Sleeper Guitars

Bbreaker

• Members

Have played loads of cheap Corts (they sell them where I teach) and they are solid guitars, I wonder how the higher lines feel like.

i don't know, that's all they have at my local m&p is low and mid level electrics. i own an X-5 and love it. they did, however, have an MR-780-FX A/E(which is the top of their MR line) that i'm the proud owner of:thu:... i would love to get my hands on a Z Custom or a top of the line M Series...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
by any chance do you mean "S101"? Still cant believe a used $100 guitar with a few dollars in mods is my #1 player.

The obligatory S101 pic:

29eka2o.jpg

No, a different company. Route 101 was a company that sold direct Strat (Solimar) and Tele (Rincon) styled guitars where you could customize options.

• Members

Washburn-Red-Rocker-1.jpg

I had a Washburn RR something or another- one of the sammy haggar ones with acoustic and electric outputs- I have to say, it was a damn fine guitar with excellent fit and finish for not being a custom shop model. And I got rid of it because......I don't really remember, probably gear ADHD. One I should have kept.

• Members

Switch Wild IV Signature:

335013.jpg335010.jpg
335012.jpg335008.jpg

Not made of wood. Neck and body formed together of Vibracell. Fretboard is Ebonite, both pups are split, Alnico II in the neck Alnico V at the bridge. Too bad few of you will ever have the chance to play one. Also too bad they didn't catch on. I love mine!

I played several at the store I picked my Ibanez Artist up in. Very consistent neck and playability. Very weird but cool

all the same. Even the store guys were talking about that if you can get past the looks (some just couldn't get into it)

they were very good values for the money.

• Members

Ibanez Artist:

CIMG0304.JPG

Doug, the other guitar player in my band has an old 2622 with a booster preamp in it and I always wanted one.

Found this one in a store the same day I tried the Switch guitars, tried it for about a minute and literally said out loud "holy $h1t, I'm getting this."

I bought it and took it back to my office for the afternoon in the middle of a work day but I had to have it.

PICT0071.JPG

I couldn't figure out why it was such a great guitar as the newer Artists weren't "supposed" to be as good but this one was fantastic for the money.

I ended up finding out after I opened up and cleaned the guitar that it had about $500 of aftermarket parts into it - matched Duncan Seth Lovers, Grover Gold imperial tuners, aftermarket switchcraft switches, boutique gold plated trisound switches, brass switchtip, aftermarket Schaller roller bridge and fine tuning stoptail - it just goes on and on.

The serial indicates the guitar is about ten years old but it was in new condition and the case was utterly ungigged.

• Members

I never see many people talk about the Fender Muddy Waters Tele. Its a fantastic guitar, the stock neck pickup is amazing, it sounds perfect with just a drop of gain. I have had one for 8 years now and it still jsut feels perfect. The neck is think (for me) but still fits well somehow. Maybe I got a good one, but everyone that plays it comments on how great it feels and plays. for ~$500 you can't get a better tele IMO.

ignore the gibson. and those goofy pups in the tele.
413053557_271593ecfe_b.jpg

• Members

M80.jpg
I have one of those, it's nice.

I picked up an M-80 set neck when Sam Ash was blowing them out for less than $200, IIRC. Really underrated guitar, I think it got confused with the bolt-on version and people thought it was too expensive at full street price. Even the DD pups sound decent in that guitar. I also have the Espirit version and in that guitar I did upgrade the pups from the too muddy-sounding DDs. The build quality on this line of guitars was very good MIK.

• Members
I like old Ibanez Roadstars.

IMG_1520aa.jpg

As I posted earlier, I love em. My first guitar ever was a Roadstar II the same color as yours. Main differences were that it was lefty, had a floyd, and was a HSS setup. I loved it, seeing yours reminds me of it a LOT.

I've been chasing after another for some 20 years now, but finding the same configuration in a LEFTY is a bit hard. I did just score a Proline from the same era that is AWESOME! It's like a roadstar body and neck, but with an RG headstock. Same pickguard shape, same floyd, same pickups (SWEET single coil tones!), but with the addition of a 5 pushbutton system that allows any combination of the pickups and also the splitting of the 'bucker.

I LOVE this guitar. I have 12 electrics hanging in my living room, and I've forgotten about all of them since getting this axe!

Post more pics of your Roadstar if you've got them, please!

• Members

As I posted earlier, I love em. My first guitar ever was a Roadstar II the same color as yours. Main differences were that it was lefty, had a floyd, and was a HSS setup. I loved it, seeing yours reminds me of it a LOT.

I've been chasing after another for some 20 years now, but finding the same configuration in a LEFTY is a bit hard. I did just score a Proline from the same era that is AWESOME! It's like a roadstar body and neck, but with an RG headstock. Same pickguard shape, same floyd, same pickups (SWEET single coil tones!), but with the addition of a 5 pushbutton system that allows any combination of the pickups and also the splitting of the 'bucker.

I LOVE this guitar. I have 12 electrics hanging in my living room, and I've forgotten about all of them since getting this axe!

Post more pics of your Roadstar if you've got them, please!

Big Roadstar fan here too. I have 5 of them:thu:

• 6 years later...
  • Members

Not really a fan of most standard budget offerings as I find the string spacing too crowded at the nut, fretsprout, the frets wear out faster, boat anchor heavy, generally not the most resonant. But I do enjoy eating top shelf steak at hamburger prices. No question that sleepers are out there as this thread attests. I probably already mentioned (earlier post) the MIM Fender Squier Series, the Washburn Bantam Series Bass and P290. Since then I've acquired a few others that don't really give much up to my American made Fender, Gibson and Hamers. Got an Uncle Mat Aria Pro II RS series Bobcat that sounds and plays splendidly. Picked up a Korean built Carlo Robelli 335 copy that is just a flat out fantastic 335. Also recently picked up a Vinci Signature Super Strat which totally belies any preconceptions you ever had about Chinese builds. Basswood body, lightweight, no sprout, very hard medium jumbo frets, topshelf tuning keys. I paid less on Craig's but still consider this listing on Reverb to be a total bargain - https://reverb.com/item/2148622-vinci-signature-2010-2016-cherry-burst. THIS IS NOT MY GUITAR, I LOVE THIS THING.

• Members

That's the one that got away for me. I always swore I'd have a vintage Guild some day, but now those prices are as high as vintage Gibsons. No need for one now anyway as I've checked off those boxes with Hamer USA and Gibson and a crazy good'n cheap Carlo Robelli 335 copy.

• Members

My vote would go for the Squier Venus XII.

These were made in Japan, used great hardware and were done in such a small run that the Custom Shop at Seymour Duncan hand wound all of the pickups simply because they didn't make enough of these to put the old Electric XII pickups into production.

I had bought this one to strip all the parts off to build an Electric XII copy but it's so nice I decided to just leave it as I got it.

A real sleeper and very affordable (this one was about $200 - $300 IIRC) if you can find one.

9f4177be2bd771c3bbe2a2cf3da815e7.thumb.jpg.1fe41a6e0173739511b276f8c2c2c42d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived