The One-Hit Wonder Thread!

Anderton

• Members

Now I have a question to pose you all:

How can an act
have
just a One-Hit Wonder? How can a small cluster of folks command the ear of the nation-- sometimes the world--- for three months or so.... and then fade completely out of sight?

How can a person be ultra-hip one moment-- in touch with the
zeitgeist
---- then be totally out-of-touch the next?

Is it that they piss someone off-- a powerbroker-- within the industry, who puts the kibosh on their career?

Or maybe they really weren't very talented at all to begin with--- they just linked up with a superb songwriter/arranger/producer?

Or maybe they get too strung out on booze or drugs to follow up on their on-hit?

Thoughts?

I've noticed that many, if not all 1HW songs are tunes that are rather unique sounding (either are of a decidedly different, yet accessible genre or the subject matter of the lyrics are of an unconventional nature) and come out of left field, yet the artist doesn't have the right combination of consistency and range to sustain their career. Obviously when you make your mark as an artist, you want people to be familiar with you and your sound/image, etc. But at the same time you don't want to make the same song over and over again. The more successful artists who sustain their careers show that balance.

A perfect example: Madonna. "Burning Up," "Holiday" and "Borderline" were not the same song by any stretch, ,yet they established a sensibility about her as an artist (certainly MTV helped immensely) that people caught on to, and still catch on to today.

I've also noticed that most artists who have had hits earlier on in their career and make a sudden comeback much later in their career (i.e. Cher, Clarence Carter) make their return to the charts with a song that has 1HW characteristics. If some unknown singer came out with "Believe" then that artist would no doubt become a 1HW, but Cher's already existing celebrity status gave it even more weight.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Didn't Golden Earring have a hit with "Twilight Zone" in the early 80s?

Don't really remember that one, but I do remember hearing about it now that you mention it. They had a minor hit with Candy's Going Bad from the Moontan album as well...

As previously mentioned in the thread, it depends what you call a hit. For example, Looking Glass got some decent airplay with their song Jimmy Loves MaryAnn, but everyone knows them for Brandy. Same with Sugarloaf and Don't Call Us, We'll Call You - they're the Green Eyed Lady band.

I guess to be a true one hit wonder though, you'd have to be there and gone...like Bo Donaldson, Terry Jacks, Lighthouse, Ides Of March, Shocking Blue, etc.

dB

• Members

In a Gadda da Vida--Iron Butterfly

Were Iron Butterfly a one hit wonder? :confused: They were popular during the era of album oriented rock. I have at least 2 of their albums, In Gadda da Vida, and Heavy. I didn't listen to "Top 40" radio in those days, so I don't know how many of their tunes made the charts.

• Members

Didn't Golden Earring have a hit with "Twilight Zone" in the early 80s?

There was a 1HW chart hit, circa 1979 or 80, of a record called "Twilight Zone/Twilight Tone" by The Manhattan Transfer.

Also hard to call this record a 1HW, because that band has long had a sterling career in jazz circles. (Watching this video, I'd forgotten how magnificent a singer Janis Siegel was... Dig the groovy guitar solo as well... Who IS that? Jeff Lorber?)

• Members

Mama mia, what a question!

I own the 3 volume rock and pop lexicon, circa 2572 pages which lists all top ten hits in the USA, UK and Germany since 1940:

"Hit-Lexikon des Rock und Pop"

There other lexicon which list Australia , Africa, Asia etc.

Angelo, Du m

• Members

Loudon Wainwright III - Dead Skunk
I know he's put out a lot of material, but this is his only song I ever heard on the radio.

Seems to me Tom Rush had a version of "Who Do You Love" out in the mid '60's that got a good bit of airplay.

Five Man Electrical Band - Signs

Wet Willie - Keep On Smilin'

• Members

There
was
a 1HW chart hit, circa 1979 or 80, of a record called

Also hard to call this record a 1HW, because that band has long had a sterling career in jazz circles. (Watching this video, I'd forgotten how magnificent a singer Janis Siegel was... Dig the groovy guitar solo as well... Who
IS
that? Jeff Lorber?)

Also Manhattan Transfer had a bigger hit from that same album with, "Boy From New York City."

• Members

I don't remember seeing Lean On Me by Bill Withers...or Drift Away by Dobie Gray. I think those are both good...

dB

Because Withers had other hits as well:

"Ain't No Sunshine"

"Use Me"

and in the early '80s with Grover Washington Jr. on "Just the Two of Us."

• Members

I was going to post a wretched pop song from way back, called "A Little Bit of Soap". I entered it in amazon.com to see who'd done it, tried to listen to a clip, and my Mac said "You are trying to download a file hurl.exe. What would you like to do with this file" :D :D :D I kid you not!

• Members

I was going to post a wretched pop song from way back, called "A Little Bit of Soap". I entered it in amazon.com to see who'd done it, tried to listen to a clip, and my Mac said "You are trying to download a file hurl.exe. What would you like to do with this file"
:D
I kid you not!

LOL, Botch. I'm familiar with the 1961 version by Garnett Mimms.

• Members

To me, a 1hw is a song by an artist that you never hear from again. Many of these songs in this thread, the artist had significant subsequent success.

But it has been a very fun trip down memory lane. It makes me think of... people these days say "they" don't promote acts very long... on to the next big thing. As if it wasn't that way back when!

• Members

"Whatcha Gonna Do"--Chilliwack

"Feel The Way I Feel"--Max Webster

Golden Earring also had a minor hit with "Bullet Hits The Bone".

It might be arguable that Roxy Music's only hit was "Avalon".

Ambrosia, "Make A Wish" (?) They also did a cover of "Magical Mystery Tour" that made it to 45. Really good, too.

Bay City Rollers, "Saturday Night"

Dr. John, "Right Place, Wrong Time".

The Hollies, "Air That I Breathe"; that's all I can remember, correct me if I'm wrong.

The Jimmy Castor Bunch, "Bertha Butt Boogie"

Jim Stafford, "Spiders And Snakes"

C.W. McCall, "Convoy"

Did Janis Ian do anything more hit-like than "At Seventeen"?

Klaatu, "Calling Occupants"

• Members
I was going to post a wretched pop song from way back, called "A Little Bit of Soap".

I've got that!

:) I had that song on three album set when I was a child called 40 Funky Hits I bought off TV. It had a ton of great stuff on it I never found elsewhere.

"Shimmy Shimmy Koko Bop" Little Anthony and the Imperials
"Alley Oop" Hollywood Argyles
"Stranded in the Jungle" The Jayhawks
"Hot Rod Lincoln" Johnny Bond
"Kookie, Kookie (Lend Me Your Comb)" Ed Byrnes
"Dirty Water" The Standells
"Beep, Beep" The Playmates - my kids love this one.
"Surfin' Bird" The Trashmen
And a favorite of mine: "Sister Sooky" by The Turbans, which you can hear
right here! You have to scroll down a bit.

I think many of these were OHW's.

• Members
Golden Earring also had a minor hit with "Bullet Hits The Bone".

That's "Twilight Zone." :) "Bullet hits the bone" is just the last line in the chorus.

It might be arguable that Roxy Music's only hit was "Avalon".

Oh come now, there's just got to be "MORE THAN THIS!" (pun intended :))

• Members

Ambrosia, you're thinking of "Biggest Part of Me", but that wasn't their only hit. I think "How Much I Feel", and "You're the Only Woman" were also big hit for them. .

A single for Ambrosia's version of "Magical Mystery Tour" also charted...it was one of the singles culled from the "All This And World War II" soundtrack

Archived