OT: What people say about guitars who don't know guitars!

HaloJem

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Isn't there supposed to be hole in the middle?"

I had about 3 or 4 family members or co-workers ask me that when showing them an electric guitar I had built and finished. It would catch me off guard each time someone asked that because you just assume that everybody knows the difference between an electric solid body and an acoustic guitar.

• Members
I brought my Martin acoustic to my bassist's Xmas party last weekend...and as I'm playing "Over the Hills..." by Zep - this gal says "wow, you play acoustic, too?"
;)

Now, this is funny to a guitar player - maybe not a non-player. It shows how much we take for granted our detailed knowledge is on guitars, gear, lingo, etc.

Didya score. She ready for you to come to her after she found out your Acoustic skills. Works a fair amount of the time.

• Members

A conservatory trained music instructor at the college level informed me that drums do not have pitches.

I asked him why drums had tuning keys then. He was VERY upset with me

at that point.

Do you know the difference between definite and indefinite pitch? I bet your music instructor does.

• Members
The most ridiculous things I've heard (or actually read) was actually today on this very forum from people who claim to be guitar players in the responses to this thread...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2186344

Unbelieveable.

Lol, the funny thing about that is that they were arguing with me, saying I was wrong :idk:

I have had someone ask if you are supposed to press down inbetween the metal things on the guitar, or right on the metal things :facepalm:

• Members
I actually had a guy ask me while I was playing in Kuwait......

How many octaves does that guitar have???

Same guy told me he was saving to get an Estaban.....I kid you not...

...man, you are keeping me in suspense, bro! How many are there?:p

• Members

It's a wang bar.

Nope, it's a talent lever.

We had a bass player audition who insisted the long bit with the frets in it was an 'arm'. He didn't get the gig.

'What do you play; lead or rhythm?' People are surprised that guitarists can actually do both; sometimes at the same time...

• Members
Things my MUSIC TEACHER said about guitars:

-"Pickups won't affect tone."

-"There's no real difference between Single Coils and Humbuckers."

-"Wood that a guitar is made from won't affect tone whatsoever."

:facepalm:

probably it just doesn't matter to him since he can actually play

that stuff is way more important to shoppers and fetishists

:idea:

• Members

I've told this story, but it's appropriate here:

I had a girlfriend once ask me what a lead guitar was, except she pronounced it 'led,' like the metal.

I patiently explained that there were two types of guitars. Lead (like the metal) and Bass (like the fish.)

She eventually dumped my sarcastic ass.

• Members

This isn't really something stupid, but it does illustrate the myopia of guitarists.

I've had a few people tell me over the last couple of weeks that they've bought guitars for their kids/spouses.

I ask them what kind of guitar it was and they gave me a blank stare. Which to me is a little like saying you bought a new car and then not knowing the make or model.

• Members

When I first picked up a guitar, my relative, who had actually played a bit of guitar with his bud's at the time, showed me how to play 'power chords'...it consisted of fretting the string directly over the fret wire, which gave the note the power and chunk. lol How gullible I was back then.:facepalm:

• Members

Every time the fact that I play comes up, the first question anyone asks is "do you play acoustic or electric?"
I don't get it... ? Unless I'm only playing solo acoustic stuff or classical, which I'm not...

Oh, and every time I say I like a guitar I don't have -
"Why? You have THREE. That's already two too many. They sound the same anyway." - Mother, chanelling the Confused, Frustrated Grandmother.

Oh, and my favorite, seeing somebody in my school post pictures of his new plexiglass flying V copy, a video of him playing the riff to Crazy Train, and starting a nonstop cavalcade of "OMG your guitar is so cool! It sounds so good!"
His answer?
"I'd better be, I paid $100 for it!" :facepalm:

Archived