Do you still have your first guitar?

RufusFussbuster

• Members

Mine was a MIJ strat copy.

"Mako" HSS, nice neck, plywood body, horrible tuners, horribler pickups. Can still squeeze out a decent usable sound - as long as you don't A/B it with about any other guitar. :)

My son plays it now. I'll do some upgrades if he sticks with it a little.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, and I don't miss it. It was a cheap "Alex" red SG copy that I got new in 1971 for $99, with an amp. The action was an inch off the fingerboard.

I do miss my second guitar though: brand new Tele, olympic white with a maple board, bought in 1972. That oly white would have a nice vintage hue to it now.

• Members

I still have my old Teisco Del Ray hollow body not one of the better ones and never was a great player. But it has it's sentimental value.

On the other hand I still have this one that was given to me and I hated with a passion for the longest time but now find it's worth money as a great slide guitar.

x_silver_thintwin_50s.jpg

• Members

Yes, at least the first electric I bought for myself. An SG-1 that had a low impedence pickup in it which I swapped out for a DiMarzio Super Distortion. It sounded awesome.

I had moved on to other guitars and gave it to my nephew who never learned and put a couple nice dings in it. Then it sat in my mom's attic for years. I pulled it out one day a couple years ago. Missing strings, input jack pulled out and disconnected and the aforementioned dings. Amazingly, the neck was still straight after years of heating and cooling for months at a time.

Brought it in to a local guitar tech and he reconnected the jack, put new strings on and a set up. I had forgotton what a rock and roll monster it is. It's now officially my younger daughter's guitar. So, we both got the same really cool guitar for our first!

• Members

I still have my old Teisco Del Ray hollow body not one of the better ones and never was a great player. But it has it's sentimental value.

On the other hand I still have this one that was given to me and I hated with a passion for the longest time but now find it's worth money as a great slide guitar.

x_silver_thintwin_50s.jpg

That thing is really cool. Jimmy Reed's guitar!

• Members

Nope. My first guitar was a 335 copy I found in my grandfather's closet (a Harmony or something). I traded it in for a what I thought (at the time) was a cool-looking Westone V as soon as I could. What did I know... oh well, the 335 copy was pretty warped and not that playable anyways, so it probably wasn't a bad thing.

• Members

Yep, a circa 1967 Harmony Stella - got it when I was 8. No fretboard, spray-painted fret markers and tiny, LOW frets. No wonder I quit lessons after a few months. I do still remember it being really hard to play.

Recently I polished it up, lowered the bridge to get reasonable action, and replaced the broken nut. And, know what?!? ... well, OK, it still sounds like crap... dull, dead. I guess you really can't polish a turd. :facepalm:

• Members

My grandfather bought this L3 when he got from back WWI. It became my dads somewhere along the line and it passed on to me in 1953. The first thing I picked out on it was "Ghost Riders in the Sky".

My brother had it for 20 years or so and trashed it. If I ever can figure out how pay for it I'll get it restored.

L3003.jpg

• Members

My grandfather bought this L3 when he got from back WWI. It became my dads somewhere along the line and it passed on to me in 1953. The first thing I picked out on it was "Ghost Riders in the Sky".

My brother had it for 20 years or so and trashed it. If I ever can figure out how pay for it I'll get it restored.

L3003.jpg

Wow! That thing is a real treasure.

• Members

Kawai Aquarius 605. Dad bought for me back in 1984 when my buds and I stated a "band". Japanesse made came with Schaller Super B pickups, but about 3 years ago I redid with Semour Duncan '59 in neck, pearly gates in bridge. changed the crappy trem bridge with A Gotoh bent steal saddle one and changed the tuners to Schaller mini locking and redid all the lectronics, pots, knobs, toggle, jack and plate. Sounds freaking awesome!

• Members

Epiphone Les Paul Special II (Christmas '96) - jack kept coming lose. Both the nut and soldering joints on the jack. Those problems aside, got the job done 'til I upgraded about 2 years in. Sold the Epi sometime around 2001 to a classmate.

65d86b66001e5e05b78c9bc74d593cc2.jpg

• Members

First guitar was an acoustic Fender F-15. Don't have it and don't miss it.

First electric was a Memphis Les Paul Copy. Years ago, my mother convinced me to give it to my cousin who 'thought' that his was interested in becoming a guitarist. He wasn't. I do miss that guitar, if only for sentimental reasons...

Archived