your first "good" guitar

Help!I'maRock!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I started on a crappy dreadnought from the big music store in my region. Then got an Epiphone Les Paul Special II..

First real guitar would be my 1983 Washburn HB35. It is equipped with a pair of 57 Classics and sounds gorgeous. Its plainly awesome and right now I cant imagine, why I would ever replace it. It is untouched by the GAS happening around her ;-)
I have never player a real Gibson ES, but honestly, I cannot imagine that it could be really much better.

washi.jpg

• Members
if your guitar playing experience was anything like mine, it went something like this:

bug your parents to buy you a guitar. they get you some cheap POS and say "i'll get you a proper one when you can play something".

i started playing on a 70s strat copy with a 3 barrel bridge in the summer of '91. after 2 years, i got my '93 MIJ Ibanez RG. its been heavily modified and beat the crap out of during the past 16 years, but sounds and plays great.

My story follows the same lines and ends up with a very similar guitar too :lol:

It does depend on how you define "good". After my first (bought by parents from Woolworth) unplayable monstrosity I bought a half-decent old Yamaha (1967 SG) which served me well for years, but my first really top-notch guitar was and is my Ibanez RG2550. I'd gone into the shop with a view to buying a Gibson Les Paul or possibly a PRS but I came out with the Ibanez. I wouldn't have bought a black one given the choice - but it was clearance stock and cost me around half the MSRP. It was quite simply the nicest guitar in the shop in terms of both sound and playability.

• Members

started off with a crappy squire (green). I didn't know anything other than Nirvana songs. Over time, I managed t own some horrible guitars putting my money towards studi gear so i've owned a carlo robelli, a few acoustics and a warlck. Now I happily own an Ibanez RG1570 and an American Strat. The 1570 has been heavily toured with and beaten to hell, but the strat is beautiful and in perfect condition. Regardless of cosmetics, both are amazing guitars

• Members

I learned to play on a beat up Magnum with one single coil pickup. I don't know if it counts as a "good guitar" but my Dad bought me an Ibanez RG270 with HSH pups, a 5-way switch and the rip-off Floyd Rose bridge after I'd been playing for about a year.

It was my first guitar that wasn't a complete POS.