Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The WHO Superbowl halftime show: Overcompressed?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could you tell what model Fenders they were? They sounded quite nice.

Somewhere, there's a Mix mag article about the Pete T guitar/amp combo that was used on Fooled, etc. Apparently it was a Fender gifted to him by Joe Walsh. I believe those Fenders are the reissue.

I might be way off here, but I think that's what's going on with the Pete amps we saw.

Comment

I just find it very ironic, that those classic rock groups, once considered the epitome of rebellion and revolution, are now the only ones considered "safe" enough to play the superbowl halftime show. Rock 'n Roll has come a long way. Perhaps not the way it originally intended on going.

Good insight. Never thought about it that way. This is a topic for another thread!

Comment

not the best Who performance.
        Daltry,once his voice warmed up, had the best rock scream for teenage Wasteland.
        Daltry has the best rock scream in rock. IMO.

Ever hear Chris Cornell?

Comment

Ever hear Chris Cornell?

I'm a big fan of both Soundgarden and AudioSlave. Nevertheless, I've heard Chris Cornell live more than once, and he wasn't very good.

Comment

No matter who it is we always seem to bash the halftime show here on this forum. It wasn't great, and the Who would not have been my choice. But Pete Townsends vocals and guitar were defintely live.

??? A few of those windmills looked like they didn't connect to me ???
            I don't really care if they lip synced or not, it's almost to be expected for an event like the Superbowl. I was really surprised to see Pete playing thru Fenders too.

Sound was very unusual where I saw the game ... a mom and pop type bar on a Big Screen, that didn't have any speakers at all (yard sale???) I counted 20 other TV's all around the bar which were turned up, so it was like surround sound everywhere !!!!

A pretty fun evening for sure, but I'm glad football is over now, so we can get to the music.

Russ
            Nashville
            "In Order To Predict The Future .... Create It"

Comment

??? A few of those windmills looked like they didn't connect to me ???
              There was another guitar player up there with him, but I heard a few choked notes, and notes that didn't end exaclty with the song. His vocals were also a bit flat. I just really doubt that if he was going to lipsync that he would have left flat vox and guitar flubs in the mix. But I guess these days, you never know.
              "It's all good; except when it's Great."

www.jotown.com

Comment

There was another guitar player up there with him...

His brother, Simon Townshend.

Those were all guys who have played with the Who some 15+ years. Pino Palladino on bass, Zak Starkey (Ringo Starr's son) on drums, and John "Rabbit" Bundrick on keys.
                Music, thoughts, stuff, and... I guess that's all

Comment

A few years ago, Roger was the host of a live action TV show in England, devoted to the leisurely patrician pleasures of country fishing and hunting.

(Hey, if ya can't beat 'em, join 'em!)
                  Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

I just want to put out there that many cable/sat boxes have "dynamics" control settings in the menus. Despite turning it off, maybe when they update the firmware(?), it ends up back on and set on "high".
                    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused."

www.scredco.com - Gear and FOR SALE list on my web site.

Clips: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=777819

Comment

Somewhere, there's a Mix mag article about the Pete T guitar/amp combo that was used on Fooled, etc. Apparently it was a Fender gifted to him by Joe Walsh. I believe those Fenders are the reissue.

I might be way off here, but I think that's what's going on with the Pete amps we saw.

That was the tip I needed. I tracked down an online EQ interview:

http://www.eqmag.com/article/tracking-townshend/August-2007/32549

Seems like they were probably Fender Vibro Kings ($4995 MSRP ) along with an Eric Clapton Strat.

http://www.fender.com/artists/artist.php?id=150

Comment

It's kinduva weird sport. But a really fun one...at least, I think so.

I'm so glad the Saints won, if for no other reason than it's something so great for New Orleans. I'm so happy for everyone there. Talk about a city that needs to feel good about something. There it is. Super great. They were definitely underdogs, but through grit and determination and intelligence and smarts and heads up plays and a lot of preparation, managed to get one over on the Colts and Manning, who is one incredible quarterback.

Someone actually put a stopwatch to it, and there was actually 14 minutes of action, compared to the 11 minute average for most NFL games.

G-Dub
                        www.studiog-fx.com
                        15 inch Quad-core i7, Macbook Pro,
                        OSX 10.8.2, LPX, Logic 9.1.8, Apollo Duo

Comment

he game was great... It is mere filler for a wonderful event and this year did not disappoint!
                          Fundraising
                          Fundraising Ideas
                          School Fundraising

Comment

Working...
                          X