FA P90s vs. GFS 90s VS real 90s

analorgy

• Members
You guys are being too literal. Spaceballs.
:p

The Mean 90 uses the right wire and number of turns, but its on a single humbucker bobbin, which is more the size of a strat single coil. So it sounds really good, but is not a "real" P90.

I like mine a lot.
:thu:

From what I've been told, that describes a Dream 90. I thought the Meanie was wound on a truer fat bobbin, making it more the size of an actual P90. I thought Jay even described them as such. No?

• Members

From what I've been told, that describes a Dream 90. I thought the Meanie was wound on a truer fat bobbin, making it more the size of an actual P90. I thought Jay even described them as such. No?

my impression is that the only difference between the Dream and Mean is the number of turns. they're built exactly the same way.

• Members

my impression is that the only difference between the Dream and Mean is the number of turns. they're built exactly the same way.

Here's the description.

How do they differ from the Dreams?? We've gone to a different Magnet structure, different coil size, added an expensive German Silver baseplate, and completely revamped to output level. We slightly "age" Alnico V magnets, and wrap the coils with Formvar 42 gauge wire.

• Members

Here's the description.

How do they differ from the Dreams?? We've gone to a different Magnet structure, different coil size, added an expensive German Silver baseplate, and completely revamped to output level. We slightly "age" Alnico V magnets, and wrap the coils with Formvar 42 gauge wire.

i'd really like to see what they look like without the covers. that's probably the only way to put any debate to rest.

• Members
i'd really like to see what they look like without the covers. that's probably the only way to put any debate to rest.

As would I. When they first came out, that seemed to be the big selling feature with them "the fat bobbin/coil. But I've never actually seen it. I've also heard that the Kent Armstrongs are made using a regular skinny bobbin as well.

• Members

If GFS are the shizznizzle, why no love in the poll above? Which brand is getting the P-90 love? (I've got a Phat Cat thats pretty good, but I'm sure someone will tell me it isn't a "real" P-90, just like they said my tele wasn't "real" because I swapped the lipstick pup out for a humbucker, even though they also told me it wasn't a "real" lipstick pup).

lol

BTW: great use of "Arrested Development" above. Probably the greatest comedy ever to hit the tube.

• Members
If GFS are the shizznizzle, why no love in the poll above? Which brand is getting the P-90 love? (I've got a Phat Cat thats pretty good, but I'm sure someone will tell me it isn't a "real" P-90, just like they said my tele wasn't "real" because I swapped the lipstick pup out for a humbucker, even though they also told me it wasn't a "real" lipstick pup).

lol

BTW: great use of "Arrested Development" above. Probably the greatest comedy ever to hit the tube.

Regardless of the Phat being/not being a real P90, I just don't like it. I'm not a fan of Seymour's regular P90s either. I really like P94s and Lindy's HB-sized P90. Bryan gets nothing but glowing compliments on his HB sized BG models as well.

• Members

I've used a pair of Mean 90s in a guitar (strung with 10s) and they sounded good but not incredible.

However when I put the Mean 90 bridge pickup in a lap steel (strung w/ 13s) it was unreal, in a good way. You could get a sunburn playing that thing. That pickup looks great in a chrome ring too.

ls2.jpg

Archived