High-end Epiphone vs. Low-end Gibson?

scolfax

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Does anyone know if the bridge and tailpiece are Gibson or lower cost? How about the pots?

I don't like the guitars with veneer tops if I'm spending almost a grand.

What is the finish?

The specs say the bridge is epiphone's Locktone bridge/tailpeice.

Epiphone Has been using Fullsize Alpha pots in all their guitars for the last couple of years.

The top is a veneer, but over a solid maple top. If you don't want the Veneer, look at the tribute model. It has no veneer and just a solid maple cap.

http://epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=1632

The finish is poly like all Epis

• Members

The specs say the bridge is epiphone's Locktone bridge/tailpeice.

Epiphone Has been using Fullsize Alpha pots in all their guitars for the last couple of years.

The top is a veneer, but over a solid maple top. If you don't want the Veneer, look at the tribute model. It has no veneer and just a solid maple cap.

The finish is poly like all Epis

Since no veneer seems better than any of it... What would be the difference between the Tribute and the Studio?

I can't say anything about them myself, that's why I ask.

P.S.

I still think that people here are biased towards Epiphone, comes from both a trend of bashing Gibson and a trend of loving cheap guitars.

• Members

I have an Elitist, it is a great guitar, I picked over a Gibson Studio only because I liked the neck profile better on the Epi, that is real important to me, otherwise I would have got the Studio hands down, at the time they were the same price, now they don't make the Elitist and soon they will not make the Studio either, so unless your planning to go used there really isn't a comparable Epi to a Gibby IMO

oops! I thought that Epi was an Elitist! Didn't know I could click on the picture, that's hi-tech man. This is one of their new models, I'd like to try it out just to compare to my Elitist. If Fender can sell Mexican Strats for a grand I don't see why Epi can not do the same thing, It's time for Epi to reclaim it's glory! I think the message is clear - guitar's are just getting more expensive (while wages are level or falling) and USA stuff in general will be out of reach for most people in a few years

• Members

Since no veneer seems better than any of it... What would be the difference between the Tribute and the Studio?

I can't say anything about them myself, that's why I ask.

P.S.

I still think that people here are biased towards Epiphone, comes from both a trend of bashing Gibson and a trend of loving cheap guitars.

Long neck tennon compared to the short in the studio. Solid body compared to the Chambered in the studio. Binding and "Nicer Finish".

I'm not biased towards Epiphone, I just think often Higher end "Lesser brands" are usually better deals than low end "Quality brands". In my experience with strats atleast that is true. My Squier Classic Vibe is a lot better than most Mexi standards. I had a Classic Player's 60 that I traded my American Standard for..

• Members

if you're talking about playability and tone and not considering the stigma attached with Gibson vs Epiphone, I might go Epiphone. I say that because I have compared many of the Gibsons and Epiphones and I don't really care for the low end Gibsons very much. I have an Epiphone LP Ultra II that plays and sounds like most Gibsons I've picked up and better than some. Now if you were comparing a middle - high end Gibson vs Epiphone I'd go Gibson. I'm basing this on years of experience on playing both. It's difficult to choose between being a Strat man or Gibby man. Both definitely have their good points...

• Members

Long neck tennon compared to the short in the studio. Solid body compared to the Chambered in the studio. Binding and "Nicer Finish".

I'm not biased towards Epiphone, I just think often Higher end "Lesser brands" are usually better deals than low end "Quality brands". In my experience with strats atleast that is true. My Squier Classic Vibe is a lot better than most Mexi standards. I had a Classic Player's 60 that I traded my American Standard for..

What about pickups, are they worth keeping or not?

I was not about you, but about some people on the first page which were absolutely sure that Gibson will be worse sounding... Without trying it. :facepalm:

• Members

Well, if we're responding just to a picture, then the Epiphone.

But in general? I'd take the Epi also, as they're just as good as Gibsons--or if not, then they're a better value. Meaning they play better than the price difference would indicate.

Unless you're concerned with the brand and not the playability. Then a Gibson makes more sense--especially if you plan to sell it over the Internet.

• Members

What about pickups, are they worth keeping or not?

I was not about you, but about some people on the first page which were absolutely sure that Gibson will be worse sounding... Without trying it.
:facepalm:

It says on the epiphone site that Tribute is supposed to come with Gibson 57 classics.

• Members

I would buy the Gibson and put Epiphone pickups, hardware and electronics in it.

Everyone knows everything Epiphone makes is better then what Gibson makes.

First thing I would do is pull out the Burstbuckers and put some Asian pickups in it and rewire it using Chinese wire.

• Members

Hmmm...well, the Epi looked just like the one in the picture, so dang me if the thread is about a different model Epiphone that is only on pre-order.

Click on the picture in the original post, it takes you to the product page.

These Epis have long neck tenons, better switches, etc...

I thought that headstock swap was a great experiment. It flipped my perspective a bit. Of course, that assumes everything else is equal.

Aside from which is a better player, or the better value for a moment - the way things are in the US economy, I can certainly see the argument for purchasing guitars made locally.

• Members

since i own both Gibson LP studio and Epi LP goldtop p90, i gotta say the Epi is better bang for the buck, and those who say gibson for resale value alone, i disagree...i got my Epi for $449 with HSC, and i dont see it falling below that

• Members

if you're talking about playability and tone and not considering the stigma attached with Gibson vs Epiphone, I might go Epiphone. I say that because I have compared many of the Gibsons and Epiphones and I don't really care for the low end Gibsons very much.
I have an Epiphone LP Ultra II that plays and sounds like most Gibsons I've picked up and better than some.
Now if you were comparing a middle - high end Gibson vs Epiphone I'd go Gibson. I'm basing this on years of experience on playing both. It's difficult to choose between being a Strat man or Gibby man. Both definitely have their good points...

I completely agree on the Epi Ultra. Truly an excellent, versatile guitar. A true sleeper in my opinion. :thu:

• Members

I'm not biased towards Epiphone, I just think often Higher end "Lesser brands" are usually better deals than low end "Quality brands". In my experience with strats atleast that is true. My Squier Classic Vibe is a lot better than most Mexi standards.
I had a Classic Player's 60 that I traded my American Standard for.

I love everything about my faded sonic CP 60's. What a great guitar.

• Members

I completely agree on the Epi Ultra. Truly an excellent, versatile guitar. A true sleeper in my opinion.
:thu:

I have a 1st gen Epi Ultra and I love it. Its an inexpensive guitar, but it feels great and playing it is fun.

Im having a LP style built for me... I hope it plays as well as it will look!

l_25aeede8d3a849a090eabef4a6f73822.jpg

Archived