Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Harmonicas

Are there any harmonica players here?

My older brother likes to play harmonica. He picked it up from my grandfather. He's pretty good, knowing little about music, just diddling around. His technique is great.

Anyways, I kind of want him to get better at it, so I thought it'd be cool to get him a either a decent new set, or maybe one cool harmonica that isn't like something he has from a standard set.

What would somebody recommend as an Xmas gift for a harmonica player that has a good bang-for-buck value?
    http://myspace.com/hotmessization
    http://brochu.bandcamp.com

- SPAM -
    Fender HRD White Lightning - Limited run of 800 - PM me
    Two Celestion Seventy 80 speakers - 16ohm - $100 for the pair

budget?
    Originally Posted by Ratae Coritanorum

Any help appreciated...I don't wanna go to Amps, as I don't have any condoms

Originally Posted by Greedo

yorga is wise and built like a refrigerator

Comment

Look at Hohner stuff. Get a Marine Band if you want a standard Diatonic Harmonica. Or you could get him something cool like a Chromatic, Tremolo, or Echo harmonica.

Comment

we were just talking about this...

harmonica is tough, i cant get the technique down at all to only blow into the one hole
        YᵒᵘOᶰˡʸLᶤᵛᵉ OᶰᶜᵉRobopimp wrote:Chat crüe is srs crüeFor Sale: Ibanez DML-10, Boss TW-1, Boss FZ-2/3Good deals with: Duderanimous, Overwhelmed987, Jules-RM, DoubleBarrel, HotRats, Fusion1, IRG, barney steele, Aaron SS, Urinate Forever, Raintes, crowquill, Blakemore Effects, Aimmar Cair, lefort_1, killthelights, 9720575 (CHUCK!)

Comment

What's the difference between the Hohner Weekender and the Echo Celeste?
          http://myspace.com/hotmessization
          http://brochu.bandcamp.com

- SPAM -
          Fender HRD White Lightning - Limited run of 800 - PM me
          Two Celestion Seventy 80 speakers - 16ohm - $100 for the pair

Comment

Special 20 and call it a day
            Proud Member of the Jet Setters (Jet City Lounge)

Comment

I like the blues harp and the marine band best.
              Listen to my band's new song "Clover" and download our albums free. modgun.bandcamp.com

Comment

Golden Melodys are good for straight harp melody playing.

If hes a blues guy, get him a nice Lee Oscar in his fav key.

Comment

I buy the Marine Band ones. I'm not very good, but harmonica sure is fun as ****************.
                  Blakemore Effects (I now sell Dr. Scientist and DMB pedals in addition to my own.)
                  My pedal company.
                  Facebook page for Blakemore Effects

Comment

I have played off and on for the few years now. They are fun instrument once you get the fish-face technique to blow into just one hole. I have a bunch of Lee Oskar harmonica, nearly every key but B-flat currently. They have proven to be durable under my use, allowing you to bend and over-blow within reason. I also picked up a Hohner Low D and an 18-hole chromatic. I don't recommend chromatic for beginners.

Then pick up a Bottle O' Blues mic (http://www.bottle-o-blues.com/), plug into a Bad Monkey and have fun.
                    - ChadEndorsing Artist: Cave Passive Pedals

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by jw10
                      View Post

Special 20 and call it a day

^ This.
                      “One who loves & understands nature will never be alone & will never be afraid.”
                      -Rachel Carson-

Comment

special 20 x3!

Comment

You can't just blow. You have to suck, too.

Comment

Get him Jerry Portnoy's "Blues Harmonica Master Class." Tons of technique and info, and Jerry is a great teacher. Make sure he also has a harp in the Key of C - Hohners are good. If he's a blues guy, get him any CD by Little Walter, Big Walter or Junior Wells. Inspiration goes a long way.

PS: Yes, forgot about Sonny Boy (I and II)!
                            ... puppets jerking on their strings ...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by A.P. Ryder
                              View Post

If he's a blues guy, get him any CD by Little Walter, Big Walter or Junior Wells. Inspiration goes a long way.

This. I wouldn't say I'm a great (or even very good) harmonica player, but pretty much everything I know came from a Sonny Boy Williamson CD. One of the great things about blues harp is that there aren't that many notes, so if you hear a lick you like, chances are you can "find" it on your own instrument.

Comment

Working...
                              X