Do you watch items on Ebay with zero intent to purchase?

Salsage

• Members

I had a guitar listed and I answered 11 questions from different Ebayers and had 61 watchers.

The auction ended early Tues afternoon with zero bids:eek:

Why would so many "WATCH" this auction with no intent whatsoever to buy it

Since the auction ended, I've received 2 emails asking if I still want to sell.:confused:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Must be fairly common, but I don't think I've ever 'watched' anything on eBay.

I have had several auctions that had 40-60 'watchers' and no bids. Then I'd relist the same thing for $50 less the next week and it would sell for $200 more than the minimum bid was the previous week. All about the timing I guess...

• Members

i watch items all the time without real intent to buy. sometimes, i want to see what something i already own sells for, and how quickly it climbs in the last few hours (for example). Other times, I'm marginally interested or beginning to take an interest in a brand/style and want to see what it goes for so i can gauge my target price range in the future.

• Members

i watch items all the time without real intent to buy. sometimes, i want to see what something i already own sells for, and how quickly it climbs in the last few hours (for example). Other times, I'm marginally interested or beginning to take an interest in a brand/style and want to see what it goes for so i can gauge my target price range in the future.

Couldn't have said it better myself -- exactly. I'm watching 3 things right now and I have no money. All of these are to get my head around price for future purchases.

• Members

I'll watch things just to keep track of something that is interesting while I do a massive e-Bay search. Then I'll go back and narrow things down to what I want out of that batch of items. Sometimes I'll be watching a few items just to mull it over and don't ever bid.

• Members

This plus ten. I can usually beat the price of Ebay items. Especially when new stuff is involved. But it gives me an idea what I should pay.

• Members

No. I only watch the item if I am in the market for it.

Thats the way I've always been. If I'm watching an item theres at least a remote chance I would buy it.

BTW I received another email since I started this post.

He wants to trade.:facepalm:

• Members

Yep, this is me too. A good way to gauge the market if you're not sure about what the price SHOULD be. Does it seem to anyone else that used LP's are going for equal or MORE than new? And I'm not talking collectors items, just regular, garden variety ones ...

• Members

I watch a ton of things. Sometimes if something has zero bids and it's still cheap I'll place a low bid in the last few seconds in case I can get it for an outrageously low price. I've got some killer deals that way.

Of course, I hate it when people do that to me when I'm selling. :facepalm:

• Members

i watch a bunch of things for various reasons. at the least curiousity. at the most serious, when i have some extra cash and kinda narrowing down things i'm interested in, but can't buy all of them. or have a list of things and only so much cash, so i'm bidding and sort of tallying won/lost auctions to see what i have left for a later closing auction.

if i start sending questions to the seller though, i'm probaly gonna throw at least a low bid in.

• Members

Yep, me too.

Archived