Lets Do this RIGHT. The Official Page Vrs. Clapton Battle.

DaveAronow

• Members

I already said I believe in separating art from the artist. Whether or not he's a nice guy has no relevance to the quality of what he makes. Mick Jagger is an absolute jackass, but has made more brilliant records than most other people you can think of, for example.

I don't know what this "everyone is different" thing means, though. There's nothing beautiful about that Clapton quote, and him saying it certainly does not add anything good to life's rich tapestry.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I already said I believe in separating art from the artist. Whether or not he's a nice guy has no relevance to the quality of what he makes. Mick Jagger is an absolute jackass, but has made more brilliant records than most other people you can think of, for example.

I don't know what this "everyone is different" thing means, though. There's nothing beautiful about that Clapton quote, and him saying it certainly does not add anything good to life's rich tapestry.

You say that you believe in seperating art from the artist, but felt the need to air his dirty laundry for all to see.

My point was that if we all thought and acted the same, what a dull and dreary life it would be. You and I are probably very close on the racist/nationalist subject. I'm living in the Southern depths of the USA, and racism is alive and well here. I agree it's a nasty attitude to have, but doesn't disqualify someone from being an great artist.

• Members

Well, as for "air his dirty laundry", {censored} him, you know. He said what he said, he's an adult, he ought to take responsibility for it. I'm not gossiping about the guy's marriage or anything, I'm talking about him standing on stage at a gig and ranting about wogs. He aired that laundry just fine by himself.

I do agree it's not relevant to his music though. In fact, his music would probably be far more interesting if it expressed a bit more of the black empty void at the core of what passes for his soul. Instead, it's a lot of mid-tempo MOR and hackneyed standards, ideal for wearing cardigans to. :) Go figure.

• Members
Well, as for "air his dirty laundry", {censored} him, you know. He said what he said, he's an adult, he ought to take responsibility for it. I'm not gossiping about the guy's marriage or anything, I'm talking about him standing on stage at a gig and ranting about wogs. He aired that laundry just fine by himself.

I do agree it's not relevant to his music though. In fact, his music would probably be far more interesting if it expressed a bit more of the black empty void at the core of what passes for his soul. Instead, it's a lot of mid-tempo MOR and hackneyed standards, ideal for wearing cardigans to.
:)
Go figure.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• Members

I think he's more of a nationalist than a racist, as it happens, but I find both things equally problematic. And anyone who'll stand on a stage banging on about "{censored}ing wogs" deserves a black eye, no matter how well they play the ukelele or who their mates are, you know?

ok then lets say he did say this crap.,. but then we should also give him credit for all the charity work he has done. no? well..

Live Aid

Nebworth

Cross Roads

and the list can go on and on.. his words at that moment were un excusable.. but that was a moment in time.. since then i dont think he has expounded such tripe... i do know that he has done more benefit shows then i can think of..

and.. thats pretty cool... seems to me he is a very charitable musican..

but thats jmho..

but you dont like clapton you dont like his music so your view is stilted thats why you are holding so fast to this rant..

• Members

ok then lets say he did say this crap.,. but then we should also give him credit for all the charity work he has done. no? well..

Live Aid

Nebworth

Cross Roads

and the list can go on and on.. his words at that moment were un excusable.. but that was a moment in time.. since then i dont think he has expounded such tripe... i do know that he has done more benefit shows then i can think of..

and.. thats pretty cool... seems to me he is a very charitable musican..

but thats jmho..

but you dont like clapton you dont like his music so your view is stilted thats why you are holding so fast to this rant..

I'm not especially holding fast to anything, and I certainly don't think I'm ranting. I'm just replying to things.

There's really no connection between my disinterest in his music and my dislike of the man himself. I like lots of music by people who I think are dreadful people, for example Prince, who seems to be a complete tosser, but has made loads of great records. And equally, there are lots of people who I think are surely really splendid, but I can't be doing with their music. Like, say, Bruce Springsteen. Seems like a really good guy, but am not interested in what he does.

• Members

Seriously cool, even after all these years...
:cool:

You've got to hand it to all three of those guys there; no matter what you might think of them, even just plinking along quietly in the background, they've all got completely distinct styles that you can identify a mile away. I love the contrast between Page thrashing away like a mad old drunk wizard and Edge doing this hyper accurate sixteenth beat single note stuff.

• Members

Clapton was the reason I picked up a guitar, but since the Layla album came out in 1970, he's been pure {censored}. I think he was abducted by aliens and they left the current "Clapton" here as a pod to cover their tracks. He doesn't even look the same before and after, and his playing sounds like a pale watered down version of his former self. Fackin' aliens, I tell ya.

Also Clapton may be racist, but Page used a fish to sexually penetrate a groupie once. :facepalm:

That said, they were both awesome. :thu:

EDIT: Holy cow, Jimmy Page does look like the Queen. :eek:

• Members

Jimmy Page: Whole Lotta Love, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, In My Time of Dying, Gallows Pole, Black Dog, Custard Pie, Kashmir, The Wanton Song, When the Levee Breaks, Immigrant Song

Clapton: Layla...I Shot the Sherrif (cover version),,,erm...that's it

QED

• Members

Also Clapton may be racist, but Page used a fish to sexually penetrate a groupie once.
:facepalm:

Apparently not: tour manager Richard Cole has come clean and said it was him, Bonham and Carmine Appice, who reportedly still has film of the incident. Cole maintains that the rest of the band were nowhere near it. Cole's not a reliable source, though, it must be said.

Couldn't claim to know for sure, but I would imagine this would be more up Cole and Bonham's street, being the rum buggers they were. Page and Jones are too grammar school, and Plant is way too foppish.

• Members

I think he had the fish in his hand, and not on his wedding tackle. I wasn't there when it happened.;)

I wouldn't trust Richard Cole if he told me it was June. His book has been proven to be completely full of {censored}, (as you pointed out.).

Even if he didn't do the fish thing, I doubt he was drinking milk alone in his room. ;)

• Members
I'm dying to see that film. Has it got a UK release yet, does anyone know?

Wow. Now I feel sorry for you!:poke:

It's very good, I have it and have watched it over and over. When you give us The Beatles: Little Black Songbook for the iPhone, we'll give you It Might Get Loud! :lol:

• Members

Imagine being so enduringly cool that even the biggest stars in modern hip hop want to rock with you over one of your most demented and atonal riffs from 35 years ago. That would be awful. Much better to widdle up and down the pentatonic for audience of old duffers at the Crossroads festival that anyone who isn't a guitar nerd hasn't even heard of.

• Members

Imagine being so enduringly cool that even the biggest stars in modern hip hop want to rock with you over one of your most demented and atonal riffs from 35 years ago. That would be awful. Much better to widdle up and down the pentatonic for audience of old duffers at the Crossroads festival that anyone who isn't a guitar nerd hasn't even heard of.

I think 'piddle on the pentatonic' scans better, and runs off the tongue rather well too.

Archived