Do you have a favorite bass?

ThudMaker

• Moderators

Mine is a 95/96 Fender P Bass Special. I removed the Kubicki active electronics, as I prefer passive with 500K pots, which are very bright anyway. V/V/T. I have another one of these, too. They play like butter.

PBassDXBlondeBodyShot2.jpg

• Members

I have only 3 bass guitars, if you consider the Kala Uke Bass a real bass.

Anyway, my fav bass is a Fender American Jazz Deluxe 4 string.

Looks like the with the torti shell pick-guard.

fetch?photoid=31410674

• Members

I have 4 Basses, two long scale and two short scale, a Precision and a build of my own which has a Precision body and a Washburn neck which is similar to a Jazz Bass Neck. The short scales are a Gretch Electromatic and a Hofner Club.

The Hofner is my newest bass so I been playing and recording with that one more then the others lately. Its only an Ignition but it's built well and sounds fantastic after doing a little additional fret leveling and putting a regular vintage Hofner bridge on it. Finding the right strings took awhile too.

bas6b.jpg

• Members
Mine is a 95/96 Fender P Bass Special. I removed the Kubicki active electronics, as I prefer passive with 500K pots, which are very bright anyway. V/V/T. I have another one of these, too. They play like butter.

PBassDXBlondeBodyShot2.jpg

The bass player in my band has one of those and I removed the active electronics for him too.

• Members

If by favorite, we mean the one that gets played 98% of the time, it would be the much reviled USA Fender 5-string. Mine is over 10 years old at least, and perhaps older, I bought it used 10-15 years ago as a second to my "good" Fender USA 5 string in black. It is a light green metallic color, and a prior caretaker had sanded the finish off of the back of the neck. I bought it pretty cheap with the intention of swapping out the neck for a Moses Graphite as soon as the neck inevitably warped. This bass lives in midwest garages, and practice shacks, and has never been invited into my home. Right now it sits in its case in my garage in front of my wifes SUV where I leave it. It is awaiting its next use, (hopefully Memorial Day) where it will be subjected to rapid humidity and temp changes, very likely be in-tune, except for the G string. (that key never seems to land in a spot where it will fit into the case properly!) I am still waiting for the neck to warp so I can have my weatherproof bass. Till that day arrives, I imagine I will keep playing this one.

2jazz.jpg

It seems I lied, or rather exaggerated at the least. The green bass made it inside at least once as this picture proves. I still have the amp, cab and black bass, although none have been touched in many years.

• Moderators

I don't have a bass I play 98% of the time, not even close. I play bass in three different bands, and rotate between five different basses. For some time, my favorite bass has been my 1978 Rickenbacker Burgundyglo 4001 with Bartolini pickups, but, for one reason or another, it had fallen out of the rotation. I've been using my Mapleglo 4001 with the hippie stoner jam band, my trans green 4004Cii with the low energy classic rock band, along with my Ovation acoustic-electric for our "unplugged" gigs, and my modified white Ric 4000 and Carvin LB-75 with the high energy classic rock band. Lately, I've been playing the Burgundyglo 4001 with the hippie stoner jam bad, at least at rehearsals.

For me, the Burgundy 4001, Maple 4001 and white 4000 all play very well. There's not much to choose between them. The Maple has a chip in the finish right in the middle of the neck, right where my thumb goes at the fourth position. That's annoying. It also has single coil pickups (stock Ric high gains), which can pick up a lot of noise in some venues. I've mostly fixed that by modding the bridge pickup, but it can still be a problem when using a solo pickup. The Burgindy has humbucking Barts, and the white humbucking Seymour Duncans. I really prefer the Barts, but the SDs somehow work well in the high energy classic rock band.

So I have six different basses that I like for different applications, but, if I had to choose just one, it would be the Burgundyglo 4001.

Archived