The One-Hit Wonder Thread!

Anderton

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dexys Midnight Runners - Come on Eileen

Their only hit in the US, they were more successful in the UK.

Yeah, I guess it was the same with "A-Ha" (Take On Me)...they only had one hit here, but they were huge wherever they were from (Sweden? Some Scandinavian country, I think)...

• Members

I think OHW's who name their bands after the song destined to be their One Hit belong in a special category. A very special category. It seems, to me, the very
pinnacle
of One Hit Wonderdom...

Such bands
clearly
have a sense of their own destiny.

You must not be familiar with Talk Talk's haunting Spirit of Eden album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IegVfzEbjyc

Talk Talk was far more than a one trick pony.

• Members

Wake Up My Mind - The Uglys

Je T'aime - Jane Birkin

Gotta love this daring, raunchy record by

This means: "I love you. Me neither."

Typical Gainsbourgian wordplay.

Native Instruments great VSTi called "B4" features a preset called "Je T'aime" which seeks to replicate the unique Hammond sound on this recording.

I don't know if those Gainsbourg hits ever charted in the USA?

How could I forget this incredible record which was a 1HW in the USA:

(1966) Am I right in remembering that this record was a Crewe/Gaudio answer to Phil Spector's Righteous Brothers? The Walker Brothers were an American trio who had moved to Britain and enjoyed a MUCH bigger career over there than they ever did stateside. These days, I think Scott Walker is known for putting out some very weird, experimental music?

• Members

I'll put one more on the list.

Sweetheart - Frankie and the Knockouts. I remember covering this song way back and thinking "I can't wait until these guys put out more hits. Maybe I will get to do more synth solos."

• Members
I'll put one more on the list.

Sweetheart - Frankie and the Knockouts."

Oh ya, that reminds me:

Darling Lorainne the Knockouts

Probably 20 years before Frankie and the Knockouts :D . Here's a little bio on that group. A quote at this link http://forums.sky.fm/archive/index.php/t-381.html mentions lead singer Frankie:
"Rubik, I'm not sure where you got your information, but you are nowhere close to being right about that. Frankie and the Knockouts was a band out of New Jersey, fronted by Frankie Previtt".

One of the most talented and diverse singers I ever heard. BTW, one of his castoff groupies(from the late 60s) is the girl I ended up marrying. Thanks Frank! BTW, another friend of mine played a solo gig at Previtt's wedding about 6-7 years ago. Apparently FP is still actve musically.

Best, Paul

• Members

Now I have a question to pose you all:

How can an act have just a One-Hit Wonder? How can a small cluster of folks command the ear of the nation-- sometimes the world--- for three months or so.... and then fade completely out of sight?

How can a person be ultra-hip one moment-- in touch with the zeitgeist---- then be totally out-of-touch the next?

Is it that they piss someone off-- a powerbroker-- within the industry, who puts the kibosh on their career?

Or maybe they really weren't very talented at all to begin with--- they just linked up with a superb songwriter/arranger/producer?

Or maybe they get too strung out on booze or drugs to follow up on their one-hit?

Thoughts?

Or maybe they really weren't very talented at all to begin with--- they just linked up with a superb songwriter/arranger/producer?

Drug issues apart... I guess it is only a combination of being at the right place, the right time and presenting something "new" (rhythm, style, look, cool video, kitsch stuff, a dance style, etc).

Many "one hit wonders" weren't even greatly produced tracks or had deep lyrics. That is one of the main reasons they were not able to get a second hit, once their original formula was wasted.

Yet one more example:

Tarkan - "Simarik"

,,, Once his "kissing" and those hot chicks dancing exotic movements got boring, he just went away... with tons of money. Hopefully he saved some !!

• Members

Jesus Jones "Right Here Right Now"

Can you be considered a one hit wonder in a band, then again as a solo artist?

Ex: Red Rider "Lunatic Fringe" & Tom Cochrane "Life Is a Highway"

Radar Love - Golden Earring

Didn't they have a hit many years later with "Twilight Zone"?

... one of the ugliest examples of latin "one hit wonders":

Oskar Lobo - "Za Za Za"

A friend of mine "produced" this track -making the music in Reason to replace all the samples the "singer" used originally- when it went mainstream. Sold about a million and a half of CDs. It didn't even had "lyrics", he just named different soccer teams, names of cites and offices... :freak: ... the singer was a DJ in a strip club and he used to sing that little "hook" (everybody clapping... the guys clapping harder will get a free dance").

Talent? Not as a songwriter or musician. However he was lucky enough to create a little hook everybody throughout latinamerica was singing and dancing for over one year.

The guy released a second CD. A major production, big name producer.

It wasn't even played anywhere.

• Members

A few more for the list:

Radar Love - Golden Earring

Word Up - Cameo

dB

Didn't Golden Earring have a hit with "Twilight Zone" in the early 80s?

And Cameo, they've been around since the late '70s! "Word Up" was neither their first hit nor their last (biggest though). One of their other hits, "Candy" has been a hip-hop sample staple for some time.

Archived