OT: What people say about guitars who don't know guitars!

HaloJem

• Members

Ok, this week on Howard Stern's show was Fall Out Boy's Mr. Wentz ...

Howard says "do you ever play with those things on the floor? ... that's what I wanna do!"

Pete: "um..."

Artie Lang: "yeah, yeah, like a Wah Wah"

Robin Quivers: "NO! No!, that's right on the guitar itself!!" :eek:

Bwahahahahhaha !! Let the stories roll !!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Howard says "do you ever play with those things on the floor? ... that's what I wanna do!"

Robin Quivers: "NO! No!, that's right on the guitar itself!!"
:eek:

I have seen Ebay auctions where the guitar owner referred to the "Wah wah bar" on the guitar. This kind of {censored} is probably how therese things get started.

Oh, and the old "Floyd whammy bar is missing, but is available at any music store for $5" line is another favorite groaner of mine!

• Members

So, some people who don't care at all about guitars made comments that indicate that they don't understand how they work, and we're supposed to make fun of them?

Get me talking about welding or car engines and I'm pretty sure I would make a comment that indicated my level of ignorance about those topics. It seems pointless to laugh at people in those types of situations. They aren't claiming to be experts. :idk:

Why should we care if people who don't play guitar don't understand effects pedals?

• Members

Misconceptions I've heard from the clueless:

-You plug the guitar direct into the AC outlet of your home.

-The whammy bar creates a "wah wah" sound.

A drummer friend's female acquaintance, asking about remo-roto-toms.

Girl: "Are those electric drums?"

Mike: "No. Why Do you ask?"

Girl: "It looks like D batteries go in the center".

• Members

So, some people who don't care at all about guitars made comments that indicate that they don't understand how they work, and we're supposed to make fun of them?

Get me talking about welding or car engines and I'm pretty sure I would make a comment that indicated my level of ignorance about those topics. It seems pointless to laugh at people in those types of situations. They aren't claiming to be experts.
:idk:

Why should we care if people who don't play guitar don't understand effects pedals?

It's in good fun here, bro! You are taking it way too serious. It just sounded damn funny. I'm not pissed at them as if they ripped on my band or made fun of long haired dudes or some BS.

If you are correcting someone too, like Robin was - you'd think it was due to solid factual knowledge.

• Members

I brought my Martin acoustic to my bassist's Xmas party last weekend...and as I'm playing "Over the Hills..." by Zep - this gal says "wow, you play acoustic, too?" ;)

Now, this is funny to a guitar player - maybe not a non-player. It shows how much we take for granted our detailed knowledge is on guitars, gear, lingo, etc.

• Members

Robin Quivers: "NO! No!, that's right on the guitar itself!!"
:eek:

It actually is in joe Perry's

Product: Gibson Joe Perry Signature Les Paul

Price Paid: US $2500 used

Submitted 04/21/2006 at 11:39pm by Paul

Features : 9

Look at boneyards but once i saw this my mind was made up.I didnt even know these babys were around.Walked into Mandolin Bros one day and there it was.played it for 10 mins and knew i had to have it.

Incredible blackburst finish.I must admit its a nice feeling having a very unique color for my Les Paul.I spent quite a while looking for the right one but i got lucky.Nice grover tuners.

Rosewood frets are always a plus.

Maine feature is the Mid boost push/pull control.gives a decent wah affect.

Sound : 10

This guitars got a mean sound.sounds very similar to my old 57 black custom.This guitar blasts when it you switch to the treble pickup and i run it through a lower quality amp.I likethe look of the boneyard but i like having something a little rarer.This is a straight through and through Rock and Roll/ Blues Guitar.The sound goes on and on.

• Members

It actually is in joe Perry's

Product: Gibson Joe Perry Signature Les Paul

Price Paid: US $2500 used

Submitted 04/21/2006 at 11:39pm by Paul

...Maine feature is the Mid boost push/pull control.gives a decent wah affect.

I hear you, but "giving a decent wah effect" is not the same as a Wah Wah pedal, which is the context of the debate here... :)

Maybe it's only available in Maine ? ;)

God, where is the F*&kin' humor today? ;)

Archived