Bigsby handle extension

Emory

• Members

I love this guitar (Cort Sunset 1) and Bigsby is fun, but handle didn't quite reach to where I like to pick. I live in Thailand, so don't have access to as many goodies as you folks in states, so as laziness is the mother of invention, I gave this a stab. Went to local building supply and got some clear tubing (had to slice it lengthwise as not quite as wide as I'd hoped). Dug the spoon out of cutlery drawer. Used some wire ties like come around cables and whatever, and bingo! I'm in business! The tubing on end of spoon along with tubing on end of stock Bigsby handle provides just enough resistance so spoon doesn't flop about. A bonus I hadn't thought of is that can put at whatever length I want and will stay there. The curve of the business end of spoon makes a nice accessible shape for doing my drops (don't use for sharping notes, figure that is taken care of with left hand.). We have palm trees, I use my palm for B. Use a flat handled spoon, no curves and you'll be just fine. A bonus is that if I get hungry, I can use to eat some noodle soup (street stalls provide plastic, but metal better I reckon).

Posted on rec of Dr Phil O'K

• Members

I love this guitar (Cort Sunset 1) and Bigsby is fun, but handle didn't quite reach to where I like to pick. I live in Thailand, so don't have access to as many goodies as you folks in states, so as laziness is the mother of invention, I gave this a stab. Went to local building supply and got some clear tubing (had to slice it lengthwise as not quite as wide as I'd hoped). Dug the spoon out of cutlery drawer. Used some wire ties like come around cables and whatever, and bingo! I'm in business! The tubing on end of spoon along with tubing on end of stock Bigsby handle provides just enough resistance so spoon doesn't flop about. A bonus I hadn't thought of is that can put at whatever length I want and will stay there. The curve of the business end of spoon makes a nice accessible shape for doing my drops (don't use for sharping notes, figure that is taken care of with left hand.). We have palm trees, I use my palm for B. Use a flat handled spoon, no curves and you'll be just fine. A bonus is that if I get hungry, I can use to eat some noodle soup (street stalls provide plastic, but metal better I reckon).

Posted on rec of Dr Phil O'K

eb7961104b44a4be314266b125b10257.jpg.c0b4e85efffbedb6aaf89cca4287f899.jpg

That's awesome! :philthumb:

I think the spoon itself would make a really good handle, especially if you only use the Bigsby for dropping notes. It would probably be fine for pulling them sharp too... :idk:

I was going to suggest using nylon zip ties to hold the spoon in place, but that might provide too much tension and limit some of the other benefits of your setup, such as the ability to easily change how far you have the spoon extended.

That's a really clever solution. And thank you for posting the picture. I was really curious about this when I saw you mention it the other day. :)

That's awesome! :philthumb:

I think the spoon itself would make a really good handle, especially if you only use the Bigsby for dropping notes. It would probably be fine for pulling them sharp too... :idk:

I was going to suggest using nylon zip ties to hold the spoon in place, but that might provide too much tension and limit some of the other benefits of your setup, such as the ability to easily change how far you have the spoon extended.

That's a really clever solution. And thank you for posting the picture. I was really curious about this when I saw you mention it the other day. :)

• Members

Interesting idea, but looks a bit hack. I'd rather put one of these on.

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/trem_bigsby.htm

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","height":"355","title":"006-1704-000.jpg","width":"400","data-attachmentid":32117647}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","height":"354","title":"006-1708-000.jpg","width":"400","data-attachmentid":32117648}[/ATTACH]

• Members

I'd like to have one of those too. Problem is it would have to be shipped to Thailand and then be held hostage by kidnappers, er Thai customs, if it got that far. I never have anything shipped here, too many horror stories from friends etc

Archived