Lets Do this RIGHT. The Official Page Vrs. Clapton Battle.

DaveAronow

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Or,

Clapton- Have You Ever Loved a Woman

Page- Some minstrel-y, folky song that I can't remember the name of, with Sandy Denny on vocals.

Mull that over
:idea:

Okay, I will-

Clapton's 'Have You Ever Loved a Woman', kind of a pale COPY of Freddie King's great version.

Page's 'The Battle of Evermore' (that's the one you're referring to)- an ORIGINAL song that creates a mood and has textures of sound that were unique at the time, and still sounds powerful and beautiful (to me).

We are poking sticks at each other, all in the spirit of fun!

Now I'll take the opposing point of view-

Clapton- "Deserted Cities of the Heart"

Page- "Hot Dog"

• Members

and if you are a student of guitar you would respect boths place in music and not run down one to prop up the other..

meh.. just play and enjoy the great music both have given us.. and if you dont appreciate it.. then listen to something else..

thats an idea..

That's nice and I agree that you don't have to put one down to express your admiration for the other but surely it's OK to have a favorite?

Personally I like the stuff Clapton did with The Yardbirds and Cream a lot and I don't care for much else; Page did more records that I personally enjoy before starting Zeppelin than Clapton ever did. But I don't think Clapton, and certainly not Clapton fans, should be offended by that, my taste doesn't reflect on his talent even a little bit.

Hopefully this isn't a turd in the punchbowl but I really love this song, 1964, they're both teenagers (or I guess Page had just turned 20), it's got the freakbeat sound he'd develop over the next few years but it still sounds really country. I assume it's his Black Beauty but it sounds like a really funky Tele. I bet Clapton would dig it.

[YOUTUBE]L0Xk6_QUdz4[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Clapton is a better player technically, he has better phrasing, lyrical skills, and can play over a wider variety of genres.

But the magic (for me) of Pages records is not always the playing, but the production. Page was a brilliant producer, stemming from his days as a session guy.

The first sentense is a good summation of why I go with EC - better player, more variety and a good singer t00. Besides, while they both been heavily influence by blues, EC is the one who've acknowledged his depth rather than pass it off as his own

Page was a great producer tough

• Members
Dave,

I am calling them equal. I think if you listed Clapton's influential songs, and Page's the lists would be pretty similar in length. I will say though, that Clapton has seemed to make relevant music over a longer period of time than Page. What has Page done after Zep? So I would say Page had a higher peak, but it happened over a shorter period and Clapton had a longer, slower burn that has kept him relevant to the general population longer.

What has Clapton done after Cream? Page is much more original even including the stuff he allegedly stole. Hes writtten more famouse riffs than Clapton. Even in Cream Jack bruce wrote most of the music. Clapton is famous for doing alot of covers, (Cocaine, I shot the Sheriff, etc) and playing the same Cliched Blues wankery for the last 30 years. IN real life Page is a nicer person. Clapton is an arrogant prick. Pages solo style is much more fiery and exciting even tho he can be really sloppy, at least its distinct and you know its Page every time you hear it. Page has better tones. I could go on and on all day but the correct answer is Mr. Page. :)

• Members

IN real life Page is a nicer person. Clapton is an arrogant prick.

I deliberately didn't go there, but since someone else has, yeah, that Enoch Powell praising mother{censored}er does indeed deserve to rot in hell. As recently as 2006 he was saying in an interview he still held the same views. Prick.

• Members
Page - "The Crunge"

Clapton - "Crossroads"

Let's see?
1.gif

Haha The Crunge was supposed to be a goof although I think the drums and bass sound really awesome on it. I dont think Clapton could play in 5/4 time if his life depended on it. And Crossroads while a cool rendition was not even witten by Clapton. Its basically just wanking on a 1-4-5 blues cover which is basically the story of Claptons life. Lets try this again.

Page -Kashmir
Clapton- Lay Down Sally

hmmm. . .lets see. . :p

• Members

I deliberately didn't go there, but since someone else has, yeah, that Enoch Powell praising mother{censored}er does indeed deserve to rot in hell. As recently as 2006 he was saying in an interview he still held the same views. Prick.

I will fully admit to having no idea what this means.

• Members

Ahh yet another boring blues cover Clap. How hard its it to take old blues songs and put fast electirc guitar solos in em? Millions of wankers do that in bars every night. And that folksy Minstrel-y stuff by Page is another reason I pick him over Clapton. Soooo much more depth and creativity with all his acoustic, alternate tuning stuff.
Usually in these Guitar Hero Vs Guitar Hero threads I stay out as I think most of em are Apples and Oranges arguments but this one is different as Page is one of my favoritve guitarists and Ive thought Clapton to be an over-rated hack for a long time now. Sorry.

• Members

I will fully admit to having no idea what this means.

Enoch Powell was a racist politician of the British Conservatives in the 60s and 70s, who was booted out for making the notorious Rivers of Blood speech. Powell himself is horrifying enough, but more pertinent to Clapton are Clapton's words on it from on stage in the mid 70s:

"I used to be into dope, now I

• Members
Enoch Powell was a racist politician of the British Conservatives in the 60s and 70s, who was booted out for making the notorious Rivers of Blood speech. Powell himself is horrifying enough, but more pertinent to Clapton are Clapton's words on it from on stage in the mid 70s:

Clapton's defenders have often put this down to him being drunk, but 1/ dunno about anyone else, but I don't find myself saying {censored} like this after a few beers and 2/ he told uncut magazine about 5 years ago that his views on the matter hadn't changed.

Obviously, you have to separate the art from the artist and all that, so this has no bearing on whether he's a good guitar player or anything. He is a {censored} though.

:eek:

Archived