Lets Do this RIGHT. The Official Page Vrs. Clapton Battle.

DaveAronow

• Members

Personally, I dont Even think these two guys Names should even be mentioned in the same sentence, and the music police are probably on their way to my house as we speak.........

But lets see what YOU think....

Which one is better, and why?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dave,

I am calling them equal. I think if you listed Clapton's influential songs, and Page's the lists would be pretty similar in length. I will say though, that Clapton has seemed to make relevant music over a longer period of time than Page. What has Page done after Zep? So I would say Page had a higher peak, but it happened over a shorter period and Clapton had a longer, slower burn that has kept him relevant to the general population longer.

• Members

Clapton is a better player technically, he has better phrasing, lyrical skills, and can play over a wider variety of genres.

But the magic (for me) of Pages records is not always the playing, but the production. Page was a brilliant producer, stemming from his days as a session guy.

• Members

I'm voting that they're equals, as they would not doubt tell you themselves. Both were innovative, and will go down as giants of the guitar world.

Now let's see...

Beethoven vs Mozart, anyone? :poke:
:blah:

I would say Beethoven was more influential/important but Mozart put out an incredible amount of great compositions. Pretty much the same for Page and Clapton. Hard Rock would not be what it is without Page, Clapton brought Blues back into the spotlight. All great composers and musicians. I vote Page though as being more innovative, especially in his studio experimentations.

• Members

I would say Beethoven was more influential/important but Mozart put out an incredible amount of great compositions.

I hear back in the day, Mozart used to go around on a private boat with MOZART written on the side in massive letters, fully staffed with wenches hired just to pour ale into his flagon. Beethoven apparently used to have to go in a coach and horses.

Also, the candles and gaslamps at Mozart shows were way better than Beethoven's. We are talking massive candles here. When they lit them all up during Symphony Number 24 at the end of the gig, it was so bright it was like ... early evening. No {censored}.

Also, Mozart has been inducted into the Frock-Coat & Piano Roll Hall of Fame, like fourteen times.

Not dissing Beethoven mind you. Beethoven was def.

• Members

They were both Awesome, but both kind of lost it for me later on in their careers.

Pagey was a hero, but I've seen a lot of latterday clips where he is sloppy as {censored}.

Clapton went all schmaltzy, but the Cream reunion showed him on fire again.

I think Pagey was cooler, but they both deserve their status IMO.

:thu:

• Members

Page- "Achilles Last Stand"

Clapton- "Lay Down Sally"

Hmm... Let me mull this over and I'll get back to you.

Or,

Clapton- Have You Ever Loved a Woman

Page- Some minstrel-y, folky song that I can't remember the name of, with Sandy Denny on vocals.

Mull that over :idea:

• Members

I love them both for being great at making music.

Page was more interesting.

Clapton could sing.

I'd miss Page slightly more than Clapton if his work was magically removed from all my ipods etc. but lately I've been enjoying Clapton more since I'm in a songwriter state of mind more than a cool guitar riff state of mind.

So, in conclusion, I vote for world peace and no ugly lesbians!

• Members

I love them both for being great at making music.

Page was more interesting.

Clapton could sing.

I'd miss Page slightly more than Clapton if his work was magically removed from all my ipods etc. but lately I've been enjoying Clapton more since I'm in a songwriter state of mind more than a cool guitar riff state of mind.

So, in conclusion, I vote for world peace and no ugly lesbians!

UNFAIR!

I've got a thing about ugly lesbians.

:thu:

• Members

both EC and Page are great friends of each other. and fans of each others playing.. EC went with the blues breakers and mayall Page went with yardbirds and then Zep... diverging styles... one more rock and metal one more blues and pop.. why compare at all? its like Jeff Beck vs Jango vs C Christian or Santana or .. or..

mho.. and pulling this song vs that song... thats a crap argument and you knows it.. if any one here has any thing that even comes close to the song writting talent that these two possess.. any one on this board.. or any..

not just chops but song smith stuff.. well i sure as hell have not heard it..

and if you are a student of guitar you would respect boths place in music and not run down one to prop up the other..

meh.. just play and enjoy the great music both have given us.. and if you dont appreciate it.. then listen to something else..

thats an idea..

Archived