Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Is The Electric Guitar Dying?

Collapse



X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    This thread alarmed me so much I immediately ran to my guitar and plugged it in. It made the most heart-wrenching wail I've ever heard. You're right. It's dying.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by AlenK View Post
      This thread alarmed me so much I immediately ran to my guitar and plugged it in. It made the most heart-wrenching wail I've ever heard. You're right. It's dying.


      Nice one.

      We live in an incredibly hyperbolic era. Headlines and article titles especially. If guitar sales are down on some trendline, then the electric guitar is "dying". If someone criticizes anything, then it's an "attack". Any proposed legislation that slows someone's agenda for everyone is an "assault". Some occurrence typifies a trend and it's the most [insert adjective] EVER. A spike in any measurable quantity is described as "exploding". Most any activity that can become a habit is an "addiction". Any taking issue in certain touchy contexts is "hate". Bang! Biff!! Pow!!! The metaphors are all from violence, war, the extremes. Even NPR, my go-to source of relative news-sanity, proclaims that we are experiencing "Eclipse Madness"!

      And where the articles are borderline objective, such as the medical research blurbs where some vague statistical correlation in a single study proves a "link" between X and Y...the public can be counted on to do the rest of the extrapolating into "X causes Y" and voila, confusion and error is EVERYWHERE!!

      nat
      Last edited by nat whilk II; 08-13-2017, 12:48 PM.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Anderton View Post

        Not exactly...see the following from Neilsen for albums, downloads, streaming, and vinyl's combined final figures for 2015 in the US. If you take away streaming and downloads, where EDM is strongest, it drops down to 2%. The global EDM market (live performance, streaming, the whole enchilada) has increased by 3% or so in the past year, so maybe now it's at 4.5%. EDM may be "in" for people who want to make music, but it's "in" to only a small percentage of people listening to music.




        Also considering only electric guitars is too narrow. There are stringed instruments, brass instruments, percussion instruments, and keyboard instruments. Each category remains vital in one way or another. Sure, the electric guitar has been around fro 75 years or whatever...but lutes were around long before that. Ukuleles are huge...they're the stringed instruments of today.
        Interesting graph and definitely contradicts what I`m seeing. I don`t see people flocking to rock concerts unless its one of the bigger artists. It seems like there aren`t any new bands that are on the scene who are making a dent... The Killers are the last band I can think of who came out of the rock genre and made something of themselves. Of course, their music is also heavy with synths.

        You would have a better understanding of guitar sales than most so I cannot argue with you. However, I would venture to say that the guys who are buying guitars are probably 45+ years of age and are buying multiple guitars now that they actually have some $$$ to burn.

        I guess what I`m trying to say is, I don`t see the guitar as the dominant instrument in the foreseeable future.


        Last edited by Ernest Buckley; 08-15-2017, 11:04 AM.

        Comment


        • #49
          I myself would hesitate to predict the future of the electric guitar or any other instrument for that matter. By definition, it's the unexpected innovators that catch the public's attention, so creativity buck trends or it wouldn't be "creative". And predicting what the public might latch onto? Wouldn't we all love to be able to do that!

          1983 - 1986 was not an auspicious time for electric guitar players. By that time even Van Halen was showing some signs of starting to roll down the has-been side of the big rock candy mountain - the superstar electric guitar player was just not the hot commodity any longer. The 80s hair bands, well, did not help matters to say the least. And some of those guys were players, no question, if only the music wasn't so...what it was.

          But SRV came along, harkening back to a dead and gone genre by that date - gut bucket Texas electric blues, channeling Hendrix and Albert King like it was still 1968 or something. Before he hit the big time, we all knew him here in Austin from the late 70s, playing with LouAnn Barton, Paul Ray and the Cobras, - oh, yeah, I'd say - that guy who really tears it up like Hendrix, I thought. He's mighty good I thought back then, but he won't break into anything big unless he moves on to something less been-there-done-that.

          So I gave up predicting musical futures after that.

          nat

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
            You would have a better understanding of guitar sales than most so I cannot argue with you. However, I would venture to say that the guys who are buying guitars are probably 45+ years of age and are buying multiple guitars now that they actually have some $$$ to burn.
            That is a big part of the guitar-buying public for expensive guitars. Epiphones and Squiers skew younger.

            I guess what I`m trying to say is, I don`t see the guitar as the dominant instrument in the foreseeable future.
            Ukuleles are huge at the moment. Whether that leads to an "upgrade" to electric guitars or not is anyone's guess. However, I suspect that the increase in acoustic guitar sales may be due to the increase in ukulele sales.
            Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

            Subscribe, like, and share the links!

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by nat whilk II View Post



              Nice one.

              We live in an incredibly hyperbolic era. Headlines and article titles especially. If guitar sales are down on some trendline, then the electric guitar is "dying". If someone criticizes anything, then it's an "attack". Any proposed legislation that slows someone's agenda for everyone is an "assault". Some occurrence typifies a trend and it's the most [insert adjective] EVER. A spike in any measurable quantity is described as "exploding". Most any activity that can become a habit is an "addiction". Any taking issue in certain touchy contexts is "hate". Bang! Biff!! Pow!!! The metaphors are all from violence, war, the extremes. Even NPR, my go-to source of relative news-sanity, proclaims that we are experiencing "Eclipse Madness"!

              And where the articles are borderline objective, such as the medical research blurbs where some vague statistical correlation in a single study proves a "link" between X and Y...the public can be counted on to do the rest of the extrapolating into "X causes Y" and voila, confusion and error is EVERYWHERE!!

              nat

              I am Mad as hell!
              Just got a nice Grill and later read someplace that eating red meat will kill me.

              I am so sick of chicken!

              All jokes aside, valid and interesting points.
              If you stand for nothing your life becomes meaningless. The world and everything you have today exist because people before you stood up, worked hard and died to provide us all the opportunity. Get involved!

              Audio Icon

              Comment


              • #52
                1. They were priced too high AND
                2. Synths are a lot more powerful and you never need to tune them.
                3. Few nations are listening to the over-driven electric guitar music
                except the Anglophone Five. Other music not so dependent on
                electric guitars is ascendant.
                4. BUT...

                Prices of US-made Gibson's are falling. Fender must follow suit.
                The Pac-Rim prices are going to crash badly. Why should I buy a
                Korean fake Guild, Gretsch, Gibson or whatever, when an US-made
                and PLEK'd LP is $200 less?

                There has never been a better time to buy US-made electrics.
                Prices will go yet lower too. I never wanted an LP. But the prices are so low and the quality so good, It was a no-brainer.

                As prices fall - sales will rise and eventually plateau.

                I took the plunge. Glad I did. This thing is a gas to play.

                http://www.gibson.com/Products/Elect.../2017/USA.aspx
                Last edited by Etienne Rambert; 08-27-2017, 06:59 AM.
                He has escaped! Youtube , ‚ÄčMurika , France

                Comment













                Working...
                X