High-end Epiphone vs. Low-end Gibson?

scolfax

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As always, the Gibson looks better... I always liked the Studio versions design - more stylish and less generic. Other than that, cannot tell from the picture.

P.S.

Studio Gibsons are the middle-end, Epiphone is their actual low-end: if you insist on using these marketing gimmicks, that is.

P.P.S.

So you are basically picking between a middle-end Epi (AFAIK, the Elitist series was labeled as their high-end) and a middle-end Gib.

• Members

I'd play both of them and do some research. A more expensive epiphone sometimes is better than a cheaper gibson. If you can find an epi elitist les paul, I've heard nothing but good things about them and that would be a good deal.

• Members

Of those two - Gibson. The Gibson Studio prices have come down. If I bought an Epi LP again, it would be a model in the middle (Standard).

- w

As is often the case, prices come down and it is now a more attractive buy, but let's not forget that prices came up before they went down.

I remember being very tempted by a very nice Studio Plus for $750, brand new. I don't recall if it came with a case or a gig bag. I think it was a gig bag back then. I think the color was wine, and it had a nice flame top although the flame was not too pronounced or 3D. A few months later I think that they were well over $1000. Probably $1200-$1300 IIRC, so even with price-drops and sales their prices had increased noticeably.

That's one Gibson I wish I had purchased.

Archived