Lets Do this RIGHT. The Official Page Vrs. Clapton Battle.

DaveAronow

• Members

Clapton has seemed to make relevant music over a longer period of time than Page.

I couldn't disagree more. Clapton did some great stuff with Cream and for a couple of years immediately following their breakup.

He hasn't laid down an interesting note or phrase in 35 years. Boring, safe, derivative and repetitive Strat quack for golf dads who think they wanna "feel it."

His music since the early 70s sounds like background music for a Michelob beer commercial.

For me, Page was always more inventive and exciting even when both were at the top of their game.

I will concede that Clapton may be technically more proficient and "clean" playing. Fortunately, that means nothing to me.

Pagey's always had the fire. Cooler, more imaginative riffs, a wider range of sounds, more powerful music altogether. Clapton's fire burned out decades ago.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Apart from the fact that they're both Brits of a Certain Age and used to play guitar in The Yardbirds ...

As bandleader, riffmeister, tunesmith, producer/arranger, on-stage shapethrower and overall Rock Monster ... the winnah is ... JIMMY PAGE.

As '60s sonic pioneer (first guy to run a Les Paul into a Marshall and turn the suckah up) and (on a good day, of which he had many in the '60s and still does occasionally even today) blues guitar poet and soloist ... the winnah is ... ERIC CLAPTON.

Got to give people props for what they're good at ... and Page and Clapton have very different skill-sets which overlap only tangentially.

• Members
Not sure that's really relevant to anything ... they're both much richer than BB King. Bill Gates is significantly wealthier than both of 'em put together, and I wouldn't want to hear HIM play ...

Or use his crappy operating system, for that matter.

I guess my point was that people have voted with their cash. Unless Page is incredibly stupid with his money?

Each has gone at least Gold, many Platinum many times over.

I may be wrong on total albums sold, Zep has sold lots of copies of 5-6 albums, with a total output of 12 or so albums. Throw in a few more for the Yardbirds, if you like. His solo career since 1980 has been mediocre at best. When not covering Zep tunes, he's been only marginally successful. Two albums by The Firm have been the only high points, IMO.

While Clapton has sold more modest amounts of 45-50 albums, not counting all his guest appearances, movie soundtracks, etc., he continues to sell millions of records and make appearances with other musicians. Since 1980 he has had 20 Gold or Platinum albums, 10 major motion picture scores and appeared on dozens of other musicians albums.

If your idea of successful is winning a poll on HCEG, Page wins. In real life success is measured by more tangible things.

Both are incredible musicians, for different reasons. Both deserve respect for their achievements and innovations. The lack of respect by Clapton haters is petty jealousy and envy. :idk:

• Members

The lack of respect by Clapton haters is
petty jealousy and envy
:idk:

no. It is NOT. :rolleyes::rolleyes::facepalm:

:idea: It is because he is an overrated tired old safe playing, no chance taking, no energy having, non interesting, extremely BORING guitar player that I otherwise wouldnt give a rats ass about if everyone werent tring to pass off as some "GUITAR GOD". He is not a musical God of any sort whatsoever. He is a guy that plays safe, tired, boring blues riffs and does it extremely well.

Who cares how well he plays it. It is LAME LAME LAME.

There has never been a Clapton song in the history of music that makes me go "HELL YEAH!!!!" and want to grab the knob abd crank it up.

There has never even been a Clapton song in history that even makes me NOT want to immediately change the channel and find something at least somewhat more interesting, like, I dont know, maybe Bob Ross painting some flowers of something, because even THAT would be more exciting.

There is no jellousy, there is no envy, I couldnt give a rats ass, and would never even THINK of the guy if it werent for all the Koolaid drinkers telling me why I should be worshiping this guy.

He is THEE most BORING player Ive ever heard and it just boggles my mind why anyone would get so excited about music

that has so litle energy, excitement, or even anything even mildly interesting. Maybe if he invented all those tired old cliche'd old blues riffs that we have all heard over and over again from millions of guitar players for decades.

THAT would be something.

But No.

Clapton =/= God

• Members

dang lots of folks just drinking the hate-aid.. kinda sad.. such energy being expended to try to bolster ones point of view... i get it you dont like this style or that guitarist. but man... is it really worth all this bother?

there are lots of guitarist i dont like dont get dont have an ear for.. but to dismiss a man with such talent.. with little or no real argument...

clapton plays in his style, BB, buddy, cray. all have a style... Robert Johnson had a style.. and if you really dont get it... then dont listen.. this is more of a trolling thread then anything.. some cats just camp out on it to spread bad vibes... not sure i get the point.. an opinion is just that.. and is worth nothing to any one other then the holder..

let it go..

• Members

dang lots of folks just drinking the hate-aid.. kinda sad.. such energy being expended to try to bolster ones point of view... i get it you dont like this style or that guitarist. but man... is it really worth all this bother?

there are lots of guitarist i dont like dont get dont have an ear for.. but to dismiss a man with such talent.. with little or no real argument...

clapton plays in his style, BB, buddy, cray. all have a style... Robert Johnson had a style.. and if you really dont get it... then dont listen.. this is more of a trolling thread then anything.. some cats just camp out on it to spread bad vibes... not sure i get the point.. an opinion is just that.. and is worth nothing to any one other then the holder..

let it go..

Im not dissmissing his talent. He's got it. Just not in any amount that would qualify him to even be an alter boy, much less a "GOD".

He is not doing anything that I dont hear a ton of other guitar players doing. We wouldnt be having this discussion if people werent trying to pass him off as a GOD.

• Members

Im not dissmissing his talent. He's got it. Just not in any amount that would qualify him to even be an alter boy, much less a "GOD".

He is not doing anything that I dont hear a ton of other guitar players doing. We wouldnt be having this discussion if people werent trying to pass him off as a GOD.

i dont think any guitar player as a god.. but i do respect any one who has song writting and melodic sensibilities.. some thing that modern music seems to be in very short supply of but its just an opinion.. i dont need to hear trick licks or fancy fret board geometry from every guitarist to appreciate them. hell.. BB King will say more with a 5 note phrase and a trill then some big hair 80's throw back can in a whole 12 bars. John Lee Hooker.. can say more in a slow wood chopping Whomp.. then some pyro track star who all full of sound and fury but signifying nothing.. meh...

its your thread..

what ever.

but i woud just put some tunes on that you dig and

let it go..

• Members
no. It is NOT.
:rolleyes:
:rolleyes:
:facepalm:

:idea:
It is because he is an overrated tired old safe playing, no chance taking, no energy having, non interesting, extremely BORING guitar player that I otherwise wouldnt give a rats ass about if everyone werent tring to pass off as some "
GUITAR GOD
". He is not a musical God of any sort whatsoever. He is a guy that plays safe, tired, boring blues riffs and does it extremely well.

Who cares how well he plays it. It is LAME LAME LAME.

There has never been a Clapton song in the history of music that makes me go "HELL YEAH!!!!" and want to grab the knob abd crank it up.

There has never even been a Clapton song in history that even makes me NOT want to immediately change the channel and find something at least somewhat more interesting, like, I dont know, maybe Bob Ross painting some flowers of something, because even THAT would be more exciting.

There is no jellousy, there is no envy, I couldnt give a rats ass, and would never even THINK of the guy if it werent for all the Koolaid drinkers telling me why I should be worshiping this guy.

He is THEE most BORING player Ive ever heard and it just boggles my mind why anyone would get so excited about music

that has so litle energy, excitement, or even anything even mildly interesting. Maybe if he
invented
all those tired old cliche'd old blues riffs that we have all heard over and over again from millions of guitar players for decades.

THAT
would be something.

But No.

Clapton =/= God

To have a dissenting opinion of the obvious fact of his popularity is one thing, but to harbor such deep resentment can't be good for your health. Quite the tirade for someone who claims to not care. :lol:

drPhil.jpg

• Members

i dont think any guitar player as a god.. but i do respect any one who has song writting and melodic sensibilities.. some thing that modern music seems to be in very short supply of but its just an opinion..
i dont need to hear trick licks or fancy fret board geometry from every guitarist to appreciate them. hell.. BB King will say more with a 5 note phrase and a trill then some big hair 80's throw back can in a whole 12 bars. John Lee Hooker.. can say more in a slow wood chopping Whomp.. then some pyro track star who all full of sound and fury but signifying nothing
.. meh...

its your thread..

what ever.

but i woud just put some tunes on that you dig and

let it go..

All these things you assume that are what I like in a guitar player, just because I find Clapton mindnumbingly boring, you couldnt be further off the mark.

You are making assumptions about what I DO like based on my lack of interest for Capton.

I dont know why you are making the comparison to 80's hairband shredders and assumg that is what I am talking about. We were comparing Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton.... :idk:

• Members
All these things you assume that are what I like in a guitar player, just because I find Clapton mindnumbingly boring, you couldnt be further off the mark.

You are making assumptions about what I DO like based on my lack of interest for Capton.

I dont know why you are making the comparison to 80's hairband shredders and assumg that is what I am talking about. We were comparing Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton....
:idk:

so what is the point?
to get some sorta gathering of internet folks to agree with you and say
"YEA CLAPTON SUCKS!" wtf are you comparing to completely differnt players any how.. i think im pretty much closer to the truth of this post then you care to admit.. its the in thing to hate this or that.. and be edgy and all..
its a {censored} argument and a pretty bad comparison.. its like compairng SRV to Buddy Guy to John McLaughlin.. Paco... my point is its just a bit of flaming in the guise of a poll.. its weak and you will get folks to agree with you so if thats your goal... :thu: but you will get others who will disagree..

you find clapton boring... so post a poll compairing to completely different guitarist and say which one is better? kinda weak..
i dont have the talent to say any guitarist truly sucks.. there are some i dont care for the style off... but they all have talent. but perhaps you are really that good that you can say.. CLAPTON is a hack...

wow.. you must really be a very good guitarist..
so :thu:

• Members

One thing I do give Clapton credit for.

He could have faded away in the 70s into a somnambulant stupor, bumping into things until he just wandered off some cliff.

Instead he pulled himself together and made himself into a legitimate, bankable pop whore. And I mean that in the most positive sense.

• Members

So what would happen if we assessed Jimmy Page by what he's done since 1980 (thirty years ago, since Bonham died and Zep disbanded) -- or Clapton by what he's done since 1970 (forty years ago, since the release of the Layla album)?

The work for which we all rate JP was done over the 12 years that Zep were together (plus, maybe, the year-and-a-half-or-so immediately prior to that when he was in The Yardbirds). EC's 'hot streak' (Yardbirds, Mayall, Cream, Blind Faith, Dominos) was half of that: 1964-70.

Since then, Clapton's functioned essentially as a singer/songwriter who plays some lead guitar as part of his music. Like his music or not -- and I like at best maybe 10% of it -- at least he's gotten out from under the shadow of the great bands he was in during the '60s. Page is still stuck in the Led Zeppelin era, only without Led Zeppelin. If you're under thirty ... how many genuinely interesting and enjoyable records has he made during your lifetime?

• Members
So what would happen if we assessed Jimmy Page by what he's done since 1980 (thirty years ago, since Bonham died and Zep disbanded) -- or Clapton by what he's done since 1970 (forty years ago, since the release of the Layla album)?

The work for which we all rate JP was done over the 12 years that Zep were together (plus, maybe, the year-and-a-half-or-so immediately prior to that when he was in The Yardbirds). EC's 'hot streak' (Yardbirds, Mayall, Cream, Blind Faith, Dominos) was half of that: 1964-70.

Since then, Clapton's functioned essentially as a singer/songwriter who plays some lead guitar as part of his music. Like his music or not -- and I like at best maybe 10% of it -- at least he's gotten out from under the shadow of the great bands he was in during the '60s. Page is still stuck in the Led Zeppelin era, only without Led Zeppelin. If you're under thirty ... how many genuinely interesting and enjoyable records has he made during your lifetime?

You bring some serious points to this thread. I think all of your posts are "right". You better get out before the flame group comes out of the amps section :lol:

• Members

so what is the point?

to get some sorta gathering of internet folks to agree with you and say

"
YEA CLAPTON SUCKS
!" wtf are you comparing to completely differnt players any how.. i think im pretty much closer to the truth of this post then you care to admit..
its the in thing to hate this or that.. and be edgy and all..

its a {censored} argument and a pretty bad comparison.. its like compairng SRV to Buddy Guy to John McLaughlin.. Paco... my point is its just a bit of flaming in the guise of a poll.. its weak and you will get folks to agree with you so if thats your goal... but you will get others who will disagree..

you find clapton boring... so post a poll compairing to completely different guitarist and say which one is better? kinda weak..

i dont have the talent
to say any guitarist truly sucks
.. there are some i dont care for the style off... but they all have talent. but perhaps you are really that good that you can say..
CLAPTON is a hack...

wow.. you must really be a very good guitarist..

so

Hmmm?

I never said

A. "Clapton sucks"

B. "Clapton is a Hack"

C. "Clapton is even a bad player"

D: Edit.... I DID say that Clapton=blows but that was just my interpretation of what the poll results revealed, AND... well, OK, was meant to provoke a little bit of this:poke:, you know, for fun. :p

And "MY" poll comparing these particular guitarists was a spill over from another thread in which people were arguing over which one is better, so I wanted to see some actual numbers involved with what the people that regularly posted here think, for my own curiosity, entertainment and enjoyment. I must say I was really suprised in the beginning when clapton took the lead right off the bat and held it for the first 20 to 30 votes of so because I thought it was going to be a no brainer win for Page, but then the numbers started to more reflect what I thought was going to happen, being that the majority of the people HERE, that will take part in the poll, WILL indeed find page a better guitar player.

If this hurts your feelings or makes you THAT upset, then I would suggest bowing out of the thread, go put some clapton on and take a nap or something, and have a nice day. Otherwise, I am welcoming you to continue with the conversation as long as you'd like. Its all cool. Im 100% POSITIVE that I LOVE some music and musicians, that the masses will find silly, lame, boring, and sucky. I am really cool with that too.

but just to recap, THIS thread is for MY personal curiosity, and anyone that is interested is welcome to participate, or not. If you choose to participate, you will need to be prepared to hear my opinions because this is MY thread :mad:, I bought it :cop:, I PAID for it , I OWN it , and NO ONE is going to take that away from me.

Except maybe Frets99.

Or MaziBee

Or...........

you get the idea.

And if you are accusing me of jumping on some clapton bashing band wagon because it is the "in" and "hip" thing right now, then I must be REALLY cool because I wasnt impressed even back in 1980 when I was 15 and all my cool little music nerd friends that DID like what ever the hip bandwagon flavor of the month was back then, were all trying to convince me how awesome he was..... I was like,

"OK. :thu: Cool, let me hear it then........ Uhm, guys? :confused:..... when is the awesomeness going to start?

Guys? Guys?":idk:

So, One last time

Scuzzo, I like you, I would hate for your love of Clapton and my indifference of him to come between us :love:, but one last time,

Clapton gets constantly rated and praised as a "Guitar GOD". :rolleyes:

He is NOT. That is all I am saying, and if I am going to make a statement like that, I am prepared to list reasons why I dissagree with it, which I did.

That is pretty much all we have going on here, but some feelings seem to be getting hurt so, I appologhize about that.

I dont expect ANYONE to change their opinion on him one way or the other based on what MY opinion is.... I am just being one of the vocal millions that doesnt think he is a GOD.

Unless there is something to be said for the art of the lullaby. In THAT sense he is an ABSOLUTE IMMORTAL GOD!!!:thu:

• Members

Yeah, both of those Page and Plant albums are good, and the tours were fantastic.

Trouble with the "what has he done since the 80s that's good?" argument is that, actually, he just hasn't done very much at all; he's been more or less semi retired since Zep. Of the few things he has got round to doing, a fair amount of it is pretty good.

For me, despite being primarily a guitarist myself, I can't really listen to music just for guitar playing alone. There has to be something more than that going on to engage my interest. I've never heard that something more in Clapton. Even with Cream; the only thing I like about that band is Jack Bruce.

• Members
And if you are accusing me of jumping on some clapton bashing band wagon because it is the "in" and "hip" thing right now, then I must be REALLY cool because I wasnt impressed even back in 1980 when I was 15 and all my cool little music nerd friends that DID like what ever the hip bandwagon flavor of the month was back then, were all trying to convince me how awesome he was..... I was like,

"OK.
:thu:
Cool, let me hear it then........ Uhm, guys?
:confused:
..... when is the awesomeness going to start?

Guys? Guys?":idk:

I recall a very similar experience. My guitar playing mate came round with a copy of Wheels Of Fire, raving about this Deserted Cities song and Clapton on it.

Now, wind forward to 1:50 and listen to the solo:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

I felt like the kid in the story The Emperor's New Clothes. That solo is wack. {censored}-awful tone, no structure at all, that hideous warbly vibrato, and cack-handed phrasing that I found laughable even at the age of 13. And I, like Clapton, "have not changed my view".

I find this about most of lead playing on the Cream albums. "Christ, here comes the solo, I was quite enjoying it up to then".

Can someone point me to some actually genuinely good and not hideously ugly lead playing on a Cream LP? I'm not joking. I think it sounds rotten. I'll give him this though, it's not boring like his later stuff. It's too weird and ugly to be boring. It just makes me WTF every time he cranks up.

Archived