The WHO Superbowl halftime show: Overcompressed?

amplayer

• Members

I haven't seen or heard it, but Lefsetz posted a scathing criticism.

He then posted all the comments he got from people reacting to his criticism.

It's fascinating reading, with just about every other commenter saying they

either loved it or hated it.

And loved or hated old Bob's critique.

Quite few who liked the show were brutal towards Lefsetz in their comments.

Many saying they're unsubscribing and will never read him again! (Insert Crash Cymbal);)

Seems like the TV audience, at least, was totally polarised.

Evidently the actual audience at the game was singing along and it went over

pretty well.

What happened to "I hope I die before I get old?"

It was great to see The Saints win.

Even if I am from another country on the other side of the planet

where the game isn't played and I don't understand the rules at all.

The Mrs and I like watching "GridIron" because it's so weird from

our perspective.

As an example of our total 100% ignorance, I haven't the faintest

foggy idea what a 1st down is!

• Members

I was pretty surprised The Who were chosen. It could've been a lot more interesting. Having said that... it was a lot of fun to see Pete be Pete as his age. At first it seemed a little awkward, but he started getting his stage legs, GO PETE.

What the hell. It was fun seeing a back to back stack of Fenders.

Could you tell what model Fenders they were? They sounded quite nice.

• Members

It was great to see The Saints win.

Even if I am from another country on the other side of the planet

where the game isn't played and I don't understand the rules at all.

The Mrs and I like watching "GridIron" because it's so weird from

our perspective.

It's kinduva weird sport. But a really fun one...at least, I think so.

I'm so glad the Saints won, if for no other reason than it's something so great for New Orleans. I'm so happy for everyone there. Talk about a city that needs to feel good about something. There it is. Super great. They were definitely underdogs, but through grit and determination and intelligence and smarts and heads up plays and a lot of preparation, managed to get one over on the Colts and Manning, who is one incredible quarterback.

• Members
I just find it very ironic, that those classic rock groups, once considered the epitome of rebellion and revolution, are now the only ones considered "safe" enough to play the superbowl halftime show. Rock 'n Roll has come a long way. Perhaps not the way it originally intended on going.

Its just life. Have you ever met a murderer on death row who is 66? Not the same hell raiser he was in his 20's. Doesn't change who he was. Rock is old, and it has matured. Woodstock was over 40 years ago. It is just the natural course of things.

• Moderators

Could you tell what model Fenders they were? They sounded quite nice.

Somewhere, there's a Mix mag article about the Pete T guitar/amp combo that was used on Fooled, etc. Apparently it was a Fender gifted to him by Joe Walsh. I believe those Fenders are the reissue.

I might be way off here, but I think that's what's going on with the Pete amps we saw.

• Members

I just find it very ironic, that those classic rock groups, once considered the epitome of rebellion and revolution, are now the only ones considered "safe" enough to play the superbowl halftime show. Rock 'n Roll has come a long way. Perhaps not the way it originally intended on going.

Good insight. Never thought about it that way. This is a topic for another thread!:thu:

• Members

No matter who it is we always seem to bash the halftime show here on this forum. It wasn't great, and the Who would not have been my choice. But Pete Townsends vocals and guitar were defintely live.

??? A few of those windmills looked like they didn't connect to me ???

I don't really care if they lip synced or not, it's almost to be expected for an event like the Superbowl. I was really surprised to see Pete playing thru Fenders too.

Sound was very unusual where I saw the game ... a mom and pop type bar on a Big Screen, that didn't have any speakers at all (yard sale???) I counted 20 other TV's all around the bar which were turned up, so it was like surround sound everywhere !!!!

A pretty fun evening for sure, but I'm glad football is over now, so we can get to the music.

Russ

Nashville

• Members
??? A few of those windmills looked like they didn't connect to me ???

There was another guitar player up there with him, but I heard a few choked notes, and notes that didn't end exaclty with the song. His vocals were also a bit flat. I just really doubt that if he was going to lipsync that he would have left flat vox and guitar flubs in the mix. But I guess these days, you never know. :confused:

• Members

Somewhere, there's a Mix mag article about the Pete T guitar/amp combo that was used on Fooled, etc. Apparently it was a Fender gifted to him by Joe Walsh. I believe those Fenders are the reissue.

I might be way off here, but I think that's what's going on with the Pete amps we saw.

That was the tip I needed. I tracked down an online EQ interview:

http://www.eqmag.com/article/tracking-townshend/August-2007/32549

Seems like they were probably Fender Vibro Kings ($4995 MSRP :eek:) along with an Eric Clapton Strat.

http://www.fender.com/artists/artist.php?id=150

• Members

It's kinduva weird sport. But a really fun one...at least, I think so.

I'm so glad the Saints won, if for no other reason than it's something so great for New Orleans. I'm so happy for everyone there. Talk about a city that needs to feel good about something. There it is. Super great. They were definitely underdogs, but through grit and determination and intelligence and smarts and heads up plays and a lot of preparation, managed to get one over on the Colts and Manning, who is one incredible quarterback.

Someone actually put a stopwatch to it, and there was actually 14 minutes of action, compared to the 11 minute average for most NFL games.

:eek:

Archived