Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is "burl" ? What is that made from, mostly ? roots, or something else ? Is there a preferred tree that burl is from , or just anything that is like that, to make things with "burl" ?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is "burl" ? What is that made from, mostly ? roots, or something else ? Is there a preferred tree that burl is from , or just anything that is like that, to make things with "burl" ?

there is an Ibanez at the local pawn place, it is burl. $600.00. It looks very much like an OK thing, to me. I have no photo of that, there, but it is burl, I do believe. What is burl ?

A burl is a tree growth in which the grain has grown in a deformed manner. It is usually found on the trunk, at the base of the tree, and sometimes underground in the form of a rounded outgrowth. It is caused by some kind of stress, such as injury, virus, fungus, insect infestation or mold growth.

thanks to Hunski Hardwoods
    Last edited by gardo; 01-03-2019, 03:46 PM.

Comment

burl is the effect of incorrect growth of wood which affects the grain, tending toward a knot-like swirl.
      It is not a specific type of wood, but the appearance that is referred to as 'burl' or 'burled'. 'Bird's-eye' maple is a burled wood.

https://treehut.co/blogs/news/what-i...than-you-think
      Last edited by daddymack; 01-03-2019, 03:49 PM.
      "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

• crustoleum
        crustoleum commented
        Editing a comment
        thank you for the link thing

Originally posted by daddymack View Post
      burl is the effect of incorrect growth of wood which affects the grain, tending toward a knot-like swirl.
      It is not a specific type of wood, but the appearance that is referred to as 'burl' or 'burled'. 'Bird's-eye' maple is a burled wood.

https://treehut.co/blogs/news/what-i...than-you-think
      I read some wood finishing books before I did my Carvins and apparently wood guys distinguish between "figure" which is the distinctive coloration - flame/quilt/burl etc..., and "grain" which pertains to the actual cell structure and alignment.
      Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Definition of burl

1 : a knot or lump in thread or cloth

2a : a hard woody often flattened hemispherical outgrowth on a tree
        b : veneer made from burls
        Burl maple usually comes from a maple trunk that's either wounded, genetically defective or improperly healed. It can make for some one of a kind, truly astounding looking grains when finished naturally.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wr_3846_front_up_closeup_an.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	32432762

Birds eye maple (sugar maple) is in the same category but on a much smaller scale. Its a natural occurrence caused when the tree attempts to grow new branches but fails dur to poor growing conditions. Knots from these failed attempts create a swirl in the wood and are very attractive when finished. Birds Eye is especially favored for necks because the knotty eyes are harder and denser and the wood resonates well. Its highly valued for its tone and unique patterns, and because it more rare then other types of fast growth maple.

Name:	proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tomfarrington.com%2Febay%2Fttele2w.jpg&hash=36f80ae8adb9715a690a246fa5b93aec.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	32432763

Because Birds eye is rare allot of woods get sold as Birds eye which should actually be called Burl.

This for example is obviously Burl given its extreme twisted grains. If it does contain some birds eyes it could be called Birds Eye Burl. It likely came from a damaged Sugar Maple which was also stressed during growth. Still its a beautiful natural grain and the semantics between Birds Eye or Burl is chiefly a description of what you see in the grain.

Name:	JD_Spalt.jpg
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	32432764

Comment

Paying extra for defects that look interesting LOL!
          "Does whatever a Spider-pig does!"

Comment

• Malcolm Ramone
            Malcolm Ramone commented
            Editing a comment
            And don't get me started on 'spalted'! Next trend they'll be touting termite damage!

Burl was a folksinger, most famous for his covers of "Frosty the Snowman" and "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer"

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Ramone View Post
            Paying extra for defects that look interesting LOL!
            Well now, Malcolm, I gotta disagree.

I'm currently having an OM (acoustic) built that has some lovely silking in the grain of its Sitka top. This is also a "defect", so to speak.

What's wrong with liking wood that's different, interesting and beautiful?

Comment

Originally posted by Danocoustic View Post
              Burl was a folksinger, most famous for his covers of "Frosty the Snowman" and "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer"
              I remember him mostly for "Holly Jolly Christmas." He was also an actor of some note.
              Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
              Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
              Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
              Member of the Schecter Society
              Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
                I remember him mostly for "Holly Jolly Christmas." He was also an actor of some note.
                You'd think I'd remember that, considering where I live (Holly MI).

Comment

What's wrong with liking wood that's different, interesting and beautiful?
                  Music is only very selectively about aesthetics. Whichever aesthetics I'm not interested in shouldn't exist.

Write something...

Comment

Originally posted by Blackface View Post

Music is only very selectively about aesthetics. Whichever aesthetics I'm not interested in shouldn't exist.
                    Music isn't about aesthetics? Really? What's it about, then---architecture? Mathematics?

Tangentially, I agree with your second statement. I do NOT understand why the world isn't focused on MY immediate gratification

Comment

Music isn't about aesthetics? Really? What's it about, then---architecture? Mathematics?

Tangentially, I agree with your second statement. I do NOT understand why the world isn't focused on MY immediate gratification

"Not about aesthetics" means you don't appreciate music with your eyes. You can't judge an actor's performance by reading Shakespeare, you have to watch and listen. The color or grain or whatever of someone's guitar shouldn't affect my perception of how it sounds or how well he/she plays. Use your ears for that.
                      Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                      Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                      Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                      Member of the Schecter Society
                      Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

I want to see someone who says only the sound matters to actually back up their statement and only play unpainted pieces of square wood.
                        Write something...

Comment

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
                          "Not about aesthetics" means you don't appreciate music with your eyes. You can't judge an actor's performance by reading Shakespeare, you have to watch and listen. The color or grain or whatever of someone's guitar shouldn't affect my perception of how it sounds or how well he/she plays. Use your ears for that.
                          "Aesthetics" isn't limited to only one sense.

Comment

Working...
                          X