Lets Do this RIGHT. The Official Page Vrs. Clapton Battle.

DaveAronow

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that rather underpins the point, to be honest. Page and Diddy rocking a massive beat and an impervious riff vs Clapoton and Wycliffe twiddling out some twee faux-Bob Marley blandness. 8 out of 10 cats that weren't dead from the waist down preferred the former.

• Members
I think that rather underpins the point, to be honest. Page and Diddy rocking a massive beat and an impervious riff vs Clapoton and Wycliffe twiddling out some twee faux-Bob Marley blandness. 8 out of 10 cats that weren't dead from the waist down preferred the former.

And yet Clapton has played twice the concerts, sold twice the records, and made twice the money as Pagey. Despite what a bunch of wankers on some website say, the world has voted with their hard-earned cash. The world is so unfair... :idk:

• Members
And yet Clapton has played twice the concerts, sold twice the records, and made twice the money as Pagey. Despite what a bunch of wankers on some website say, the world has voted with their hard-earned cash. The world is so unfair...
:idk:

I dunno what relevance this has. I'm not interested in who is the richest, or who is the most popular.

• Members

I actually tried to think evenhandedly about this question for a few seconds.

Then I realized that, on an iTunes list of 15,000+ songs, I have absolutely nothing by Claption or any project he's had anything to do with. I even deleted him from "The Last Waltz."

And I have every Zep record.

CORRECTION: Just checked: I have the 5th Dimension covering "Sunshine of Your Love."

• Members

1) There is no musician alive who has produced material, either live or studio, of which I have liked without exception. There is always a suck factor somewhere.

2) Famous musicians are not automatically nice guys. Equally being a nice guy or an asshole does not make any difference to whether I like their music.

3) Contests between apples and oranges do not make sense and nobody's taste in music is wrong.

but thats just my opinion.

• Members

1) There is no musician alive who has produced material, either live or studio, of which I have liked without exception. There is always a suck factor somewhere.

2) Famous musicians are not automatically nice guys. Equally being a nice guy or an asshole does not make any difference to whether I like their music.

3) Contests between apples and oranges do not make sense and nobody's taste in music is wrong.

but thats just my opinion.

No YOU'RE wrong, Colonel Sanders :mad:

• Members

I have not figured out why there are even six whole pages on this argument. It doesn't even matter about either Page or Clapton because they were cut from the same blues cloth and era as the great Lord and Savior of guitar Jeff Beck, so now they are deemed "irrelevant" to this poll. :p

• Members
Usually in these Guitar Hero Vs Guitar Hero threads I stay out as I think most of em are Apples and Oranges arguments but this one is different as Page is one of my favoritve guitarists and Ive thought Clapton to be an over-rated hack for a long time now. Sorry.

Based on this, you're saying it's apples and oranges again.:thu:

• Members

Clapton has been living off of the same set of licks that he employed on Bluesbreakers...page at least showed some variation in the stuff he stole...

I'm not arguing with you, but it's a tired argument. Steve Morse and Eric Johnson toast both of these guys as players, but a huge amount of what Eric does was set down on Tones in 85/86 and most of Morse's repertoire we developed in the late 1970s. Gilmour has been playing the same stuff for decades too. BB, Freddie, and Albert King, Frank Zappa, Van Halen, Blackmore, Steve Howe, Gary Moore, Albert Lee, Santana, etc. Even Jeff Beck while having significant moments of style revamping and elevation, the majority of what he's playing these days is still based on the licks he developed back when writing and recording Guitar Shop (more than 20 years ago now).

It's the music and songs that count. I love the music of both guys. I love Clapton's voice. I used to not appreciate Page's playing as much, but it's so idiosyncratic and I couldn't imagine hearing the music played with him. And Unledded with Plant and Live at the Greek with the Black Crowes showed that Page could really kick it live, he just needed to be clean and sober. Clapton's why I play and Page is one of the guys that kept music interesting.

Zeppelin is a great starter band as far a music appreciation goes, as they pulled (or stole) from so many genres that they can really stretch your ears. Eric has focused heavily on the blues and has never been (nor needed to be) apologetic about it. He also was highly influenced by American and Canadian songwriters (Cale and Robertson in particular) and stopped focusing so much on his guitar playing and more on writing and even appreciating and interpreting other peoples music. James Taylor does thing a lot as well. Joe Cocker's (and most classical and jazz musicians) career is based on interpreting or performing music written by others.

• Members

Jimmy Page: Whole Lotta Love, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, In My Time of Dying, Gallows Pole, Black Dog, Custard Pie, Kashmir, The Wanton Song, When the Levee Breaks, Immigrant Song

Clapton: Layla...I Shot the Sherrif (cover version),,,erm...that's it

QED

But that's just your shortsighted take.

I would list albums withe Zep catalog for Page. Clapton would have more albums, but he's recorded a lot more. I voted for equal greatness however. One of the other things I love about both guys is how well they also play acoustics. Like McLaughlin, Steve Howe, Steve Morse, Tommy Emmanuel, Neil Young, and a relatively small group of others, they play acoustic and electric equally well and with unique voices. Neither is as accomplished as many of those listed, but you know them when you here them.

• Members

Let's see tow guys who can actually sing and play guitar preforming a real song with a nice melody and nice little hook compared to Puffy's crap and sampling (albeit with the man himself instead of a sequencer) of one of the overplayed staples of classic rock radio.

I'm amazed how you see this with Page as the winner, were it not for the fact that it's the music and not the players or their politics. YOU like Page and his music a lot and clearly have little use for Clapton. We get it. But not everyone shares or will be convinced of your opinion. I like them both, but the P Diddy's crap even with samples from Zep and the Police is still crap. I'm a huge fan of Bob Marley and I really like Wyclef, but I'm not hearing that influence as much as you are. The groove and arrangement have nothing to do with reggae, but clearly Jean's vocal style is influenced by Bob's.

• Members

Well, that is 100 votes and the results are almost 2 to 1 in favor of Page.

Oh, and this is official, because it says so right in the thread title so it has to be true then.

It has been officially decided.

Jimmy Page= Winner

Eric Clapton= Blows

• Members

Page for me. Just a bit more creative, more daring and part of such an incredible rock and roll combination. Clapton is technically better I guess, certainly as a blues guitarist, but nowhere near as exciting.

this. Except i would give a little bit more credit to Clapton, he IS still a god

Archived