Is this actually a Gibson (weird SG content)

jhamnett

• Members

$500 for an SG II?

If you don't, I may

Judging from the listing stating that it hasn't been played in 20 years, I don't know if a trade is gonna fly.

Yeah, that is true. I just don't have the cash at all right now.

• Members

IIRC those are minihumbuckers with black plastic covers. You won't get the traditional SG sounds with it, but I knew a guy who made pretty good music with his.

I know there's a certain collector's value to this piece, but as a player, it's inferior to just about everything you'd pay $450 for today.

• Members

I saw that. He mentions the price is $500, but " demand will dictate the price." Basically, I think he's waiting for a best offer, and he's expecting that best offer to be more than $500. That's my read, anyway.

Looks like a cool guitar. Those 70's SGs, if I remember correctly, have very thin necks, width wise.

• Members

Myself Id pass. A friend had one back in the 70's down the block from me. While it could sound good it just didnt equal SG or Les Paul sound wise and lacked the versatility of both due to the rather limited controls of master volume and master tone.

• Members

Yeah, those were Norlin experiments that went sort of sour. I believe it's these ugly sort of top load models from their era that caused all the fuss. They still made other models like LP's in the traditional fashion and you can't really bash away at those.

I think the guitar player in that Australian band Wolf Mother, plays one.

• Members

I saw that. He mentions the price is $500, but " demand will dictate the price." Basically, I think he's waiting for a best offer, and he's expecting that best offer to be more than $500. That's my read, anyway.

Looks like a cool guitar. Those 70's SGs, if I remember correctly, have very thin necks, width wise.

Uhh... usually that means they will take less for it, not expect more.

Have you ever seen an ad for something, then called them, and said you will pay double?

• Members

I sent him an email. He now wants $850, as it's the last offer made, and asked me to make a higher one. I told him he must be mistaking Craigslist for Ebay.

Wow...sounds pretty fishy to me. It's lame when they list a price, and then try to milk more out of you when you call. I'd pass, personally.

Archived