Do you watch items on Ebay with zero intent to purchase?

Salsage

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm always watching tons of stuff (rarely does my list drop under 100 items) - but I'm always watching with full intent to buy. The second that it crosses my threshold of a good deal it drops off the list, though - and these days, not much makes it to bidding stage.

Honestly, most of the best deals are "Buy-It-Now's" that you catch right after they're listed - my last 2 Ebay guitars were both this kind of deal.

• Members

It's called "Market Research" kids.

You watch the markets youre interested in, note the trends and then make you buying and selling decisions based on the acumulated data.

This x 100.

I'll watch gear and track trends for weeks, even months, before bidding seriously. I even track stuff I know I won't buy this year or probably even next year. I almost never buy on impulse, especially on eBay. Too easy to get burned.

• Members

If I know what I am willing to pay for something I will watch it (and if I remember I am watching it :rolleyes:) will catch the end of the auction. If it is at or below my price I'll bid. Win some and lose some, always willing to let one go if it gets above my price. :wave:

And sometimes I watch just because I'm curious, with no intent to buy. :idk:

• Members

Watching an item or asking a question about it is not a commitment to buy. The high bid at closing is the commitment to buy. You shouldn't assume that your watchers are all lined up to buy your guitar, or be offended if nobody does. It's not like they've been hanging around your music store every day playing the same Puddle of Mudd riff on it over and over.

I once watched a PRS through three relistings. It was just a bit more than I wanted to pay, but I tracked it on the off chance Bing would run one of their 15% cashback BIN deals. Bing stayed at 8%, but the third time he listed it for $200 less, and so it was mine.:)

• Members

Yes. For many of the reasons described above.

Moaning sellers who are frustrated at large numbers of watchers with no bids just need to understand that this is the way that online auctions work. Same for questions with no bids. If you want to sell something, be prepared to answer questions.

• Members

"I like to watch."

Peter Sellers -
Being There

You know, that quote was the first thing that came to my mind and though I thought it was from Being There, I wasn't positive.

I read the book by Jerzy Kozinski (I think I spelled his name correctly) many years ago, well before the movie came out. Great book and excellent movie, by the way.

Concerning ebay...I watch many, many things...and buy many things...over 300 to date. But only at the right price.

• Members

Moaning sellers who are frustrated at large numbers of watchers with no bids just need to understand that this is the way that online auctions work. Same for questions with no bids. If you want to sell something, be prepared to answer questions.

If a seller doesn't respond to my question/s, I generally nix my interest. If you can't get a response before bidding, how much assistance do you think you'll get after you win something and have a problem with it?

"If you want to sell something, be prepared to answer questions."

As Link of Mod Squad was fond of saying years ago: "Right On."

• Members

Hell I bid on items with no intent to buy!

This is how we used to do a 'watch list' in the old days of eBay.

Place a low bid on an item you want to watch, have a page bookmarked with items you've bid on, and that was your 'watch list'. And every now and then you'd accidentally win something for a very low price...

I still haven't seen an answer to my earlier question to the 'researchers' that 'watch'. Why not just do a search on completed items that you're interested in? Seems like that would be easier than watching a bunch of stuff. No big deal either way, I was just curious as to why you'd do one over the other...

• Members

I still haven't seen an answer to my earlier question to the 'researchers' that 'watch'. Why not just do a search on completed items that you're interested in? Seems like that would be easier than watching a bunch of stuff. No big deal either way, I was just curious as to why you'd do one over the other...

I frequently want to see the ending price. Having to remember which items I was tracking and searching all the time would be rather tiresome.

• Members
i watch items all the time without real intent to buy. sometimes, i want to see what something i already own sells for, and how quickly it climbs in the last few hours (for example). Other times, I'm marginally interested or beginning to take an interest in a brand/style and want to see what it goes for so i can gauge my target price range in the future.

:thu::thu:

• Members

If I watch something and then don't bid its usually because the price got way out of hand. Its odd that 61 people watched and 11 questions were asked and no one even bid. Methinks your reserve was too high.

Or perhaps there was a better alternative product with a later finishing time.

• Members

I do both. The reason why: Ebay only lets you search completed listings from the last few weeks, so if what you're on the lookout for is rare, you might get none or only a couple of items in a completed item search. On the other hand, if you "watch" certain items as they crop up, you can keep track of more items over as long a period a time as you wish.

Archived