High-end Epiphone vs. Low-end Gibson?

scolfax

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Picked the Low-end Gibson becuase if you want a Gibson buy one and if you want all the emenities of a high End Epi there are some others out there thay not only match the parts but are cheaper.

If you're going to spend $600+ you might as well get a Low-End Gibson if you want to stay in the Gibson family.

• Members

I said Epi for a few reasons:

1. Your asking a question based on appearance. Both are similarly equipped pup's and hardware. That would lead me to believe it's a stage guitar. The Epi will hold up better over time, will play better, and look better under the lights.

2. At that price point it's a no-brainer. You should know that the Epi is going to be a superior instrument when gauging cost v. benefit.

To the guys that flipped the headstocks, the question then becomes moot. Unless the guitars are in the same price range (which we can now assume they aren't) there's no point in discussing this further.

• Members

1. Your asking a question based on appearance. Both are similarly equipped pup's and hardware. That would lead me to believe it's a stage guitar. The Epi will hold up better over time, will play better, and look better under the lights.

2. At that price point it's a no-brainer. You should know that the Epi is going to be a superior instrument when gauging cost v. benefit.

To the guys that flipped the headstocks, the question then becomes moot. Unless the guitars are in the same price range (which we can now assume they aren't) there's no point in discussing this further.

The guitars have similar specs and are in the same price range. What makes Gibson inferior? Seems like the usual Gibson hating bandwagon to me. :eek:

Why is everyone assuming that Epi should be better without playing and comparing these two? It's like saying, when choosing between a Fender and a Squier, that Squier will be always better. This logic seems weird to me. :rolleyes:

• Members

True.. It is not the same topic.

• Members

I need the binding on a burst LP. But I would be hesitant to spend the money on an Epiphone that could buy a Gibson. It's partially bias against the headstock (it does affect my decision somewhat, but it's primarily how it looks not the name) but also the finish. I just prefer nitro and how it wears.

So I didn't vote. But there's my opinion :)

• Members

Gibson.

Cause it doesnt have an ugly headstock.

Cause you have the option of getting an ebony fretboard.

Cause its a Gibson.

Cause its not made in china.

Cause Im a bad person. :wave:

Now if it was an Elitist, Id really have to scrutinize each one. But its not. So i wont. :p

• Members

When I see someone with a cheap gibson, I always think they are dumbasses who just bought for the name.

If I see someone who sucks who has an epi, I assume they didn't know any better and wanted a pretty guitar that someone told them was just as good as a gibson.

If I see someone who is good with an epiphone, i think they are a smart consumer who managed to get a good deal on a guitar that wasn't a turd.

If I see a guy who's good with a gibson, I have no opinion at all.

Sure, I'd take a gibson if someone wanted to give it to me or I found it in a hollow tree. But, I'm a player. I have no need for a gibson anything. I have guitars that get that sound if I want it.

• Members

Can you imagine how many of those 59' RI's they would sell with a Gibbie shaped headstock? It's funny that it would make a difference, but I'm sure it would.

Probably as many guitars as Fender sells with the cheapo 'Fender' models that years ago would have been 'Squire'.

Personally I kind of like the fact that Gibson won't use their name on stuff made outside the USA.

I have said it before, but I wish Fender and Gibson would just make 5 or 6 models a piece, eliminate all the options and raise the prices and just make them nice.

• Members

I'd choose the Gibson. I had the chance to play these a while back a GC and the Gibson had more sustain and just sounded punchier. The Epi actually looked better, with a great fit and finish. The Gibson felt heaver to me, even though it was a studio model. I'm also thinking of the resale value, and the Gibsons keep their value better than the Epiphones. I do have a custom Epiphone Les Paul in black and gold, the Korean made one with the real maple cap, and I love that guitar. I also have a Melody Maker dual pickup model, and the notorious SG Zoot model in natural/black. It's possible that I'm a Gibson snoot, but I also have a lot of cheap import guitars that are absolutely terrific instruments. Since I do a lot of builds and mods, I'm partial to telecasters, as they are about the easiest guitars to work on.

It's possible that the Epiphone might sound better than the Gibson, but I have my doubts about that. However, there is enough difference in any individual instrument that it's possible.

• Members

I have an Elitist, it is a great guitar, I picked over a Gibson Studio only because I liked the neck profile better on the Epi, that is real important to me, otherwise I would have got the Studio hands down, at the time they were the same price, now they don't make the Elitist and soon they will not make the Studio either, so unless your planning to go used there really isn't a comparable Epi to a Gibby IMO

• Members

I'd choose the Gibson. I had the chance to play these a while back a GC and the Gibson had more sustain and just sounded punchier.

Umm how did you play it when the model isn't even out yet? They are still taking pre=orders. Read the OPs post. This isn't a run of the mill Epiphone. Got musiciansfriend and read the specs. I'll wait to past judgment once I can actually hold one in my hand. Personally I've never been too impressed with Studios. The only one I've ever liked is a black 92 model.

Archived