Your top 3 musical influences...

Symmetry2170

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

1. Stevie Ray Vaughan - I don't think I sound or play like him, but before I discovered SRV I was all metal/hard rock all the time. He totally opened my ears to blues, jazz, even country to some extent. I started liking and appreciating music that didn't have Marshall stacks... ;) After I got into SRV my musical world really opened up, and of course I learned a lot about blues from him. For that he's my #1 influence. His quitting drugs & alcohol was also motivational for me quitting smoking years ago.

2. Carlos Santana - Early Santana still influences my phrasing and melodic choices. I love that bluesy/jazzy blend and it's definitely evident in my playing. Huge influence on my guitar playing.

3. Dickey Betts/Duanne Allman - I was in an Allman Brother-style blues/jam band for several years, and I learned a lot about how to improvise from from those two guys. Kind of cheating to pick two, but I always think of them together. If I had to pick one I'd say I'm closer to Dickey Betts musically. Perfect blend of blues, country, jazz... I like how they mixed so much together. I love Warren & Derek, but Dickey & Duanne are much bigger influences on me.

• Members

Hrmm... there was a time when I would have said Randy Rhoads, Rudolph Schenker and probably Andy Summers but these days, I'd say only distanly Any Summers.

Probably The Edge, Porl Thompson/Robert Smith and... uh... Bob Bogle.

And a side of Mike Campbell and Mike Wanchic with a splash of James Hetfield.

• Members

1. John Mclaughlin of Mahavishnu Orch.

2. Chriss Squire of Yes (1970's, not the more recent stuff).

3. The band Hawkwind (1970's stuff) while Lemmy K (Later formed moterhead) was playing bass with them.

4. And toss up for number 3 position. Toni Iommi & Geezer Butler with Black Sabbath in the 70's.

Archived