How many different amps do you use?

Tomm Williams

• Members

A Fender FM65R for guitar and an SWR LA12 for bass because I only have those two amps. As for what they do to justify their use, they amplify my instruments. Seriously, the Fender is plenty loud for worship but still lightweight and I only use the SWR at home as a practice amp.

• Members

My main amp is a Yamaha DG80-112 which really does it all. It's a bit of a lug though but only half the mass of the Twin Reverb that it replaced. I also use a SF Princeton Reverb for quiet gigs and a Subway Blues with blues/rock trio.

I recently acquired a Mustang IV which is interesting. One of the things I like about it is the stereo F/X return that is before the Master Volume control. I sometimes plug a Boss ME-25 into that and bypass the Mustang preamp. The Mustang itself is definitely a gig worthy amp and is quite light and portable even though it's about the same size as a Twin.

So, to directly answer the question posed in the OP… four.

• Members

It all depends on the tones that I want, but my fav home amps are a Gibson Goldtone LesPaul GA5 and a Fender PRRI. Sometimes I use the Dr Z Maz 18 or a Fender DRRI. Like I said it all depends.

I most use only one bass amp for recording., which is an Ashdown ABM 500 4x10 combo.

• Members

For outdoor events or large events I use a Dr. Z EZG-50. It breaks up very little and works very well with pedals. I also have a Marshall 100w Plexi that I also use as a clean amp. It works wonderfully for playing country with a telecaster. When I'm playing the R & R stuff in smaller venues I use a Dr. Z Remedy. All three run through a Jeff Swanson w 2-V30s. At home I use a Blues Jr and a Champ 600.or I plug into a Line 6 Firehawk with headphones.

• Members

I have a modified Prosonic head w/2x12 cab in my rehearsal space that I use for gigs in that part of town. At home, I have two other heads (Bedrock and Hovercraft) with another 2x12 cab for gigs in my home state. I also have a Soldano/VHT rack set up that I bring as a spare sometimes.

• Members

Three amps: A little Blackstart IDCore thing for headphone noodling and a tiny bit of recording - justified by allowing me silent practice with passable tone through the cans. A Rivera Pubster for mostly clean sounds and for when I want portability - justified by being super versatile, super portable, and louder than anything its size has a right to be. A Budda Superdrive 18 for high gain rock sounds and playing with the whole band - justified by being the best sounding amp I have ever played through.

• Members

I have a Vox AC 30, a Vox AC4, a black face bandmaster and a Tremolux 5E9 clone. the Tremolux is getting most of the play these days but the AC4 comes in handy for band practice and solo work. the AC 30 is good for outside gigs but even then the Tremolux is better - only 15 watts

• Members

1. Big Fat Clean Machine-50w SF Bassman into 1-15" Weber Chrome Dome California. This thing sounds fantastic. It dosent really distort until you get it really loud.

2. Grab n Go -Vintage Club 2110R 1-10" combo. Great little compact El34 amp. 20w, adequate for most any gig.

3. Alternative Grab n Go-Micro Terror into closed back 1-12"- Equally cool compact setup, Surprisly versatile esp. if you experiment with different tubes and speakers. Better heavy dirt than the Vintage Club (original tube, cheap Celestion speaker.)

4. Battery Power-Pignose Hog 20.

5. Bedroom practice-Mustang 1v2

6. Belt clip on portable-Honey Tone.

7. Acoustic/Vocals-Roland AC60.

For bass I play either the Bassman head into a Carvin 1-15" cab, or an SWR Workingmans 12. Both are viable for most gigs but I'd like to have a bit more power. Looking to get a 500w or so head and another bass cab.

• Members

1) Mesa Studio .22. Used mostly for playing at home It subbed for #2 while my loud amp was broken, but it's not quite loud enough.

2) Music Man HD-212, a 150 watt 2x12 combo amp, similar to a Fender Twin. Used for band practice and gigs when we have them.

3) Acoustic B20 bass amp. Little 20 watt, 1x12 bass combo for home practice

4) Ampeg PF-500 and Gallien-Krueger MBE 4x10 cabinet. Back when I played bass...

I have kids at home, so I sometimes practice through headphones using an original POD.

• Members

I have the Carvin V3, X-100B, Legacy 1,2,3 , a VHT (now called Fryette ) Pittbull Deliverance , Marshall JCM800, Mode Four , Fender Princeton, Bassman and Twin Reverb, Mesa-Boogie Mark 3,4,5 , Randall RG 80 , Warhead , Peavey Triple X , JSX and other various amps.

But a few years back, I got a Digitech 2112 SGS rack unit with two 12AX7 tubes in it and I did faithful recreations of the aforementioned amps and some. Now my amp heads can stay at home safe from getting beat up or stolen. The 2112 sounds great especially when I got two VHT Valvulator's pumping more "tube tone", filtering my effects pedals while lowing my guitar signal from high to low impedance.

I'm enjoying this thread, this could give me new angles on getting great tone.

• Members

Well I started it so I'll state that I have a HotRod3 with gold pin JJ's and a WGS g12 c/s. An AC15c1 again with gold pin JJ's and the stock Greenback and a Tweaker 40 (at the moment) with stock speaker and tubes.

In venues with enough room, I use the Fender and Vox together blending the sounds. The Fender is run clean and the Vox goes through a Dirty Little Secret and a Kelley four knob comp at all times. I switch to the Fender alone for cleans, both amps together for basic distortion and add a Soul Food or East River Drive ( or both !) for heavier tones. The Egnater is for venues too small for the Fender/Vox combo.

• Members

My main amp is a Budda superdrive 30 II head with a 2-12 with Vintage 30's. My home amp is a Peavey Valveking 20 head thru a 2-12 with Rocket 50 speakers. My acoustic amp is a Genz Benz Shenandoah Jr.

I also have an experiment "amp" that I made with a Pod Pro, a power amp, a 4 channel mixing board and a Peavey spider speaker.

• Members
Well I started it so I'll state that I have a HotRod3 with gold pin JJ's and a WGS g12 c/s. An AC15c1 again with gold pin JJ's and the stock Greenback and a Tweaker 40 (at the moment) with stock speaker and tubes.

In venues with enough room, I use the Fender and Vox together blending the sounds. The Fender is run clean and the Vox goes through a Dirty Little Secret and a Kelley four knob comp at all times. I switch to the Fender alone for cleans, both amps together for basic distortion and add a Soul Food or East River Drive ( or both !) for heavier tones. The Egnater is for venues too small for the Fender/Vox combo.

I do this with my Musicman 60x210 combo and my Fender Blues JR. Fender clean and the Musicman has a really nice break up.

Smaller rooms and when micing the amp I use the Blues Jr. Bit bigger room and left at band's practice space is the Musicman. I got used the Blues Jr's while playing with an original band that played a lot of clubs in NYC where they always have a backline - most of the time I was playing thorugh Blues Jr's that were miced

Just as the title says........how many different amps do you currently use and what do those amps do that justify their use?

I currently have about eight amps. I often run two of them together in stereo, or will sometimes switch between two (one clean, one dirty), and sometimes I just use one at a time. One of the amps is a bass amp, one is a Vox which sounds completely different than my Marshall, which sounds completely different than my Fenders. For me, it's all about tonal variety and the ability to be versatile in the types of sounds we can generate - and record.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I currently have the following amps and here's their use:

1) THD Bivalve 30 - Main workhorse for gigs

2) Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Texas Red - Use this for blues

3) Fender "Evil Twin" Head - Use this for surf tunes large outdoor venues, or when I want to recreate the opening scene from Back to the Future :D

4) Fender Super Champ X2 Head - Amp for band practice

5) Fender Vibro Champ XD - Personal practice amp

Heads are run through a Marshal 2x12.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived