My name is Sean, and I am an alcoholic

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Members

Oh, MAN ...

Sean, I wish you'd called me. Godnose I'm no (rock'n) role model, but if there's anything I coulda done, you'd've had it ...

The rest'll be private. I'll call you.

EDIT: Just did. This man is an HCEG treasure. Love him up --he more than merits it.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have no words really. So I'll just say "BIG TIME MOJO" and much admiration for owning up to it (Denial is probably the biggest bitch of all) and to your family.

I'm not a praying man, but whatever Mojo or karma I can summon up is headed your way. And you know where to find me off HCEG if there's anything I can do.

• Moderators

"The deal is I let my wife be my pharmacist everyday so that she KNOWS I can't drink."

That's cool that this will give your wife some peace of mind but you must swallow for your own peace of mind.

I will do that but the trust I give her to give me it will help her so much to trust me around her and the kids, and right now that's what she needs and deserves, we've been through a lot together from young 19 year old hippy kids to 45 year old parents.......I also think I can be one selfish {censored} sometimes;)

• Members

Good luck man.
I'm trying to stay on the wagon right now as well. Been a couple weeks since I had a drink. I've got an unpoened flat of beer in my garage fridge that I'm determined to let go skunky.

I don't know anything about you, but if you, like me, are not comfortable with the religious overtones, and certain other aspects of AA, there are some great secular support groups out there as well.

Lately, I've been thinking about how being able to look at yourself in the mirror is something that a lot of people take for granted. But I'll get there again, and so will you.
All the best.

• Members

Good luck with it.

As they say, acknowledging you have a problem is half the battle.

Sometimes I wonder about myself, and they say if "you wonder, then it's probably an issue". I don't binge any more, but I often think I need to put more space between my consumption, not have it be as routine, and have some good runs of abstinence thrown in. It's nothing for me to go home and knock down 6 ounces a gin a night. Sometimes it will be as much as two gins, two glasses of wine with dinner and a little whiskey before bed. Not good. At least not at my age for a working man. I'm thinking about carrot juice. ;)

Good luck Sean!

• Members

im sure youll get back to being a {censored} all on your own without the help of alcohol soon enough.

:p

:)

people will debate whether alcoholism is a disease, and that AA is kinda cultish, but youve already passed the fist step, which is WANTING to stop. from there is all up to you, and any way you find support in that is fine, be it medication or god.

• Members

Sean, ...first and foremost let me apoligize for goin' on 'bout you farkin Brits a few days back (ARKAY, and the guy with the prentenious Latin Handle et.al.) mea culpa ...twenty years in law enforcement leaves me no stranger to alcohol and substance abuse after hours...ok ,and O.T.J... I could easily blame the job and my genes (Germans and Poles) but i blame myself... many musicians don't drink, but so many more do, as evidenced in this post...my cap is doffed to you for your forthrightousness and bravery, God Bless, Godspeed, ...LUKE

• Members

Right on to you man. While I know there are going to be some bumps along the way (God likes to test--but never more than you can handle!), I am psyched for you on many levels. One of them is that you are going to feel better and better and clearer, sharper, more focused, smarter, etc, etc.

Being sober is addicting! :-)

Godspeed to you!

PaulS

• Members

This coming May I will have 20 years sober. I was in much the same situation as you find yourself in now. Took the pills, made the plans. It all went to hell until my wife and brother actually had me legally committed as a danger to myself and others. This was in May of '89.

When the police showed up at my door and I found out why they were there it was like a huge weight had been taken off my shoulders. I was ready to FINALLY do something. It took great courage for those two to do what they did because it was going to go one of two ways. I would fight it and never talked to either again OR I would accept the help being offered. This was also a way to get treatment with the county picking up the tab.

I went to a 90 day in-house treatment facility. Within 1 year I was working there as a night house manager.

Needless to say, the treatment and the help worked. However, it only worked because I was ready for it. This is key. It WILL NOT work unless you are ready and want it.

Best of luck and if you have ANY issues or questions feel free to PM me. I really mean it, anything.

• Members

My best buddy told me last week that he checked himself into an alcohol treatment center. It came as a bit of a suprise to me, because he always seemed to handle things well around me, runs his own successful company, etc. Anyway, it takes a lot of balls to face up to things in your life that aren't working.... denial and justification are powerful forces. So hang in there, do what you need to do. I'm pulling for you!!

Archived