OT: The Flu

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also recently had a bad case of the flu, but it was a bit unusual in that it never hit me in the head, other than the headaches... which I pretty much have to deal with daily anyway. But no cold type respiratory symptoms - it was all fever, body and joint aches, sweats / chills and headaches, and generally feeling like I was hit by an M1 Abrams tank. And it lasted for nearly two weeks. :freak::(

• Members

I also recently had a bad case of the flu, but it was a bit unusual in that it never hit me in the head, other than the headaches... which I pretty much have to deal with daily anyway. But no cold type respiratory symptoms - it was all fever, body and joint aches, sweats / chills and headaches, and generally feeling like I was hit by an M1 Abrams tank. And it lasted for nearly two weeks.
:freak::(

Uh-oh!! The CIA is spreading flu through SSS!! Connect the dots, people, connect the dots...

• Members

Two weeks for a flu?! Damn Phil... ugh... I mean damn flu Phil. Thats pretty bad, after 3-4 days it usually does the damage and leaves. But 14 days... can`t imagine.

that's because you haven't had the flu - just a serious cold.

I had THE FLU 18 months ago - I was bedridden for 7 days, no energy to do anything other than sweat, sleep and go to the toilet where I evacuated from both ends till I had nothing left. I had the weirdest dreams and hallucinations over that time.

• Members

I also recently had a bad case of the flu, but it was a bit unusual in that it never hit me in the head, other than the headaches... which I pretty much have to deal with daily anyway. But no cold type respiratory symptoms - it was all fever, body and joint aches, sweats / chills and headaches, and generally feeling like I was hit by an M1 Abrams tank. And it lasted for nearly two weeks.
:freak::(

Phil, I think I had a similar one way over here. I mean never coughed or runny nose or anything like that, but had the dizzy dizzies (fever), headache (I never have those) and did need a seatbelt on the toilet for a few days. Mine lasted for over three weeks! :eekphil:

• Members

I've had those types of varieties of flue before also. You just feel like you are incredibly sore and arthritic and it doesn't want to go away. Though, in a way, that's better than the respiratory conflagrations, if you have to pick one evil or another I guess.

My Mom is very involved in the prevention and cure of these things... and she is naturally concerned about this new strain of swine flu. It is coming up into Texas, apparently.

Gus, take a preventive injection if you can!

Given this is a new strain, it seems any existing injection is just futile.

The best we can do is take some stuff to reinforce our defenses and vitamins to handle better if -or when- you got infected.

... but thanks for the advise!

• Members

I had THE FLU 18 months ago - I was bedridden for 7 days, no energy to do anything other than sweat, sleep and go to the toilet where I evacuated from both ends till I had nothing left. I had the weirdest dreams and hallucinations over that time.

Hopefully you wrote some cool tunes during that time! Care to share any?:thu:

• Members

I haven't gotten sick since I was like 9 years old. Dunno why. Even around sick people, never caught anything.

At most, I've either had dehydration or blood sugar episodes over the past 4 years.

Regardless, this still concerns me some.

• Members

or your pandemic flu and u

what's the deal with those H's and N's?

Flu strains are named for the H and N proteins, hemagglutinin and neuraminidase, which stick out from the surface of the virus like spikes. These protein spikes allow influenza to infect and damage cells and are what the immune system recognizes. The hemagglutinin spike allows the virus to bind to and enter cells. After co-opting the cells molecular machinery to produce more viruses, the neuraminidase spike is used to escape the cell, destroying it in the process.

http://www.fas.org/programs/ssp/bio/factsheets/H1N1factsheet.html

The benchmark pandemic flu was perhaps:

The "Spanish" flu pandemic of 1918 and 1919 caused the deaths of 20-50 million people worldwide including up to 675,000 in the U.S. While only about 1% of those infected with the virus died, it became one of the deadliest viruses ever known to man.

low lethality ~ 1% and high rates of infection

NYT April 24

Most of Mexico

Archived