My name is Sean, and I am an alcoholic

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
We're all pulling for you to do the right thing, Sean! Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Anytime you are drowning in inward thinking, try just loving on those you love. They, or you, could be gone tomorrow.

:wave:

that's great advice, right there!

• Members

I lost 2 of my uncles to alcohol and my mom started drinking as well a couple of years ago (runs in the family I guess), but luckily I was able to make her stop. Needless to say I don't touch that {censored}.

Good luck Sean!

• Members

Sean, you earned my respect. Well, you already had it, but you just added an extra layer.

It's not easy to admit when we did wrong, especially when it is in the eyes of our beloved ones.

So you did {censored} up, no question about that, but you're trying to fix what you did, and those who love you will see that. Stay strong. We're pulling for you!

Hey, SRV kicked some pretty nasty habits of his own, and so did Clapton. I bet you can do it as well.

• Members

you know I used to drink quite a bit I hope you can just grow out of it with age. I also hope that you get help as often as you need it. so if you falter 10 times you get up 10 times. btw from you post I can't really tell...has this been an on off issue for a while...I could not tell if you were a drinker who in recent months progressed to this point or if you have been in and out of this shape for years.

btw I have no idea if drugs work or don't work but I would say be opened to anything, I am sure aa doesn't work for some people (I have known people who could not take the god stuff thrust on them).

prayers sent. you know its so corny but true that the first step is facing the problem with total honesty and admitting it. and ifs also a corny truth that a journey of a 1000 miles begins with a first step.

also cut yourself a mental brake, some people are born ready to get addicted, it may be that this had to happen to you. my mom lost all her teeth by her 20's...well I'm 42 and I've had to have complete dental implants all over. was that my fault?

• Members

Blessing #1 -Your wife and kids are still in the same house , they love and support you..Blessing #2 - you are recognizing the problem for what it is , and taking resposibility for your role in the family... I strongly encourage you and your wife to attend AA or some other counseling together , this is affecting both of you , so learn and heal together ... and on the antabuse , I worked 3 years in the mental health/psychiatric world , and saw several adverse reactions from alcohol exposure , some as simple as aftershave , or vanilla extract in food , and some from people who didn't believe the antabuse would work as described, and drank. The reactions ranged from mild stomach upset and shaking to full-blown "let's take em to the ER". No play with that mess ! And about the Higher Power... just pm magnido45...he has some hope to share with you..God Bless

• Members

"The deal is I let my wife be my pharmacist everyday so that she KNOWS I can't drink."

That's cool that this will give your wife some peace of mind but you must swallow for your own peace of mind.

Keep those you love and who love you, even if they're hurt, around you always. They give meaning to this existence.

Hang in there Sean and I know you're going to be just fine. Look forward to great, vivid dreams and good nights sleep now. :wave:

• Members

Congrats for stepping up and wanting to get your life back. That is a huge first step and worthy of respect. We all have crap in our lives we need to deal with and a lot of us never fess up about it and try to get it right. Keep in touch about how you are doing so we can encourage you in this, and you can encourage us by being man enough to walk a hard, but good, road back. We will all be there in some respect sooner or later and need to help each other along.

I'll be praying for you and your family.....

• Members

Hang in there Sean. I am a grandchild, and in retrospect, a child of alcoholics (my father, was a heavy drinker until he had cancer). Admitting that you have a drinking problem, is half the battle. Realise this, you will always be a recovering alcoholic. Count every sober day as a blessing, and when it gets tough staying sober, let us know. Having support from others makes it easier to keep on keeping on.

Hugs,
Ellen

• Members
Join AA.

Drugs don't fix the problem.

No drugs wont fix the problem. But theres nothing wrong with using drugs to reinforce ones will to change.

To the OP: Good on ya man. You can kick this and you have great reasons to want to. Understand this though you cant do it for them. You HAVE to do it for yourself first and foremost. Your will to change must come from within to work. Seems like your headed down that path now though. Best of luck to you man! :thu:

• Members

I lost 2 of my uncles to alcohol and my mom started drinking as well a couple of years ago (runs in the family I guess), but luckily I was able to make her stop. Needless to say I don't touch that {censored}.

Good luck Sean!

I try to avoid it too Ranier. I have a high percentage of alcoholics on both sides of my family. There is a hereditary tendency towards alcoholism. So, other than the rare cocktail or beer (I think the last alcoholic drink I had, was several months ago), I prefer not to drink, considering my family history.

• Members

I try to avoid it too Ranier. I have a high percentage of alcoholics on both sides of my family. There is a hereditary tendency towards alocoholism. So, other than the rare cocktail or beer (I think the last alcoholic drink I had, was several months ago), I prefer not to drink, considering my family history.

That's smart. I on the other hand drink daily but try with all my might not to "over do" it. I have that gene myself. When I think about it it is probably a needless battle that I don't need to put myself in.

Archived