No announcement yet.

Your Predictions for the Music Industry in 2015

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Predictions for the Music Industry in 2015

I'm thinking specifically music industry, not record industry...this can be about technology, the future of stores vs. e-commerce, whether the desire of people to make music will continue or decline, etc. I'm interested in your thoughts before I share mine.
    Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Very interesting question. I believe that online will gain a stronger foothold, BUT (and a big but), safer more reliable shipping will have to be developed along with better packaging. Also, I think a credit card secured "try before you buy" program will need to be developed. Instruments are personal. People (for the most part) are tactile. The like to "touch and feel" instruments. The plus side for the MI online retailer will be that instruments are by and large an emotional buy. If they can get a guitar in a potential buyers hands after he has had a chance to thoroughly check it out online with a "personal shopper", you will probably have the customer hooked once he has it in his hands and developed a bond.
    Just my two pennies.

D
    Keeping the Harmony at Harmony Central

Comment

That brings up a question I have---we hear much about the decline in recorded music sales, but what is the state of the musical instrument industry? Are sales of guitars, keyboards and drums way down? Up? Holding steady? I've never seen anything on this.

Comment

I think manufacturing cool stuff became so easy there's a glut of all kinds of gear and worse, unrealistic investment. Marketing has to push beyond actual demand which probably tapers drastically below the top 10% of gigging pros.The industry relies on inflated prices and disposable stock to make up the difference and keep the machine fueled.
        Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Speaking of marketing, clicking the Drasp amp review on the front page returns this:
          A Database Error Occurred

Error Number: 1064
          You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'AND ntv.contenttypeid = 22 AND ntv.publishdate is not null AND ntv.publishdate >' at line 5
          SELECT *, 'expert-reviews' as content_type FROM ( SELECT ntv.* FROM forum.NODE_TEXT_VIEW ntv JOIN hc_product_catalog.nodes_categories nc ON ntv.nodeid = nc.nodeid WHERE ntv.parentid = AND ntv.contenttypeid = 22 AND ntv.publishdate is not null AND ntv.publishdate > ntv.unpublishdate ORDER BY ntv.publishdate DESC) t1 WHERE t1.publishdate < (SELECT publishdate FROM forum.node WHERE nodeid = 31309143) LIMIT 1
          Filename: /var/www/hc_reviews/hc_application/models/blog_model.php
          Line Number: 1650

The feedback button gets the same thing.

Comment

I think its going to be a very interesting year. With Youtube's new upcoming music service, things will change a lot. Even Soundcloud is changing their service to monetize it somehow. I think record sales may continue to drop due to these factors. Though things have been somewhat conflicting lately, with more and more artists boycotting many streaming services. We'll have to wait and see how things unfold in the coming year.

In terms of the technology front, I think there might be more mobile-friendly products being introduced. All sorts of gear and equipment that can interface with tablets/smartphones. Will it greatly impact the way we record? I don't really think so. I think of those type of products as more of a niche market though their intention is to reach a broader market. The whole idea of recording "on the go" is contradictory. You can make recording more "convenient" but it kind of goes against the proper way of doing things, like setting up a studio space and going for quality sound.
            Moderator - The Singer's Forum
            Follow me on Twitter and Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by 1001gear View Post
              The industry relies on inflated prices and disposable stock to make up the difference and keep the machine fueled.
              I'd have to disagree in most cases about inflated prices. Margins are very low for manufacturers and for retailers because price competition is so stiff. This is how you end up with situations like companies grossing much more than previous years, but netting much less.

Margins aren't quite as bad as the consumer electronics market, but heading in that direction.
              Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

I've been wrong about the future of the music industry so many times, I won't be guessing again. Sure things: People will continue to make music. Most of it won't go very far. Ampex won't get back into the tape deck business, and software will continue to be more complex and do add more features that only a few pepole will ever really need and Tech Support can't explain clearly.
                --
                "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
                Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

Originally posted by 1001gear View Post
                  Speaking of marketing, clicking the Drasp amp review on the front page returns this:
                  A Database Error Occurred

Error Number: 1064
                  You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'AND ntv.contenttypeid = 22 AND ntv.publishdate is not null AND ntv.publishdate >' at line 5
                  SELECT *, 'expert-reviews' as content_type FROM ( SELECT ntv.* FROM forum.NODE_TEXT_VIEW ntv JOIN hc_product_catalog.nodes_categories nc ON ntv.nodeid = nc.nodeid WHERE ntv.parentid = AND ntv.contenttypeid = 22 AND ntv.publishdate is not null AND ntv.publishdate > ntv.unpublishdate ORDER BY ntv.publishdate DESC) t1 WHERE t1.publishdate < (SELECT publishdate FROM forum.node WHERE nodeid = 31309143) LIMIT 1
                  Filename: /var/www/hc_reviews/hc_application/models/blog_model.php
                  Line Number: 1650

The feedback button gets the same thing.

Thanks for calling my attention to this.
                  We rolled some new code and this seems to be the only fallout (that we know of).
                  D
                  Keeping the Harmony at Harmony Central

Comment

Hey, here's a simple one: The Expert Review and User Review links don't work from within the Forum pages. I have to back out to the Home page to get to the reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton View Post

I'd have to disagree in most cases about inflated prices. Margins are very low for manufacturers and for retailers because price competition is so stiff. This is how you end up with situations like companies grossing much more than previous years, but netting much less.

Margins aren't quite as bad as the consumer electronics market, but heading in that direction.
                      I'm no economist obviously but some quick arithmetic shows everybody making no money resulting in trillion dollar consortiums. It doesn't take but a few more assumptions to conclude that inflated numbers = liquidity = the wealth.

Comment

On the recording industry side, I think we'll see more of artists integrating their music with other forms of media. For example, the Foo Fighters have a new career performing in music documentaries, and a variety of artists work as TV talent judges while also showcasing their own music on those shows. The hot new trend seems to be album apps, and it'll be interesting to see how artists embrace this new way of releasing their music in 2015. Boom or bust, I think we'll see an increasing number of album apps for at least the next year or two—until we see how well the market embraces them anyway.

As for MI, I don't see an end to lower profit margins; but I also don't think MI profit margins will ever sink to the low of flat screen TV margins. iPad music making apps will increase in sales and popularity as the iPad increases in power and ability to become more of a one stop music production machine.

As for music making, I think at some point people will begin to tire of their isolated musical niches and we'll see new fusions of styles emerge: perhaps acoustic with electronic or cutting edge mixed with retro; but this may not happen as early as 2015.

Best,

Geoff
                        Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton View Post
                          I'm thinking specifically music industry, not record industry...this can be about technology, the future of stores vs. e-commerce, whether the desire of people to make music will continue or decline, etc. I'm interested in your thoughts before I share mine.
                          Modular synthesis will continue to grow more and more popular, inching its way toward mainstream electronic keyboards.

Piggybacking on this, electronic instruments, both hardware and software, will become increasingly customizable both physically (ordering them) and virtually, through modeling.

More stuff will be in the cloud, including virtual instruments. DAWs will be increasingly offered on a subscription basis similar to how Photoshop is offered now.

Computers will be able to increasingly not just tell you what error is occurring, but fix themselves. I actually don't know that this is going to happen. I'm just trying to put it out there in the universe.

Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Yeah, code is the future. It's malleable, ships at no cost and is disposable. Win win.

Well, for the Cylons anyway...

Comment

We're gonna see more and more trigger pad devices, on which floppy haired twerps can mimic the action of composing a text message on their phone, while triggering samples. But I'm not a bit cynical, oh no.....
                              flip the phase

Comment

Working...
                              X