My name is Sean, and I am an alcoholic

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sean, you are a very courageous man.

It takes a lot of courage to admit that you have a problem, and even more so to do something about it.

It's obvious that you love your family very much, and that they love you.

Letting your wife administer the medicine to you is a great and caring thing to do.

You wanting her to have that peace of mind is a very generous action.

I read the article about the medicine.

That stuff sounds tough.

I went to AA for a few years.

There are all kinds of people there.

Religious to no religion.

They are just there to help themselves and make a better life for themselves and their families.

You will hear some very, very sad stories and realize how lucky you are.

They are good people that have big hearts and care.

They helped me tremendously.

If you find yourself in a situation you can PM me and I'll be there for you.

I'll do whatever I can to help.

I've always thought you were a great guy and now I know it.

You have my respect and obviously, the respect of the folks on this form.

Best of luck to you.

You will be fine because, you have cleared the highest hurdle by facing the problem, and you have a good woman next to you.

• Members

Sean,

Working in recovery for the last couple years has taught me a lot, but above all it has taught me utter respect for those who choose to go through it. Recovery is hard. It's really hard, and you're never really recovered until you're watching them nail lid on your casket.

I have a lot of respect for you and what you're doing. Remember, the way will be hard, but the recovery struggle is a lot less unbearable than the consequences of failure.

I will be praying for you, brother, and my PM box is always open.

Grace and Peace,

Justin

• Members

Major good will to you man- this is not easy- my step mom, who truly was one of the coolest and smartest people I knew and a highly talented musician, battled addiction for years. It can hit anyone, and it doesn't make you fraud when you go back in the wrong direction. You are definitely thinking in the right way, your family is the most important thing in the world. I don't know what sort of support systems the UK has for families of alcoholics but you may want to look into that. You have to find what works for you regardless of all of our rambling, be it Antabuse, AA, whatever, but know that you have a lot of support here, for what its worth.

• Members

Takes a strong man to face his weakness head on. Power to you, Sean.:thu:

On a lighter aside, I lost a bet about misheard lyrics in high school back in the 70's regarding the drug you reference in the first post. I was sure the Stones were singing about a "fifth of antabuse" in this song.

And I went down to the demonstration

To get my fair share of abuse

Singing, were gonna vent our frustration

If we dont were gonna blow
a 50-amp fuse

You cant always get what you want

My non-guitar playing buddy was sure it was "fifty amp fuse".

I knew that had to be wrong as amps used 3 amp slo-blow fuses, although I wasn't really sure what antabuse was.:facepalm:

I lost the bet.

Stay strong, man.:cool:

• Members

:thu: Props for your courage, letting the wife administer the drugs.

Former drunk here, now I only indulge in the occational red wine binge, the booze is off limits, lost a job to the drink, cut my losses and moved out for a while to go cold turkey. The new GF and my friends helped me regain control. :)

• Members

Definitely pulling for you Bro'. I've been down that road 20-25 years ago, except it was cocaine instead of booze (between 1-2 grams a day and most of it was mainlining.) I finally realized that if I just didn't step away from that stuff and the people I was associating with I would end up broke, homeless, and eventually dead. Like scottgd said, you really have to make a conscious decision to want to change or it won't work. I really pray that you are at that stage because it is so easy to slip, even if you have the purest of intentions. Keep the faith and you can tell here, that all of us care and want you to win this battle. :)

Sean...I was high and drunk for 16 years...everyday...one day, I humbled myself, turned to Jesus and asked him for help...I've been freed from those vices (shackles) ever since...

That worked for me in a funny way. I humbled myself and asked Him to take the wheel. I never really asked for help with alcohol per se. I guess I never really thought it was an issue. It's gonna sound retarded but I haven't thought of a drink since that day. It just ceased to be a want in my life. And yes, it was an issue. I thank Him for taking away this particular desire. It's like the elephant is off the table. Now it's just the facts, mam, nothing but the facts.

There was a romanticism I associated with alcohol. Perhaps I thought I could be a libertine of some sort. Spouting poetry like ol Edgar Allen or riffing some mojo filled blues like an ol jazzman... I just kind of got tired and irritable. I really like the clarity and I'm appreciating everything in my life just a bit more these days.

• Members
That worked for me in a funny way. I humbled myself and asked Him to take the wheel. I never really asked for help with alcohol per se. I guess I never really thought it was an issue. It's gonna sound retarded but I haven't thought of a drink since that day. It just ceased to be a want in my life. And yes, it was an issue. I thank Him for taking away this particular desire. It's like the elephant is off the table. Now it's just the facts, mam, nothing but the facts.

There was a romanticism I associated with alcohol. Perhaps I thought I could be a libertine of some sort. Spouting poetry like ol Edgar Allen or riffing some mojo filled blues like an ol jazzman... I just kind of got tired and irritable. I really like the clarity and I'm appreciating everything in my life just a bit more these days.

:thu:

• Members

Good luck mate. I'm only a young'un but I seriously {censored}ed up in my time, to the point of seemingly no return. But things got better and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be to fix things. Well, I'm still fixing things.

You can get over this, lesser people have and you're a good guy.

Stay strong and keep getting things right.

You are clearly one of the smarter posters here.

Get well, I'll be praying and mustering up mojo for you.

I dunno really what to say..... Keep strong.

• Members

I lost an uncle and a grandfather to alcohol. Glad to see you taking control of your life. I wish you the best, so that your boys can grow up knowing and loving their father and not have to tell people how they lost their father to alcohol.

It's a good start.

• Members

plus you sounded real nice on your tele clips :)

seriously though its is unusual that someone just quits and has no relapse, its a process for most. hey you didn't just learn to play guitar one day and your progress was not straight up was it? I just hope if things take time and have many more failures (yes don't sugarcoat it) than you will just keep at it till you have that day or week where you suddenly don't even think about the booze. this stuff can kill it did to my sister so I really really pray for you.

• Members

Congrats Sean. I am pulling for you. You can do this. I have been sober for 6 years now. The hardest part was admitting I had a problem. You have done that and you are ready to roll.

I am pretty new here but if you need any help or support just send me a pm. I am more than willing to help. I am guessing that some of the others who have beat this will be there for you as well. Hang in there.

Archived