your first "good" guitar

Help!I'maRock!

• Members

1985 Kramer pacer I bought used with a pv practice amp for 300. All my gear was later stolen:cry:...So now ...
Fender Heartfield Talon 4 bought new in 1992 to replace my stolen Kramer pacer.

I still miss my original pacer:cry::evil:

My new one helps the pain but my original was a hockey-stick headstock with a transparent forest green finish. I miss it so.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I started on a cheapo "MI?" strat copy made under the brand name "Lazer". In hindsight, it had a decent neck on it, before I learned to scallop fretboards anyway... :laugh: Got that in 1987-88. In 1991ish, I got a black Charvel Model 2 with a single locking Kahler bridge. It was a substantial step up in awesomeness.. Paid $400 for it, sold it for $200 a few years later. Which I still had both of em =(

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Mine was a Peavey Tracer. It was black with a 6-screw trem and a single humbucker. That was followed 6 months later by a trade-up for a Peavey Tracer Custom with a Kahler Spyder trem. That guitar went through 4 paint jobs, 3 sets of pickups and 2 original Floyd Rose trems before it was off'd. About 3 years after getting the Tracer I bought a Yamaha RGZ with a weird trem and pickups that could be used either active or passive. By the end of that year I sold it and owned 2 Ibanez RG550s.

• Members

My first good bass - Washburn Grover Jackson, got it in a pawn shop in Jan. '99. And my first good electric - 1982 Gibson LP XR-1, my Dad gave it to me in '03 or '04 because he got super into acoustics and wasn't playing it anymore. That's all I played until I finally got a good job out of college last year and started experimenting with different guitars. It's not my favorite anymore but I still play it at least once a week.

100_0091.jpg

• Members

My first guitar was a POS acoustic that someone gave to me. From what I understand, it was sold through late-night infomercials that promised you could learn to play guitar by putting little coloured stickers on the fretboard.

My first good guitar is an Epi LP. I went into the shop expecting to go home with an HSS strat of some sort, but the LP was the one that spoke to me. It just felt right. I know it's not a top-shelf brand, but it plays great.

• Members

Not yet :lol:

The first guitar I picked up with the intention of learning to play was a kid size Spanish guitar that my sister had. Cheese cutter, looked like it went through a {censored}ty neck repair.

The first guitar I actually truly owned myself was a 1935-1940 Harmony Vogue model B that I found at my local dump. Beautiful piece of work - black with a small tobacco burst, 14-fret 000 shape, absolutely stunning. However, it has bridge belly and a bent neck joint, resulting in... yes... cheese cutter. Still great though, and I learned on it. I'm taking it to Hugh Manson's store in February to see what needs doing, and maybe get a price quote on repair.

First electric... a {censored}ty Silvertone Citation starter pack thing. Again, I loved it, but it wasn't the best. After a while the tremolo arm got serious play, and eventually I sold it as parts after a few botched mods. Now, I have a {censored}ty eBay partscaster with no finish. Just a quick job, as I was so desperate for an electric again.

But, it's all about to change. As a christmas present from the parents, I'm getting a fully loaded Strat body that was won off eBay - single-ply '57 spec pickguard, very light Sonic Blue, totally fifties. I'm planning to top it all off with a one-piece maple neck from AxesRUs, with vintage hardware and some other bits and bobs. So that should be my first truly decent guitar :thu:

• Members

My first guitar was a cheap little acoustic, but my first electric was this Quest neck-thru solidbody

8.JPG

Kind of an odd guitar, it was made by some little company somewhere in Quebec in the '80s. My brother picked it up really cheap when he was in high school, and it had to go through some major repairs, but eventually it got passed down to me when my brother gave up guitar. Maybe wasn't my first good guitar though, since it still has a pretty crappy bridge and pretty terrible sounding pickups, and is still needing old parts replaced... but a lot more interesting than most kids' first guitars.

• Members

My first 'decent' guitar was an Ibanez Roadstar II when they first came out with the pointy headstock. Black with a black pickguard, two humbuckers. I loved that guitar, and cannot remember now what happened to it. One of my favorite guitars later was a Roadstar II with the rounded headstock. Can't remember what happened to that one either...

• Members

first guitar: started playing in '02 with a cheapo acoustic that didn't have a truss rod and the action was so high that it was impossible to do barre chords, so I learned the first position chords until I got a peavey strat copy.

first good guitar: 94 anniversary MIA strat in '03. put a JB Jr in the bridge and repainted it black. It sounds just OK, but I still haven't found a neck that fits my hands a good. I need to make money and get a #2 or new #1 as I've nearly worn the frets down to nothing on this one.