Tom Petty: rock god or mere mortal?

acousticDave

• Members

From today's wall street journal:

Where does Tom Petty fit in the rock pantheon? Musicians from Ike Turner to Aerosmith have been the subject of such debate, which rock fans conduct as if they're carving Mount Rushmores, in barroom arguments, Internet flame wars and even a Hall of Fame in Cleveland. But Mr. Petty is especially emblematic of the blurred

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

{censored}ing awesome songwriter.

Agreed.

I saw him shopping in Chicago Music Exchange. I did not bother him, but what I saw of his interaction with others, he seemed to be very down to Earth. I wasn't impressed with his playing. It was fine, but his writing skills make up for it 100 fold.

• Members

{censored}ing awesome songwriter.

this. not a good singer. not a good player. not a lot of rhythm. his POETRY is ungodly. one of the few poets in Rock & Roll history. i put him on a pedestal for that right next the Neil Young and Bob Dylan ... slightly lower, but there.

• Members

I consider him a mere mortal but he seems like a really good guy and fit in nicely with the Traveling Wilburys.

If you ever listen to his Buried Treasures show on XM Sirius he seems very down to earth and a cool dude.

• Members

Rock God? I think he'd probably be embarassed by such an accolade. He's a great song writer and his songs have been woven into the fabric of American music for the last 30 years. Many hits and an early darling of the rock video phenomenon.

The documentary "Runnin' Down A Dream" is really terrific (but very long- 4 hours!). Though I like his music well enough I'm not a rabid fan, but this documentary was very interesting to me. I'd recomend it to anyone interested in a real life rock-and-roll story.

• Members

While there are others who can play more notes and faster runs, it takes taste and ability with melodies to play fewer notes and make music.

Tom Petty and Mike Campbell do this effortlessly.

While watching flashier players is fun, it's usually the melodic players that get me emotionally. Jeff Beck comes to mind.

• Members

Who honestly cares about being called a "rock god"? Well, maybe some wannabes, but the guys like Petty could probably care less about a title like that. I'm actually listening to him right now. Just writes great music, has a style all his own, and is an amazing live performer. I'd take 1000 artists like Petty anyday over 1 "rock god."

Funny that Slash is in that "Rock God" category, but hasn't been in a really good band in years. Great guitarist...but without G'NR...he's just not the same, IMO. He now pushes video games and monster cables...

I'm just sayin'...:idk:

• Members

Once upon a time, I might have agreed with you...but Petty has 32 years of hits. You don't realize how many he's had until you look at his albums.

I was listening to Playback last week. Each time a tune came on, it was ""Oh, yeah! All right!" :idea:

• Members

The whole deifying of '60's rock stars and bands was something that started in the late '80's, with the emergence of the classic rock radio format, some sort of Baby Boomer worship out of nostalgia. Thus developed the "legacy act" phenomenon, bands that make more money when they're greatest creative period has long since been over.

I think a lot of acts that emerged in the '70's and had their biggest mainstream success in the late '70's through late '80's won't ever capture enough of that Baby Boomer nostalgia to made "rock god" status.

• Members

I love the guy, one of my favorites. He keeps going back to the same well, but always comes back with something that sounds fresh, to me anyway. That spinning songs out of nothing comment was right on the money.

I don't know if he's on the same level as say, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, but I'd put him ahead of Bob Seger and Johnny Cougar. My own opinion of course.

• Members

He's undeniably a terrific song writer. He's also a pretty decent guitar player when he feels like it. I've seen him live maybe half a dozen times in the last thirty odd years. For half of those shows he was on fire and the other half he just phoned it in. He certainly didn't suck, but "meh"... I would have to say he's better playing new material than recycling his hits and let's face it, he's had a ton of hits.

So is he a rock god? Not really, but then who is?

Archived