My name is Sean, and I am an alcoholic

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Members

sean, i know what you are going through having been there myself, my gorgeous wife made me see reason and i was worth more than i thought of myself. you have done the most difficult part in admitting there are issues there. stay strong and lean on others when you need to, you will get through this

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Okay -- here's my own fess-up.

Between late '75 and early '77, I was addicted to amphetamines in the form of sulphate. It was 'poor man's coke' -- like snorting powdered razor blades off a toilet floor -- and I was speeding like a muthafukka for a year and a half. The first six months were fantastic (a constant Ramones soundtrack!), the second six months a matter of maintenance rather than pleasure, and the final phase a total nightmare. My then wife -- my first, not the bass player -- shared my addiction. I quit first, and she followed a week later.

Getting off it was a total BASTARD of an experience, and I empathise beeg-time with anyone trying to quit a habit. That's multiplied by a million or so when it's a buddy.

• Members

Been in your shoes, RC .....wish you the very best !!! You can do it, and you will....nothing wrong at all with the antabuse approach (am a nursing student, I know a lil about it ;) ). For the record, although it seems to help many, AA did nothing for me - a freakin' cult, if you ask me. Rational Recovery (although slightly off-the-wall) helped me immensely. Hang in there, and major kudos for turning the antabuse dosing over to the Mrs..........she'll have peace of mind, and it shows you're damn serious about not drinking.
Keep on keepin' on, mojo in spades, etc, etc:thu:

- Fuelish

• Members

Sean, My hat is off to you. It takes a big man to admit what you have admitted. I believe that if you keep that same attitude that you will be successful and you will have that loving relationship back that you desire.

I will keep you in my prayers and be sending mojo your way for a complete recovery of your addiction. You WILL make it.

• Members

Okay -- here's my own fess-up.

Between late '75 and early '77, I was addicted to amphetamines in the form of sulphate. It was 'poor man's coke' -- like snorting powdered razor blades off a toilet floor -- and I was speeding like a muthafukka for a year and a half. The first six months were fantastic (a constant Ramones soundtrack!), the second six months a matter of maintenance rather than pleasure, and the final phase a total nightmare. My then wife -- my first, not the bass player -- shared my addiction. I quit first, and she followed a week later.

Getting off it was a total BASTARD of an experience, and I empathise beeg-time with anyone trying to quit a habit. That's multiplied by a million or so when it's a buddy.

It's tough to get off heavy drugs of any kind, icluding drink csm, at least you and Sean are still alive, you have come through it and he is starting down the road coming off it and there's no easy way. Some of my friends are dead as probably some of yours are too. I hope Sean gets back to normal but it's a slow uphill road.

From my own experiences with heroin I know what it's like to deal with despair and I hope I never go back to those dark days but you never know, the problem for me was the lifestyle, that was the tough bit to give up.

It's tough to get off heavy drugs of any kind, icluding drink csm, at least you and Sean are still alive, you have come through it and he is starting down the road coming off it and there's no easy way. Some of my friends are dead as probably some of yours are too. I hope Sean gets back to normal but it's a slow uphill road.

From my own experiences with heroin I know what it's like to deal with despair and I hope I never go back to those dark days but you never know, the problem for me was the lifestyle, that was the tough bit to give up.

That's the key word. Despair. When you're in it, it's hard to see where the lights are. Some folks never find the light switch. Some folks avoid the light switch or pretend it's not there. Sometimes, it's hard to believe that there even is a light switch. Like anything else, some folks flick the switch and marvel at the ease. Some folks keep flicking it on and off. Some folks flick it and do nothing to adjust their eyes to the light.

Lots of ways to handle despair but I can testify that even in the darkest despair, there is a light switch.

• Members

I went for treatment for my Alcholism and currently go to AA meetings a few times a week. I am six months sober and the process of learning about my disease and myself have been wonderful. Until I became sober I never realized I was suppressing my happiness rather then drinking to be happy or have fun. It takes work but far less work then reaching for the bottle. I wish you the best on your life of sobriety.

• Members

Sean,

I am sorry to hear about your pain. But, your post shows a lot of bravery! I'm pulling for you to come out on the better side of this difficulty. :thu:

I've had my own struggles with alchohol in the past. In college, I used to party every week...sometimes all week long! After college, I used to party like a rock star every weekend. But, at some point, I decided to quit and was lucky enough to break out of the weekend pattern without drugs or professional help. Still, I think most people need outside help....no shame in needing assitance IMO. I do think think I got a lot of help from the spiritual realm although I can't prove it.

Now, I only drink a hand full of times a year. Yet, I recently got into trouble because of one night of drinking! :eek:

On one of my rare drinking occasions last year, I got intoxicated and totaled my car in a snow storm! :eek: I nearly lost my life! I almost lost my license! And ,I put an incredible strain on my family. I'm still paying a price for that one night last year! A DWAI conviction comes with a long process of fines, community service, classes, and other commitments.

I'll never take a single drink and drive again now that I understand the full extent of the law related to DWAI, DUI, and Extreme DUI. I'd like to say, "I'll never drink again!" because there's a bit of the devil in every drop. But, in reality, I know I'll still drink on rare occasions. But, I do have a new perspective on occasional drinking. Now, I know that even a few drinks can lead to trouble.

Best to you, Sean! And, get well however you can! It may be a long road, but don't give up no matter how many times you falter along the way to sobriety! :thu:

• Members

Good luck to you, RC. As others have said, it's hard to admit something like this, but you are now on the road to recovery. Remember--its an illness/addiction, and it will take time to get things back in line. But, putting yourself in AA and getting on the path to sobriety is the first, and often the hardest, step. Good luck on your recovery.

• Members

This is the truth. I'd like to be one of those people that can drink responsibly but can't. I've found its easier to not drink at all that it is to stop after two drinks.

I'm lucky...I can have just one drink. I can stop after two. But, the laws are strict in my state. One drink can put your blood alchohol level at .05 which is a violation of DWAI (Driving While Ability Impaired). So, if I have to drive, I won't even drink a sip of alchohol. Anyway, I haven't had much interest in drink for years...even less after my recent trouble. But, those who suffer with alchoholism struggle with addiction....that's a horrible burden that I'll never know.

• Members

I'm lucky...I can have just one drink. I can stop after two. But, the laws are strict in my state. One drink can put your blood alchohol level at .05 which is a violation of DWAI (Driving While Ability Impaired). So, if I have to drive, I won't even drink a sip of alchohol. Anyway, I haven't had much interest in drink for years...even less after my recent trouble. But, those who suffer with alchoholism struggle with addiction....that's a horrible burden that I'll never know.

Man, jr if a cop pulls you over and there's any booze on the breath chances are good they'll find a violation. DUI's can ruin much.

• Members

I wish you all the luck in the world. I know what a destroyer booze can be. I've seen friend and family loose to addiction. I used to drink a lot but fortunatly didn't end up having any issues when it came time to stop. I have had three friend die from drug over doses and have a brother and cousin that just can't seem to win the battle with alchohol. If you have strong support system you will get through this. And don't be afraid to ask for help. I have been to proud to ask for help when I needed it and I know my brother is the same way. You'll find that there will be more people than you can imagine that are willing to help.

• Members

RC (Sean),

For long periods of my life I would drink as much as I could, for as long as I could, sometimes going on for days, even weeks, and months, years. I have not had a drink for over 15 years. And honest to God - when I think of taking a drink - I just shutter. It would be like taking in something I was allergic to (which is basicially what it is). I relied on AA for a number of years. I think it is the only game in town for the alcohol problem. But the anti-abuse will be extra insurance. One day at a time. One day at a time. Repeat this over and over, and I bet pretty soon you will have some years under your belt. Plus you will fell GREAT!

Lght, Life, and Love,

- w

Archived