signle (Toy Soldiers was the only one to go #1 though).

And I believe Naked Eyes had a MUCH bigger hit with their cover of "Always Something There to Remind Me"!

Psychedelic Furs also had a bunch of other hits too, including "Heaven," "The Ghost In You" and the theme song to the '80s Molly Ringwald flick, "Pretty in Pink."

"Tainted Love" was Soft Cell's biggest hit by far, but '80s diehards remember them for "Sex Dwarf."

Spandau Ballet also had other hits like "Gold" and "Only When You Leave."

And The System's "You Are In My System" put them on the map before the bigger hit "Don't Disturb This Groove." They also had a minor hit with the theme song to the Eddie Murphy film, "Coming to America."

Sorry, don't take it personally, I love refuting One Hit Wonder theories :)...My favorite is Wang Chung, whom EVERYONE assumes "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" was their sole hit song, when in fact "Dance Hall Days" was their real big hit a few years earlier.

• Members

Mama mia, what a question!

I own the 3 volume rock and pop lexicon, circa 2572 pages which lists all top ten hits in the USA, UK and Germany since 1940:

"Hit-Lexikon des Rock und Pop"
http://www.ullsteinbuchverlage.de/ullsteintb/buch.php?id=10346&page=suche&auswahl=a&pagenum=1&page=buchaz&PHPSESSID=0cbfb157c25f253f6fae31a4be3aa410

There other lexicon which list Australia , Africa, Asia etc.

• Members

Ha, so many on this list I disagree with...e.g., James Gang? Walk Away wasa bigger hit than Funk 49, wasn't it?

But anyway here are my ywo contributions--sure signs of one hit wonders is that there are multipe versions: studio, acoustic, live, anniversary edition.

Dishwalla--I don't even know the actual title of the "Tell me all your thoughts on God..." song, and I'm glad about that. Something like Pink Plastic Pliers or Tiny Bronze Regrets...

and Of course

Deep Blue Something...

Verve Pipe: Freshman

• Members

I think the definition needs to be narrowed. I would disqualify artists with good album sales, artists well established within their non-mainstream genres, artists who used multiple names for their creations and artists successful in other countries. To me, a true one hit wonder is an artist that had one and only one hit song and absolutely no other success. These artists either disappear or are spotted in oldies revues only.

• Members

Going back a bit further: "Bobby's Girl" by Marcie Blane.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3huz_ET4iuc
This song was arranged by a fellow (Billy Mure http://www.nygirleatsworld.com/ny_girl_eats_world/2007/02/i_am_predispose.html ) who I had the pleasure of meeting a couple of months ago. He is now 91!! years old and still gigging whith HIS band every Sunday evening at "Squid Lips", a club in Sebastian Florida (about 15 miles up the road from me). He is about to sign on to do more gigs on other nights at other clubs. He is doing it because for the love of the music and the fun. He is still a very good guitar/banjo player.

• Members

:eek: Gee, just how hot was Gayle McCormick, the little filly who sang lead on this great 1HW from 1969:

The world of R&B produced so many 1HW's... Rock history is filled, sadly, with stories of many black 1HW's who got screwed out of their subsequent royalties.

I got to know Eddie Holman, III, the son of this fellow who had the 1HW hit in 1970:

The younger Holman is a drummer who grew up in Philly. He was tagging along with his dad in the recording studios in the 70's... He was literally present, as a little boy, in the studios when all those incredible Gamble-Huff smash records were being recorded... Can you IMAGINE???? :eek: I was jealous! I don't think Soul recordmaking-- in dense, rich stereo-- gets much better than all those Philly Soul sides...

He told me that on his Dad's record, listed above, that the backup vocals near the end were done by none other than Nicholas Ashford and Valerie Simpson. :thu:

• Members

Dishwalla--I don't even know the actual title of the "Tell me all your thoughts on God..." song, and I'm glad about that. Something like Pink Plastic Pliers or Tiny Bronze Regrets...

Title is "Counting Blue Cars".

Also:

"Black Betty" by Ram Jam

"Take On Me" by Ah Ha

"Talk Talk" by Talk Talk

"Billy Don't Be A Hero" by Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods

"The Night Chicago Died" by Paper Lace

"King Tut" by Steve Martin

"West End Girls" by the Pet Shop Boys

"One Tin Soldier" by Coven

"Relax" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood

• Members

"Marianne" - by Terry Gilkyson & The Easy Riders, 1957

This isn't absolutely the first song I fell in love with as a kid -- but it's the first one where I really got personal with it. As far as I was concerned it was "our song" -- shared with my kindergarten GF (named Mary Anne, what else?). That relationship didn't make it past the first few days of first grade (we'd both grown apart... we just didn't enjoy the same things anymore... she liked spelling... I liked dodge ball... I knew it was over before the first weekend of the new school year)...

Worse yet... I lost track of the song almost completely.

I don't think I heard it a single time between 1958 or '59 and 2005 or 2006 when I remembered those more innocent times, my love for that song, and for my golden locked first love -- and decided to try to find the song.

I didn't know who it was by or anything about it, except that the refrain was something like Mary Anne by the Sea Shore... I didn't even realize it was supposed to be a calypso song (and Harry Belafonte was a god in my household, so I was pretty hooked into the calypso thang).

[Come to think of it, the very first girl I kissed and called my girlfriend -- before kindergarten -- was also named Mary Anne... I don't think I've thought about how ironic that is since back then. Well, there were a lot of Mary's in those days. But no wonder it was such a deeply resonant song for me, then. Heck, I really bonded with Leonard Cohen's "C'mon, Marianne," too. ;) ]

Anyhow -- I was drop-jawed to realize that my favorite song from 1956-57 was by Terry Gilkyson -- father of Tony Gilkyson, who played guitar with X for a few years (and I saw a few times), as well as of singer-songwriter Eliza Gilkyson and Nancy Gilkyson who was a VP of Warner Bros for 20 years.

It is a small world... after all.

• Members

You're right, Elsongs. A lot of "one-hit wonders" had one major hit, and at least one, or possibly several, minor "hits" that got some limited airplay, but perhaps didn't make the top 20.

But there definitely were true One Hit wonders in the absolute sense, never having any other hit aside from that one song that everyone knows...

• Members

Title is "Counting Blue Cars".

"Take On Me" by Ah Ha

"The Sun Always Shines on TV" and the Bond theme "The Living Daylights."

"Talk Talk" by Talk Talk

You don't remember "It's My Life"? No Doubt did, they even made a cover version that became a hit in itself!

"West End Girls" by the Pet Shop Boys

Of any of the artists you mentioned, PSB is anything BUT a one-hit wonder: "Opportunities (Let's Make Lots of Money)," "What Have I Done To Deserve This," "It's A Sin," "Suburbia," "Domino Dancing," "Always On My Mind," the list goes on and on.

"Relax" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood

Frankie is technically a Two-Hit Wonder. Remember the video to "Two Tribes" with Ronald Regan wrestling Soviet Premier Konstantin Chernenko?

• Members

"Talk Talk" by Talk Talk

I think OHW's who name their bands after the song destined to be their One Hit belong in a special category. A very special category. It seems, to me, the very pinnacle of One Hit Wonderdom...

Such bands clearly have a sense of their own destiny.

• Members

80s:

"Shaddup-a You Face" - Joe Dolce (1980)

"Double Dutch Bus" - Frankie Smith (1980)

"Take Off" - Bob & Doug MacKenzie (feat. Geddy Lee) (1981)

"She's A Bad Mamma Jamma" - Carl Carlton

"I Want Candy" - Bow Wow Wow (1983)

"IOU" - Freez (1983)

"Sex Shooter" - Apollonia 6 (1984)

"Da Butt" - E.U. - (Marcus Miller produced this!) (1985)

"Misfit" - Curiosity Killed The Cat (1986)

"Cars With the Boom" - L'Trimm (1987)

"Waiting For A Star to Fall" - Boy Meets Girl (1988)

"Heaven Help Me" - Deon Estus (Feat. George Michael) (1989)

90s:

"Unbelievable" - EMF (1991)

"Deeper Shade of Soul" - Urban Dance Squad (1991)

"Rico Suave" - Gerardo (1990)

"Informer" - Snow (1990)

"Do Anything" - Natural Selection (1991)

"Right Here" - BBMak (1999)

"I'll Be" - Edwin McCain (1999)

"Blue" - Eiffel 65 (1999)

00s:

"D-D-Don't Stop The Beat" - Junior Senior (2003)

"Heaven" - DJ Sammy (2003)

Okay I'm tired...There's tons more...

Archived