OT: Good guitars not important for creativity

scolfax

• Members

From the PDF found here: http://changethis.com/6.HowToBeCreative

10) The more talented somebody is, the less they need the props

Meeting a person who wrote a masterpiece on the back of a deli menu would not surprise me. Meeting a person who wrote a masterpiece with a silver Cartier fountain pen on an antique writing table in an airy SoHo loft would SERIOUSLY surprise me.

Abraham Lincoln wrote The Gettysburg Address on a piece of ordinary stationery that he had borrowed from the friend in whose house he was staying.

James Joyce wrote with a simple pencil and notebook. Somebody else did the typing, but only much later.

Van Gogh rarely painted with more than six colors on his palette.

I draw on the back of wee biz cards. Whatever.

There

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There's multiple sides to most things.

Certainly, there is something to the idea that with talent/skill you can create something great in spite of poor tools.

BUT! I also believe that the best tools are the most transparent to the creative process - the less you have to fight the tools, the more you can put directly into the creative process.

Yes, you can blow off valuable time "searching for the perfect tool" - but you can really hamper your creativity by using {censored}ty tools.

I think a middle ground is good.

- and I'm perfectly willing to accept that for some, they can use the "struggling against difficult tools" to actually fuel the creativity engine. But I don't think EVERYone works best that way.

To each their own.

• Members

lol figures that was written by some marketing asshole. i work with these people every single day - they're worse than used car salesmen. case in point:

ChangeThis is creating a new kind of media. A form of media that uses existing tools (like PDFs, blogs and the web) to challenge the way ideas are created and spread.

that doesn't even make sense.

a new kind of media using ... existing media? blogs AND the web?!?! there're blogs that don't use the web? so "web log" is a misnomer!?!? holy {censored}!!!!! my mind is blown.

shut the hell up, asshole, you're just another pretentious blogger, which is nothing even remotely new.

truckster.jpg

ya think ya hate it now ... wait till ya drive it.

• Members

The point about the tool being invisible in the creation process is a good and very valid one. The point about using garbage to create things isn't.

Now many people WILL buy things that are way too complex and inhibit creativity because they can never master the tool they've chosen. Software is a typical example: how many people have sat down with a package to try to do something, only to struggle and give up because they didn't know how it worked? But that doesn't make Photoshop or Protools bad - it's just a reflection of the individuals limitations.

Now having tools that make getting the job done *easier* will certainly help creativity, hence owning a better guitar and decent tone may well actually release creativity that could otherwise not be expressed. The case in point about blues player IS an interesting one - how much did they sound like that *because* they were fighting their crappy guitars? I have SRV at the El Mocambo on DVD, and I can see, as well as hear, him fighting the heavy strings he used - it's a part of his tone and style. In that context he's picked the right tool for HIS job (and it's also a very fine and rare strat) that was the epitome of what he wanted from an instrument.

Better IS good.

• Members

From the PDF found here:
http://changethis.com/6.HowToBeCreative

With this in mind, is our collective quest for the perfect guitar a waste of time that's hindering us from being truly creative?

I've come up with some of my best riffs and songs playing a crappy Morgan strat that has terrible intonation and the worst pickups ever. Sometimes running it through a Roland Cube 30 :lol:

:idk:

• Members

oh yes.. being in a deli makes you more talented

than being in a penthouse loft...

what he meant was being rich makes you less likely to have

talent than being poor/middle class...

oh ya, that makes all kinds of sense

this is stupid //end thread

• Members

Creativity comes from within. Tools are not necessary to express it. If creativity is your core driving force, then you don't NEED anything to express it. You will find some way to get it out. Maybe not even guitars. You might sing, needing nothing but your voice.

Tools are always a double edged sword. While they open up certain avenues of creativity, they are also inherently limiting. You can't make an acoustic guitar without an amp make metal music. You have to choose the tools that meet your needs.

As most creative artists improve, their tools tend to become simpler because they have discovered what they need to accomplish their mission. Their tools become simpler, but much more focused on a known job. Our artist friend may have only had six colors on his pallette, but I'll wager that they were very carefully chosen. Others will use tools to hide behind.

Some folks just like to play, collect and modify guitars. I don't think that is the same as hiding behind a pillar. I call that a choice. If you have fun doing that, by all means, have a good time.

I think it really depends on your priorities.

If all you have is a beat up Harmony and you want to make music, you will do so and it won't stand in your way. If you want to make music like, say, Yes, you are going to need more tools. I won't accuse them of hiding behind anything.

So, yes, some will hide behind pillars. Others will use those same tools to make beautiful music. It comes down to the artist. Genius will come through regardless of the situation. A putz is still a putz, no matter what he has.

Broad brushes are also a pillar to hide behind so stating that everyone who has a nice guitar is hiding is not accurate. It happens, of course, but it isn't universal. It's also untrue that everyone who plays a cheap git is a genius in waiting.

EG

• Members

Looks like the guy just drew the wrong conclusions from the facts at hand. Seems to me a better conclusion would be that being young, poor and somewhat desperate to succeed will bring forth talent and creativity quicker than being comfortable/rich will. The quality of equipment is just a side note to that.

Archived