OT: What people say about guitars who don't know guitars!

HaloJem

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Things my MUSIC TEACHER said about guitars:

-"Pickups won't affect tone."

-"There's no real difference between Single Coils and Humbuckers."

-"Wood that a guitar is made from won't affect tone whatsoever."

:facepalm:

My science teacher tried telling me the wood has no effect on how an electric guitar sounds, and that it's all in the pick-ups and electronics. :facepalm:

• Members

I've told this story, but it's appropriate here:

I had a girlfriend once ask me what a lead guitar was, except she pronounced it 'led,' like the metal.

I patiently explained that there were two types of guitars. Lead (like the metal) and Bass (like the fish.)

She eventually dumped my sarcastic ass.

Lol thats great. My dad (whos dad was a shop teacher) laughed at me the first time I said basswood, like the guitar, instead of basswood, like the fish. I look back and laugh at it. Then, when I was talking about Slash, he goes "Slash the bass player?", because I play bass too. But at that moment, I :facepalm: it.

• Members

I ask them what kind of guitar it was and they gave me a blank stare. Which to me is a little like saying you bought a new car and then not knowing the make or model.

I'm 16, and have several friends who at least try to play. I ask them what guitar they have and say "um... a black one?" I understand not being obsessed with gear like I am, but that just is embarrassing.

• Members

When I lived at home years ago, I once told my mother that she should always lock the door to the house and that I hoped her homeowner's insurance covered potential theft of my instruments. I also said that perhaps I should get my own insurance coverage if that wasn't the case.

Her response:

"Why? Don't guitars cost about $20.00?"

The guitars I had then cost quite a bit more than that.

LouLoomis

• Members

Things my MUSIC TEACHER said about guitars:

-"Pickups won't affect tone."

-"There's no real difference between Single Coils and Humbuckers."

-"Wood that a guitar is made from won't affect tone whatsoever."

:facepalm:

In essence, to the average music listener, this is not incorrect. To a guitarist, it's blasphemy, but to the casual listener, guitars all sound like guitars, and are either pleasing or annoying to their ear.

Archived