Do you still have your first guitar?

RufusFussbuster

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Believe it or not. I can't remember what my first guitar was. I started on bass and had an old Univox SG bass, but then switched to guitar when the rhythm player in our band couldn't play "tie your mother down". I used his Hondo II LP for a while but don't remember what I finally got. I did have an imported SD Curlee from the sears catalog that may have been 1st, but I'm not 100% sure.

I do have my first Gibson I bought a couple years later (1984) though.

• Members

The answer is yes and no.

My first guitar was given to me when I was about 4-5 years old. It was one of those little Sears plastic jobs with nylon strings. I wish I still had it because it's the first thing I can remember my Dad giving me.

My first real guitar is my S&P Cedar 6 which I still have. It's a great guitar and I'll likely never sell it as it would be hard to replace a guitar of that quality for what I paid for it. ($125.00)

• Members

I bought a brand new Fender Jaguar in 1964 on time. So much a month. Little Joe's in Vincennes, IN. Sunburst. I am not sure what I payed for it but prolly around 300 dollars and of course case included. Plus tax of course. That was alot of money back then and I worried like hell until I paid it off. My first "going into debt" puchase. She is still with me and as much as I was hounded it has never been out of wherever I lived. My little baby. Best investment I ever made.

• Members

I don't have my first guitar.It was a Harmony Stella acoustic arch-top with a pickup added. My second guitar was a red one pickup electric from Woolworths that broke the first day I had it. My 3rd guitar,and the one I remember the best,was a no name variant of the Teisco E-100 like the ones below.

The picture below on the left I copied from the Teisco Twangers webpage 5 years ago. When I saw this picture it was a revelation because I instantly recognized it as the guitar I used to own.(I had bought it in 1966 and gave it to a friend in 1972)

The picture in the middle is a similar version I bought a couple of years ago.I don't have that guitar anymore but the one on the left I saw at Music-Go-Round a couple of days ago and it was "Like deja vu all over again" so I bought it for $50.

mye-100_a-1.jpgDSCF0060-1-1.jpg100_8486-1-2.jpg

• Members

I do indeed. It's a 1935-1940 Harmony Vogue acoustic that I found down at my local dump. Paid, like, 10p for her.

I was just looking for a guitar of my own, and when this turned up (just at the right time), I fell in love with it. I took her home, polished her up, and learnt to play on her, despite the action problems. I was curious about the brand, so I did some research and found out her true identity. Needless to say, I was a bit shocked. I thought she might have been some crappy cheapo thing from the sixties/seventies :lol:

She has got problems though. Luckily, I'm sending her out to get her all fixed up and restored soon :thu:

DSCF1417.jpg

As for my first electric, it was just a Silvertone Citation starter pack that I saved months for. I do miss it... screwed it up and sold it as parts, basically :cry:

This is one of the only photos I can find of it, back from around 2007. This was a "band" I was in, that never did anything, never even played together. Heck, the "lead guitarist" on the far right hadn't even learned to play yet (the pic was taken on the day he got it), and the bassist (with the blue Ibanez) hadn't even got a bass yet! :facepalm:

1854575252a7350758068l.jpg

I'm the one in the middle, with the bad hair :lol:

• Members

I've still got my first electric, an early 80s "Carlos" strat replica bought new.

Even though I have better equipment these days that axe still hangs on the wall and now and then I'll pick it up and remember all the jr high jam sessions I had with it. great times.

20 something years later it's much better than looking at photos.

• Members

I still have my late 80's Squier II Strat.

Its still all original though I had the trem blocked years ago.

I usually leave it on a floor stand for the kids to mess around on while I'm playing, but I haven't played it myself in ages. I just plugged it in and wow, I was really shocked at how good it played. The necks on these Squier II's are some of the best that Fender/Squier has ever produced.

Of course the hardware is pretty much junk, but I really think I may go ahead and spend some time/money to get this beauty running again with new tuners and electronics.

• Members

My first was a cheap and nasty black Les Paul copy, which was stolen. My second was a blue Squier strat, which I never really bonded with, which was also stolen.

My third was a Korean fender acoustic, my fourth a mate's cast-off classical, my fifth was a bass (Westone Thunder 1A - a modern classic), and my sixth (and third electric six-string) was a red 1985 Westone Spectrum DX with double-locking tremelo, which is actually an exceptionally nice guitar.

All of these I still have, which may be why my wife is not entirely supportive of any GASsing I might be doing for another one. I've tried telling her that guitars are for me what shoes are to her, but so far no dice.

• Members

Nope. After several plastic toys, my first 'real' guitar was an acoustic that my brother gave me for Christmas when I was 8. Once I got an electric, I brilliantly decided to smash the acoustic with a hammer :facepalm:

My first electric was a Harmony (or some other Teisco-made thing) that was 'rescued' from a neighbors garbage can; they had tossed it out b/c it was missing the saddle part of the bridge. My father fashioned a new one out of a piece of brass tubing & I was ready to rock! I have no idea what ever became of that guitar, though :idk:

4473279940_c28c979298_o.jpg

The first electric that I actually bought was a Hondo flying V. It looked just like this one (It was eventually pawned to fund a cross-country trip):

2743310047_1a24ee077c_o.jpg

Just a few months ago, I ran across an Ebay auction for a similar V in white and nostalgia got the best of me. I'm in the midst of refinishing it... it currently looks like this:

4375662475_3c0f57e649.jpg

Archived