your first "good" guitar

Help!I'maRock!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I had been playing guitar for 8 or 9 years when I got my strat. It was my 6th guitar.

I had a lotus less paul (not a typo. that thing was lacking)
A peavey t-60 (which I still have and like, but few consider it "good")
A Saga strat (still have. I just ordered some tuners and am putting it back together)
A kramer Focus (which was OK with an OFR. Just a gimmick thing)
A late 70s tele deluxe (or custom. The keith richards guitar. Worst piece of {censored} ever. Sold it to bill crook in like 1990 for $175. He unloaded it on someone else for the same price because it was so {censored}ty)
Then a '62 RI strat from '87 or '88 that I think I got for $600 new.

I still buy junky guitars and love them. I spent $750 and bought an epi es-295 a few years ago, which I really like. But that doesn't count as a "good" guitar really.

I have another t-60 that I bought from samash for $100 with case. It had a bad bridge pickup so I put retrotrons in it. that thing is a really nice guitar, i think. Just not a "good" one.

I guess the rambling point is: Don't get so caught up in "good" guitars. I like the way the {censored}ty ones make me play. If I had some really nice pieces, then I might come to rely on them. And then I'd never be able to have a sweet afternoon beating the {censored} out of that squier strat that I paid $76 for. :thu:

• Members
So the other guitar player let me use the guitar he inherited from his father: A 1955 Fender Stratocaster. ALL ORIGINAL, down to the case. I used that guitar for a year and we complained up and down about it because it wasn't "metal enough."

Youth is wasted on the retarded.

Ha, nice! But you were right. It wasn't "metal enough".

• Members

I got a Teisco hand-me-down something funky with the slider pickup selectors when I was probably 8. It only had 2 strings for about a year and I got a full set when I was 9. When I was about 10 and a half, I got a Squier or a Fender strat without a pickguard that was creamy white and a black headstock. I always thought it was a Squier, but I've never seen a pic of that guitar with a Squier logo, but I've seen a few with a Fender logo.

Then when I was 13, I got a Kramer Beretta and a full setup.

Looking back the Fender/Squier was probably a fine guitar, but we didn't get a set up and of course, I was totally clueless about such things.

• Members
Get a load of this:
When I was 15 years old, I joined my first band. I had a hunk-of-crap Hondo Flying V that had as many dead frets as good ones.

So the other guitar player let me use the guitar he inherited from his father: A 1955 Fender Stratocaster. ALL ORIGINAL, down to the case. I used that guitar for a year and we complained up and down about it because it wasn't "metal enough."

Youth is wasted on the retarded.

Ha -- that's about the mirror image of me with the '63 Jag and the Hondo Rhoads. The Jag was definitely not metal enough.

The Hondo actually played pretty good in stock condition, but I messed up the action pretty badly when I installed a Kahler "Flyer" whammy on it. Thought I'd done everything right -- drilled the holes for the little trem post studs so they sat exactly flush with the guitar's top when I installed them, but the action came out way too high, even with the two height adjustment posts screwed all the way down flush against the studs. That screwup was one big contributing factor to my shortly-thereafter 14-year hiatus from playing. But I was later able to finally adjust it to just-about playable condition so I could eBay the guitar a couple years ago ("Needs a setup.").

• Members

I bought a '97 CIJ Jazzmaster and a '97 American Standard Tele within a year of breaking up with someone I'd been with for 5 or 6 years. I didn't have to think about buying furniture anymore, so I ended up spending money on the guitars I wanted.

Still have both and play them every day. My first "real" guitars and I hit a home run with both (both are still stock - except for the pickguard on the JM and are my favorite things ever - 20 other guitars down the road).

Yeah.

• Members

Amazingly, my first good guitar would have made me rich if i had kept it and sold it for its vintage market value later. This Gibson SG custom was already "old" when I bought it in the early 70's. I was about 17 years old. I paid something like $500 CAN and sold it for as cheap a couple of years later because... i didn't like the neck. :facepalm:

SGcustom0001.jpg

• Members
Amazingly, my first good guitar would have made me rich if i had kept it and sold it for its vintage market value later. This Gibson SG custom was already "old" when I bought it in the early 70's. I was about 17 years old. I paid something like $500 CAN and sold it for as cheap a couple of years later because... i didn't like the neck.
:facepalm:

SGcustom0001.jpg

*strangles*

• Members

After taking lessons for 6 months, on a Sears Silvertone archtop acoustic, that had about a 1/2 inch action, my Dad bought me a slightly used '63 Gretsch 6119 "Tennessean" and a Univox amp. I was so inspired, that within a year I was asked to join a well known local band. We gigged every weekend for 4 years at least twice a week. I still have the guitar.

• Members

This was my second guitar and my first good guitar, actually very good. It's an Ibanez RS 450. I purchased from Sam Ash In NYC in either November or December of 1986 during a blow-out sale IIRC I paid about 250 bucks for it.

It's had a few pickup swaps over the years & a couple of other mods. A few years ago I replaced the neck with a neck from a later model RS 440 mainly for cosmetic reasons. I really disliked the earlier Roadstar headstocks.

IMG_0176.jpg

• Members

i was an adult (more or less) when i started. first on an acoustic my father had gotten from somewhere, that folded up when i put all six strings on it and tried to tune it up, then a cheap sears electric from the catalog.

i was looking at a book on electric guitars and saw an ovation breadwinner. i just liked it and a year or so later found one. still have it.

Picture050.jpg