Your top 3 musical influences...

Symmetry2170

• Members

^^ here's a man with impeccable taste.

1. waylon jennings

2. tom waits

3. townes van zant

He's my acoustic hero. We used to hang out when he'd swing by Chapel Hill. Not only is he brilliant, he's one of the nicest, most soft-spoken, down to earth people you'll ever meet. Most of the time when he was touring in the early days, he was living out of his car from gig to gig, all the time. Didn't have a home. People throw around "suffering for your art" pretty liberally these days, but he lived it. Most people are devastated when their little known talent sells out. But when I heard him on a VW commercial years later, I was so happy for him. He deserved it.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He's my acoustic hero. We used to hang out when he'd swing by Chapel Hill. Not only is he brilliant, he's one of the nicest, most soft-spoken, down to earth people you'll ever meet. Most of the time when he was touring in the early days, he was living out of his car from gig to gig, all the time. Didn't have a home. People throw around "suffering for your art" pretty liberally these days, but he lived it. Most people are devastated when their little known talent sells out. But when I heard him on a VW commercial years later, I was so happy for him. He deserved it.

nice. he's easily my favorite modern singer/songwriter.

bloomed and devotion+doubt are two of my most listened to albums.

• Members

As diverse as we all are, it seems like we're all really similar in many respects as well. This is a cool thread, let's keep it going! Feel free to post pics as well, everyone loves picture threads, right? They're like pop-up books for kids, only HCEGF members..

• Members

Only three?? Hmm, then:

Bob Dylan
Syd Barrett
Tom Waits

But I hate leaving out Neil Young, Roy Harper, Paul Simon, the Beatles, the Stones, Led Zep, Television, Talking Heads, XTC, Captain Beefheart, Bowie, Velvet Underground, Robert Wyatt, Jimi Hendrix ... I could go on!

Archived