Bypassing the tone pot on your guitar?

marvo

• Members

The result is a bright and loud sound if you bypass the tone pot. It could be overkill or it might sound perfect....depends a lot on the pup.

When I swapped the pups on my Parker Nitefly, I had little bit of trouble balancing the sound between the 2 strat style pups and the HB sized P90 in the bridge. Finally, I hooked the guitars one-and-only tone knob to the 2 strat style pups and bypassed the tone knob going to the bridge pup. This did the trick and the guitar works great this way! :thu:

It's pretty easy to bypass the tone knob or knobs for one or more pickups. This is sometimes a cheap fix for a muddy pup or a murky set of pups. The tone knob usually gets wired up to the 5-way switch an a strat-style guitar. There are great wiring diagrams on Seymour Duncan's website if you need a visual aide.

P.S. If you just want to brighten the sound, a potentiometer swap may be a better solution. If the guitar has 250K pots, a swap to 500K pots will result in a much brighter sound which you can dial back to taste. :thu:

• Members

YOu could try a no load pot. 0 to 9 is standard pot operation. Clicked at 10 and it removes itself from the circuit. Works great IMO.

What is this "no load pot" you speak of?

Oh I see you have described it quite well in your post...

I must find...Something like that might just be the only thing I can afford after my unfortunate trip to the dentist.:facepalm:

• Members

What is this "no load pot" you speak of?

Oh I see you have described it quite well in your post...

I must find...Something like that might just be the only thing I can afford after my unfortunate trip to the dentist.
:facepalm:

You can find them here in both split and solid shaft. A little pricey but they are nice pots.

http://guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_fenderpots.htm

• Members

I have all my "Metal" guitars set up this way as I dont have a need for tone knobs. When I had them engaged I just kept them on 10 anyways. The problem was I would be rockin out onstage and accidentally turn down the tone by accident meaning for the volume, then start the next song with tone off. I had them removed and just wired straight to the pickups. Also, it sounds "hotter" to me, just my opinion.

I've read that big Metal guys, ex. Glenn Tipton of Judas priest, wire on/off switches right to the pickups on certain guitars for just balls out or off. No volume or tone.

I also play in a cleaner jazzier band where i rely on my starts tone knobs constantly to blend my guitar into the mix.

"More than one way round the mote"

• Members

Thanks to all for the input,I am thinking of doing this to my musicman sub 1 guitar, it only has one p/u in the bridge, it is kinda bright though, also thinking of changing the p/u to a dimarzio s/d,I notice the axis guitars have only a vol pot, no tone.

• Members

You can take a pot appart and cut through the carbon at the 10 position. This effectively removes the pot from the circuit when the wiper is above that point, this is all a no load pot is.

In reality, very littel benifit is gained. If you amp has a trebble knob and you need more just turn it.

In the same line of thought though, I dont usually put trebble knobs in my builds. The volumes when turned down usually muffel the tone a bit anyway.

I have a few where I use the tone pot with a trebble bleed cap over the volume pot. I can then adjust how much trebble I can bypass and add back into the mix. Its only effective when you have the volume turned down a bit, but I usually run my volume on 7 or 8 anyway and have that littel extra boost for leads. This way when I turn up it gets fuller vs brighter. Works good for recording tracks.

• Members

You can take a pot appart and cut through the carbon at the 10 position. This effectively removes the pot from the circuit when the wiper is above that point, this is all a no load pot is.

Or, nail polish on where the wiper meets the carbon track.

Takes 10 min, and removable.

nlpolmod_t.jpg

This pic illustrates the "nail polish mod". By applying some insulation such as clear nail polish in this area of the resistive element track, you create a tone pot that disconnects as you turn it to full on, as you adjust from 9 to 10. Disconnecting the tone pot can help to bring out some extra response and clarity with the higher output pickups such as the Gibson 498T or 500T, Seymour Duncan models Duncan Custom, Duncan Distortion, or similar.

Archived