NGD: SX STL50 CAR

Hoople Head

• Members

SX tele. No big whoop, right? But I took some pics so might as well post them...

IMG_1532.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

Nice guitar. Couldn't have reasonably expected any better for the price.

Having some issues with fret buzz from the 10th-12th on up since I lowered the saddles down (to about 6/64ths), so that's pissing me off. I have/had similar issues with my Xaviere 620. I can either blame this on the cheap, lacquered necks, or maybe more rightfully surmise that my setup skills are crap.

Anyway, planned upgrades are:

- Black TUSQ nut

- Black GFS "super smooth" tuners (going for a black & red theme here)

- GFS Lil Puncher pickups (with a push/pull pot for coil splitting)

- GFS stainless steel saddles

Possibly also:

- Black control plate/knobs

- Black bridge plate - if one will fit, I've heard that these SX plates are sized kinda weird

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Did it arrive with missing switch tip?

That's a nice lookin' tele for the money... $89, right?

Right, came with a giant top hat switch tip in a baggy. I'll probably get one of the smaller styled tips. Also randomly missing a pickguard screw. But yeah, seems like you can't beat the deal for a modding platform.

• Members

I am glad you are enjoying your sub $100 guitar.

Great for you.

{censored}ing junk. Worth twice what you paid for it!

If you don't notice a difference, you're so much better off....

I REALLY DO wish I could play like that. I really do, but after so many years, and so many guitars, man....

you learn that tone is in your fingers and the relationship to the pickups, and the in-between is the guitar, and man, the SX line of guitars is garbage.

Glad you like it, though, I really do....

I do wish I could get by on that kind of workmanship, but anymore, I just cannot.

Good luck modding it. I wish you the best.

• Members

Right, came with a giant top hat switch tip in a baggy. I'll probably get one of the smaller styled tips. Also randomly missing a pickguard screw. But yeah, seems like you can't beat the deal for a modding platform.

If you find a place that sells a smaller switch tip that fits, let me know. One of the down sides of my Rondo Tele is I hate that big ass witch hat switch tip. None of the smaller 3-way/5-way switch tips on several of my guitars I have tried will fit this switch.

• Members

If you find a place that sells a smaller switch tip that fits, let me know. One of the down sides of my Rondo Tele is I hate that big ass witch hat switch tip. None of the smaller 3-way/5-way switch tips will fit this switch.

I've seen the smaller tips on StewMac, Allparts, and Warmoth so far. Not sure if they will fit perfectly, though. Might just end up putting in a new switch anyway (4- or 5-way)

• Members

I was harsh. Didn't mean to come off like that.

My apologies.

NBD. I realize it's a cheap guitar. It's not a prized possession. I'm going to rod it out and I wouldn't do that with a pricey instrument. Different strokes for different folks.

• Members

Indeed, enjoy it. My bad.

I see some on here talk about cheapie guitars like they are the end-all be all.

It does irritate me, to be honest, but because most are young and ignorant, so be it.

I know you are not, and you realize you know what you are getting into. I have bought a few SX'x, and the necks were (ahem) "playful" to say the least, the hardware was absolute {censored}ing junk and the body was "OK", (depending on if they liked you when they shipped it).

{censored}ing junk, to be honest.

As long as you know what you're doing, and you obviously do, that's cool.

I was wrong to piss on it from the get-to.

But it's gonna take some doing to make it an instrument.

Again, I shouldn't have posted like that, my bad, but make no mistake, these pieces of {censored} are not fine quality instruments out of the box.

• Members

Indeed, enjoy it. My bad.

I see some on here talk about cheapie guitars like they are the end-all be all.

It does irritate me, to be honest, but because most are young and ignorant, so be it.

I know you are not, and you realize you know what you are getting into. I have bought a few SX'x, and the necks were (ahem) "playful" to say the least, the hardware was absolute {censored}ing junk and the body was "OK", (depending on if they liked you when they shipped it).

{censored}ing junk, to be honest.

As long as you know what you're doing, and you obviously do, that's cool.

I was wrong to piss on it from the get-to.

But it's gonna take some doing to make it an instrument.

Again, I shouldn't have posted like that, my bad, but make no mistake, these pieces of {censored} are not fine quality instruments out of the box.

Just curious, could you have been more of a dick? I'm not sure you got your point across...:poke:

• Members

Got my STL-50CAR today as well.

No, it's not the be-all, end-all, best kept secret of the guitar world.

But, it's the best damn $90 guitar I've ever laid hands on. My 52RI-BIG is a lot nicer, more solid, but it's not the be-all either. I don't think there is one.

How's this for reversing Coralkong's condescension: the better I get at guitar, the less the quality of the guitar is a factor.

Guitars with a 7.25 neck were really hard to play when I started. I thought I needed a better guitar. A faster, flatter neck. Got 'em, then I got my 52. It's not so hard after all. Something happened...did I improve?

I've learned the problem was me. So, I can BEAR a cheap guitar, because I'm better at putting into it what comes out. The guitar is merely a part of the equation.

You've heard it said before, a pro with the worst tool is better than a beginner with the best.

This SX is a decent guitar. The tuners seem okay to me. The nut needs to be refined. The saddles will be replaced as well as the pickups, perhaps even the tuners. The neck, nice and chunky with decently dressed frets. This guitar is on par with the quality of a Squier Standard. Certainly better than an Affinity...well maybe the pickups are less than a Standard...I'll give you that!

My Duojet had fret sprout from the store! This SX does not.

Cheap guitar, expensive guitar...whatever. I wouldn't suggest Coralkong try another SX now because he knows what he likes. But dude, your comments were utterly worthless and generally a downer on someone else's celebration. Thanks a lot! :mad:

• Members

OMG THAT'S THE MOST BEAUTIFULLEST GUITAR EVER!!!!

and CoralKong is a {censored}ing dickhead for {censored}ting in your NGD thread.

I had to really resist not buying that when it was on special. And the one with a rosewood neck is hot. I almost hit that one immediately.

Don't forget to get an electrosocket.

Nice pics tnks

HNGD!:wave:

edit: I rec the stainless GFS saddles, and Dimarzio switch tips fit. Get em at MF.

• Members

Thanks for the pics! I have been wondering about the CAR ones for a while now because in the pics, they look nothing like candy red. The one pic taken from the bottom, I can see some nice sparkling. I've been really tempted to get the red one with rosewood neck, but I'm trying to wait until he gets some more of the ash ones with relief cuts and rosewood necks. I hate the bound maple ones. The yellow-ish binding really detracts from the rest of the guitar.

Oh yeah, HNGD!

hngd2.jpg

Archived