your first "good" guitar

Help!I'maRock!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Was also my first -- a '63 Fender Jaguar, which I found in the attic and appropriated from my father, who'd put it up in storage many years before and wasn't using it.

I didn't appreciate it so much at the time, though: it was (and still is) heavily reliced (naturally), and the pickups were not so great for the hard rock and metal that I was mostly into at the time. I went the opposite path of many here by "upgrading" at age 16 to a plywood-bodied Hondo II Rhoads copy, which I bought with my paper route/lawnmowing money.

Glad I didn't sell the Jag to buy it -- it's a good thing I still considered it my father's guitar at the time (and have all along, even though he recently told me he'd pretty much given it to me when I appropriated it).

• Members

Depends...not sure what would qualify as a "good" guitar. Take a look at the guitars listed in my sig and tell me if any of those qualify and I'll tell you when I got it.

That said, I do have a Takamine santa fe nylon string acoustic that I paid 1200.00 for. It's my most expensive guitar and definitely qualifies as a "real" or "good" guitar. I've had it about 15 years.

• Members

I had a couple of cheapie junkers to begin with, then a Peavey T-60, then a '73 Telecaster.

Of all the gear I've bought, traded and sold, that Tele is one of only two instruments I regret parting with. Best neck I ever felt on an electric guitar. It played and sounded better than a '65 Tele I also had. :(

• Members

Martin D-16RGT (I'm really an acoustic player at heart, have 6 acoustics...I only own 1 electric and 1 amp)

or

Martin DX-1...I think it's a 'good' guitar, but I know many who think otherwise (due to body material construction). I got the DX-1 about 2 years before the D-16RGT.

• Members

My first was the squier affinity strat pack I got for Christmas in 7th grade after much begging to the parent.

After 2 years, they chipped in to help me buy an ibanez rg3120 prestige. In hindsight, very much the wrong guitar for the player I ended up being. And it didn't hold value very well, sold it for about half of what I bought it for. Used the proceeds to help buy my 535, much better guitar across the board.