Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a guy that comes to my house and tunes my guitars for me once a month. I'll have to tell him about these things.

Comment

Handy, but you will grow dependent on them, and become unable to tune without them. Tune the old fashioned way occasionally.

My experience has been that that's only true of the folks who couldn't tune in the first place.
      Thankfully, they can use tuners now. Hopefully, they'll make a habit of it.

Comment

I have a guy that comes to my house and tunes my guitars for me once a month. I'll have to tell him about these things.

Hey Bill.......I hope you're not using this guy to tune your guitars.

Three Dreads......2 Martins and 1 YamahaA fiddle, a mando, a uke, eight harmonicas, a Zoom H2, a Panasonic recorder, coupla penny whistles, an Italian made Titano accordion, three handguns, at least a dozen chess sets, more power tools than Bob Vila, and one old Westclox "Big Ben" wind-up alarm clock that still works! Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention my ocarina and maracas.

Comment

It's been mentioned by a few people that tuners are not always accurate - which is true. But it's easy to calibrate them using the concert pitch facility (most clip-ons have this facility - usually a button marked A:440Hz).

All you need to do is use a tuning fork or an on-line one (eg. http://www.onlinetuningfork.com/ ). Test the reading of your tuner using its microphone against the tone of the fork. If it is out, adjust the concert pitch up or down (the adjusters are often marked "mode" but are sometime arrows) until the reading is OK.
          Howard

Comment

Hey, that's my Financial Adviser. Didn't know he tuned guitars.

Comment

Another vote for the Snark. So much more convenient.

I use a Snark as well. I have tried others, but like the snark the best. I do find that I have to make minor "by ear" adjustments after using the tuner.

The snark is a chromatic tuner as many others are as well. Some ARE NOT! Make sure you get a chromatic tuner if you plan on using alternate tunings.
              Bob.
              Martin HD35 | Gibson J45tv | Taylor DN3 | Guild GAD25 | Taylor Baby | Yamaha FG413SBD | Yamaha FG200

Comment

Hey, that's my Financial Adviser. Didn't know he tuned guitars.

Your financial adviser? Noooooo, he's my interior decorator!
                Jack1969 Martin D12-20 12-string1984 Martin HD-28

Comment

He does have a certain sense of style. Kind of a Goodwill store, recently divorced guy theme going on there.

Comment

I thought he was the new American Idol judge.
                    - Rob

YouTube (GuiTuber)

Proud Member of the Alvarez Alliance & Yamaha Player's Guild

My modest collection:
                    Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
                    Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
                    Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

From the dark side:
                    Epiphone DOT (on loan from my good friend TESmith)

Recording gear:
                    Focusrite Saffire 6
                    MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics

Comment

I like the Snark for being a lot quicker to pick up the note than the intellitouches i've tried, and it's quite a bit cheaper, too.

Durability, however, isn't its strong point. Mine is taped together, much like many others I've seen.
                      Pigpen said it was OK!

Originally Posted by mdog114

Boy, you should REALLY go back and slap you're teachers!

Comment

I use an Intellitouch PT-10.Nice bright display and very reliable.

Comment

I still use one of these. I've had it for about four years.....dropped it on a hard floor at least 20 times......very few battery changes.......still in perfect shape and going strong. I like the technology behind the Snark, but I've messed with 'em and they DO seem to be a little fragile looking. Controlled obsolescence.

Three Dreads......2 Martins and 1 YamahaA fiddle, a mando, a uke, eight harmonicas, a Zoom H2, a Panasonic recorder, coupla penny whistles, an Italian made Titano accordion, three handguns, at least a dozen chess sets, more power tools than Bob Vila, and one old Westclox "Big Ben" wind-up alarm clock that still works! Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention my ocarina and maracas.

Comment

i have maybe 4 different ones. Friend gave me one, but led isn't bright enough to see on sunny afternoon here in Thailand. Snark is very cool, but doesn't fold up into a bomb proof shape for when you throw it in with the other stuff. I have an Ovation VXT with typical Ovation headstock, and it is a tad dicey finding a place to clip it on.
                            One trick I came up with is to attach it with the readout face behind the headstock, which is also an advantage of the Snark being so adjustable. This puts it in the shade (easier to read) and less likely to get knocked off by accident.
                            I was kicked out of music class for passing notes...
                            Tuned out, turned in and dropped off

Comment

i have maybe 4 different ones. Friend gave me one, but led isn't bright enough to see on sunny afternoon here in Thailand. Snark is very cool, but doesn't fold up into a bomb proof shape for when you throw it in with the other stuff. I have an Ovation VXT with typical Ovation headstock, and it is a tad dicey finding a place to clip it on.
                              One trick I came up with is to attach it with the readout face behind the headstock, which is also an advantage of the Snark being so adjustable. This puts it in the shade (easier to read) and less likely to get knocked off by accident.

I always have mine with the readout to the back on my Martin. Just easier to see in general back there, imo.
                              Pigpen said it was OK!

Originally Posted by mdog114

Boy, you should REALLY go back and slap you're teachers!

Comment

4th one? how great can they be?

I rooted around for one to send you, but I guess I've given them away already. They make great stocking stuffers, btw.

Comment

Working...
                                X