Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

So You Just Bought A New Strat.. What is the first Mod You Make?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SuperVee Bladerunner trem.

Comment

Originally posted by wankdeplank View Post
      . . . I replaced the trem blocks on my MIMs with a GFS Brass (don't care for their steel one - too trebly and sibilant) and a Fender steel. My MIA and MIJ had the better blocks to begin with. Why do this mod you ask? Not only for improved tone and sustain but to prevent your ball ends from sticking in the cylinders. . . .
      If I didn't have my trem blocked I'd probably consider that particular mod as well, if nothing else to keep the stupid ball ends from getting stuck. I'm not sure what sonic effect a heavier block would have with the trem blocked though.
      Last edited by DeepEnd; 06-05-2014, 05:17 PM.
      Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
      Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
      Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
      Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Originally posted by Vermoulian View Post
        High on my list would be to replace the thinner zinc trem block with a full-sized steel one. I think it makes a huge difference. Of course, I appear to be the only person who actually uses the trem on his Strats.

Depending on the guitar, pickups might be a bigger priority, but that will vary, whereas any guitar with a zinc block will, I think, benefit from a steel block.
        Another trem user here that prefers the sound of the big blocks. Feel like the pickup swap in the case of ceramics is a more significant improvement, but next to that, not much else will do as much to improve your tone. Some time ago, a forumite (no longer posts here) put up a soundcloud comparison of several Strats he owned and one had a fairly one dimensional tone and I correctly guessed that was the MIM with the zinc block, though the pickups had been upgraded. That being said, I found the GFS Steel block to be waay too bright, but am fond of the GFS brass block and the Fender steel. Never tried a callaham as I could get another Mexican Strat for what they want for them.

(Deepend wrote) If I didn't have my trem blocked I'd probably consider that particular mod as well, if nothing else to keep the stupid ball ends from getting stuck. I'm not sure what sonic effect a heavier block would have with the trem blocked though.

Would imagine that it would have some tonal impact but I think a lot would depend on how you had it blocked. When I got my 89 MIA last year, it came blocked with balsa wood and a ton of electrician's tape which just soaked up all of the sound transfer. That guitar was so constipated sonically you'd hit one note and it would be fine and another would just disappear - no sustain whatsoever. I had to scrub the cavity and steel wool the block to get all that gunk out and bring it back to life. It came with a Fender custom shop in the neck with the other two being noiseless, and it sounds impressive in every position now despite the noiseless pickups (don't know where they get the bad rap).
        Last edited by wankdeplank; 06-05-2014, 11:58 PM.
        The most important thing I look for in a musician is whether he knows how to listen --Duke Ellington

Comment

I'm also a fan of very occasional trem-arm usage. My tech screwed the trem flush to the top which allows dive only usage(4 springs - set of 11s). I can come back to the instrument after 3 days of playing something else & it's still dead in-tune.

I'm OK with the 5 way and controls as stock. Big fan of Duncan pickups ex. for the stock middle. I'd say get the set-up done correctly first & go slowly from there
          an expert on what it feels like to be me
          & you are who you google
          http://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1

Comment

I changed the string trees on a few guitars but that's all.

I'm pretty ashamed that's all I've ever done.
            **This space for rent. Inquire at office.**

Comment

I deck the trem just enough that bending any one string won't cause the trem to deflect. No need to add springs. Now I bend a string while holding a second, and the second doesn't go flat - cause I REALLY HATE THAT. It's still loose enough to add vibrato with ease. I can't bend up but I really don't care to. I suspect it may add to tuning stability too.
              http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/I-smeared-bacon-fat-on-my-strat-now-it-stinks/td-p/16697195

Comment

I got mine in 2008 and only just properly modded it this year. It was adding full shielding, not changing anything
                I'm Me.<br><br>Guild GAD M120E<br>2006 50s Classic series MIM Fender Stratocaster 2 tone sunburst.<br>2004 Epi LP Standard in Trans Blue With Tonerider Alnico 2<br>97 Epi LP Junior Red with pots, caps and the magnets in the pickup repleaced.<br><br>Vox pathfinder 15R<br>Vox VT 15

Comment

are there any noiseless pups out there that would not break the bank?
                  My Gear:
                  2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster
                  1998 Squire MIM Stratocaster
                  Takamine acoustic
                  Fender P-Bass

Comment

http://www.guitarfetish.com/55k-True-Coil_p_1964.html

At $32 a pop this is probably the best deal on a noiseless Strat pickup out there. Personally, I'd just go with their premium boutique set for $60 as they sound great and are about as quiet as a non-noiseless strat pickup can get. Lace Sensors are also nice though a bit pricier.
                    The most important thing I look for in a musician is whether he knows how to listen --Duke Ellington

Comment

Originally posted by steve_man View Post
                      are there any noiseless pups out there that would not break the bank?
                      Sure, but none I'd want to use.
                      http://tertl.blogspot.com - The Blog of the Ancient Mariner

Grumpy old man from the Yew Kay.

WTB Emi Ramrod

Dirty 30 AC30 Crew

Good deals with Darxcide, MetalheadUK, Farmer Geddon, Lanefair, Chris006, ChrisB, Zoidberg, Uncle Psychosis, Krashpad, Loobs, stevemcb, Prauny, Benecol, Muttz, axis player, Ratae Coritanorum.

Comment

Originally posted by Into Nation View Post
                        I deck the trem just enough that bending any one string won't cause the trem to deflect. No need to add springs. Now I bend a string while holding a second, and the second doesn't go flat - cause I REALLY HATE THAT. It's still loose enough to add vibrato with ease. I can't bend up but I really don't care to. I suspect it may add to tuning stability too.
                        This. Sooooo much. This!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by soundcreation View Post
                          lol....I wouldn't buy a strat that required a mod in the first place.....
                          I honestly couldn't afford to buy THE Strat that I wanted, so I always start from scratch. off th shelf I may just get away with a genuine 50s Strat. NO MIJ I've come across has enough neck meat, although the Greco Super Real SE800 is very very close
                          Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by Virgman View Post
                            I changed the string trees on a few guitars but that's all.

I'm pretty ashamed that's all I've ever done.
                            When you have your Johnson to play with there's little time for other tomfoolery
                            Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

This. Sooooo much. This!
                              Wow, a from - Phil!
                              http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/I-smeared-bacon-fat-on-my-strat-now-it-stinks/td-p/16697195

Comment

Humbucker in the bridge and a wilkinson pop-in trem. Those screw in trems are ridiculous.
                                The distance from the highest line on your wrist to the tip of your middle finger is the exact length of what?

Comment

Working...
                                X