• Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The first two are easy:

Beatles

Neil Young

After that I'm torn between going with:

John Gorka

or giving the nod to the dozens of people I've listened to at campfires or in bars playing acoustic versions of non-acoustic songs to try to please a crowd.

(although it's distinctly possible that I should give it to Malcolm Young.)

• Members

I didn't start playing until I was 17, and the more I played, the more my tastes changed.

Then--

1. The Edge

2. Johnny Marr

3. Jimmy Page

Now--

1. Buddy Guy

2. Brad Paisley

3. Dwayne Allman

I can relate to that. I got my first guitar in the 5th grade for my 11th or 12th birthday, but didn't really get serious until junior year of high school or so. Back then my top 3 were...

Vai

Satch

BTBAM

• Members

Who would I LIKE them to be?

1.) Alex Lifeson

2.) Pete Townshend

3.) Mark Knopfler

I wouldn't say I 'channel' these guys at all yet. I'm nowhere near good enough. I'd like to think my niche is forming itself - I'd like to have hints of J. Mascis in there too, now that I think about it. And Joe Bonamassa. And Warren Hayes and and and etc etc.

But I'll come back in 5 years and see if I've held myself to these. Had you asked me a couple years ago, I would've said SRV, Clapton, Robert Cray, all that - but to be honest, blues is starting to annoy me, with some exceptions.

• Members

I can't believe only one person has said Gilmour. I really love Gilmour.

Gilmour and Knopfler are my favorite guitarists, and I'm sure on some deep level, they've greatly influenced me, but I've never aspired to sound like them or play like them other than just playing along with their stuff.

Same thing with Malmsteen's first album. Blew me away, but I never envisioned myself playing at all like him even though I was deeply immersed in classical and baroque music for a number of years.

By Pink Floyd/Gilmour is, without a doubt and without hesitation, my desert island artist(s).

Archived